running troubles!

howdy quattro

Reaction score
alright lads, only me again! got abit of trouble with my 1.8t, seems to be more of a problem when its cold but still happens when its warmed up. 1st of all it started as just a problem when i set of in 1st at low revs, it pulled real badly and felt like it would die if i didn't rag the **** off it to pull away. but this mornin i backed out of my driveway, went to put it in 1st and as i started to pull forwards it just died, didn't judder like i stalled it or owt, it just died, so i struck it up to pull off again and it died again with no judder, but i got enough momentum goin just to pull to the side of the road, struck it up again and it would idle fine, but the second i touched the throttle the engine died, so i struck it up, left it to warm up, and then tried the throttle, it didn't die, so i gingerly pulled off and it was ok, apart from still pullin like a shed!! i do hav a dump valve fitted which i have had trouble with but when its not pulling well i cant hear any boost leaks from anywhere, includin the bov, but i'm gonna take it off anyway just incase it could be that but i'm gonna wait for the engine to cool down first! but i really dont think it can be that at fault, and i doubt(i hope)its the turbo coz its not noisy and doesn't smoke, so maybe a sensor?!? the engine management light comes on and goes off intermittantly too but it doesn't seem to coincide when the fault occurs. anyone got any ideas?!? if ur all still awake!!

Try disconnecting the MAF and give it a go Howdy, Just wanna eliminate that first....

bov ? do you have an atmospheric dump valve ?
yes mate, twin pistoned one, always had em in all my turbo'd motors. dude, you were up late last night!! gonna give juss's suggestion a go once i've got these ho's outta my driveway!!