Rust on my roof rails has returned!

Westy

Reaction score
While washing my car over the weekend I noticed that the bubbling of rust has returned to my passenger side roof rail less than 4 months after having it treated and resprayed!

Some of you may be aware that I had my rust and paint work done by an independant garrage after my anti corrosion claim was rejected by Audi due to the car already being sprayed down the passenger side.

Has anyone else had theirs fixed and noticed the rust return? Does anyone know the best way to treat this issue so that it doesn't keep returning? I dont fany forking out £200 every 4 months!

Thats no good, As said below take it back and ask for it to be done again.

Can the roof rails be removed and replaced?

Yep you can pull the rails out and replace them, Also when they are out there will be no affects (Water leaking though etc).

So why do they treat the rust than replace and paint? Cost? As our A3 has signs of this, but obv been fully resprayed so would no doubt get rejected

I will be taking it back to see what they say. The guy who did it is a life long mate of my girlfriends step dad so he did it for a nice price cash in hand. I bought a brand new rail which he put in because the old one was bent where it had been out before and just reused.

I was kind of expecting the rust to resurface again at some point but not after 4 months!

hmmm.. ive had similar problems,

Had both sides done 2-3 years ago (under warranty by audi), both sides have been redone again since then and now its back for a 3rd time....

really getting annoyed now.

I know the car is now 8 years old but the rest of the body / paintwork is like new and its not like i haven't looked after the car.

Really annoyed.

What would the consequence be, if you just had old roof rails taken out and filled, leaving you with a smooth roof :think:

The rust itself isn't actually on the rail as I believe that's aluminium. The rust tends to appear on the part of roof just outside the rail.

I think if the rails were filled it would look pony, and it wouldn't necessarily stop the rust from coming back.

hmmm, took it to the same garage and its booked in for another (3rd) repair. Haven't paid a penny so far in any of these repairs so its just inconvenient.

This time they didnt even come out to see the car - just said (in a disheartened manor, followed by a sigh) sure well book it in again and do it. We've had loads of these...

Bit annoying isn't it. Did you have a new rail fitted every time or just reuse the same one?

I'll be visiting the garage soon to discuss with them but i'm not convinced they're going to fix it for free.

I was told that once old rail comes out, new one's have to be put in place, for it's not that easy fetching them out and basically they bend and if you do manage to use the old ones, never sit right in groove.

Last edited:
the old rails should be fine, they come out easily. I remove mine twice a year just to keep an eye on the rust problem.

just dont go mad and take them out carefully.

if you have no luck with your body shop i work for a body shop in enfield quite close to you and im sure we could sort it out for you?pm me.

Uhhnn... this is kinda disheartening. Having my S3 go into the bodyshop in a couple of weeks to have this fixed, from what I know, for the first time. The guy at the shop said it happens because of the way they're assembled; ie. they paint everything, and then putting the actual rails in is enough to scratch the paint, and that in conjunction with small amounts of water getting in under the rail causes it to happen.

What do you guys think of that theory? I asked him if he can primer/rust proof the hell out of it before putting them in, he said odds are it will come back.

Sadface.

it is disheartening mate. I kind of expected it to come back maybe in a year or two but not in 3 and half months!!! :banghead:

I never thought id be figghting with rust on a 7 year old Audi! I used to own a 16 year old Renault and never had any issues with rust!

had my rust done on the roof and the bottom of the quarters by the audi dealer 2/3 years ago and the rust spot has come back on the quarter,cars a w reg,not taking it back and will live with it as they would not do it a second time i would have thought,the only real way off getting rid of rust is to cut it out,you wont stop it once it is in the panel,bummer i know

the body shop i have taken mine to is an approved audi / VW one (think its actually run by the same group as the main dealer).

They say they have seen millions of roof rails going on all sorts of VAG cars - lupo's, golfs, a3's etc.

The roof is aluminum but the side stripes (which form part of the rear quarter / A post etc) are steel. Where they are joined and sealed is where the water gets in. Rubbish design if you ask me.

Sooo... how can we stop this from coming back? Any thoughts?

Sooo... how can we stop this from coming back? Any thoughts?

I thinking that the only way to stop the rust once its in the rear quater is to have it cut out but that wont be cheap.

The body shop I used want me to pay them again to do the work and I dont think they did a very good job so I'm not going to them again!

I'm going to get a few quotes done and ask around for a possible solution.

The 8L S3 has such a cult following and no doubt will be classed as a classic car in years to come. Unfortunately it will be remembered by most as a rust bucket :blownose:

Hi,
Silly question perhaps - but how do I get the rails out? I want to have a go at treating the rust on my car before it gets bad.

Hi,
Silly question perhaps - but how do I get the rails out? I want to have a go at treating the rust on my car before it gets bad.

What age is your car?

Audi have a 12 year anti corrosion warranty, and there is a HUGE thread on here which shows the actions you need to take and probable outcomes.

I claimed through audi, came back a yr later, complained and they sorted it again for me. Take it back

Had my roof corrosion sorted by Audi's approved repairer in Plymouth 3.5 years ago and touch wood no signs of it returning. If yours was done 4 moths ago I'd suggest that it's not of merchantable quality and under sale of goods act they should redo it.

Good luck with it
Nige