Rust warranty proposition

lafa3ro

Reaction score
Hey all, I was lucky enough to get approved for Audi Canada rust warranty. I had bubbles on the trunk besides the left tail light, and on the 2nd bottom part of the right rear door. The car is a 2012 A3 sline, deep ocean pearl blue. I've got a lot done to the car so I'm going to keep it for as long as I can.

The thing is they are asking 30% of the total cost on my part, meaning I have to drop about 2000$ to have it fixed. They are replacing the whole hatch door and rear right door. Quite a lot, but I'm wondering how much would it cost me to have these bubbles fixed properly by a body shop...

Second point, by replacing the whole doors, the paint will be different than the original panels right? Would they be able to make it not noticeable? I'm worried I'll obsess over slightly different color hue...

What would you guys do?
c9f97e93d5998c8f348dba65e1ee8ea1.jpg
ccad5f7d4b6d5aa3ac8e3780e1e87feb.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4a en utilisant Tapatalk

Which ever way you go, the car will need paintwork so you are stuck.
In my experience of nearly 50 years of messing with cars, it is very difficult to totally get rid of rust and sometime down the line it may return.
I was faced with this on our red Mk 4 Golf where the rust came around the boot handle. The whole of the boot was painted and the colour match perfect but 4 years later it is bubbling again.
So the Audi answer may be the better option.
However, it’s worth going to the most highly rated body shop in your area and explain you want a really thorough job doing regarding the rust removal before painting and weigh up the cost. Often, the more paint mixed, the better the colour match.
looking at the colour of your car, my son had an A4 in the same colour and he had rust on the roof. The Audi warranty paint job was perfect but he did not keep the car long enough to see if the rust returned.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, very much appreciated!

I haven't asked body shops for quotes yet but I'd be really surprised if it's less than 1000$ anyway. So with that in mind, it makes sense to have the panels replaced completely so that rust is not creeping back too soon.

Paint difference will most likely show either way, so I guess I'll have to live with that no matter what.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on this subject, that helped tremendously.

Now if only the dealer was kind enough to provide a car while the work is being done...

Black paint is usually easy to match. If the warranty is paying for the repair, why do you have to pay?

They only cover 70% of the total cost on this case. I heard that 6 years old and younger gets 100% coverage, rest up to 12 years old gets 70%. At least in Canada.

My car is (very) dark blue, hopefully it's as "easy" as black.

Just wanted to wrap this up, the doors were changed and the paint match is absolutely perfect. Not exactly cheap, but worth it for me.

Not the best pics since it's winter here and cars stay clean for 10 minutes after a wash...

Free hatch debadge as well.
e3222012e3ddf1d72bbbb80f0be2be9e.jpg
d94fc3dfe3823962761eb3b7865f4579.jpg
26c84cc5db1f8648545675bcdaa4d83a.jpg