1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Running in ?

The Veteran Jan 4, 2020

1. The Veteran

The Veteran New Member

What process did you follow when you ran in your new engines, I realise not everyone run there cars in but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. JS46

JS46 New Member

The trick with modern engines is to just drive steadily/normally from the start. Don't use large throttle openings. Do not to lug the engine at low speeds and don't be afraid to rev it a little (say 4000 rev/min) under light load right from the start. With modern oils, it's necessary to do this to make sure the engine components, particularly piston rings, bed in properly from the start. You only get one chance to bed the engine in. Don't change the engine oil early as new oil will reduce the bedding in of the engine.
    JS

4. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator X3 M-Sport Alpine White

5. The Veteran

The Veteran New Member

JS46, Thanks for that reply, Have always followed your recommendation in the past and I have commenced my RS3 pretty much as I have my past cars.

Bristle Hound,thanks for that info which I found have found interesting and thought provoking .