1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Running in tdi engine

A4B9 Feb 17, 2016

1. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

do you need to run in a Diesel engine on a new car as the rpm are so low anyway or do you just drive them normally and hold off really putting your foot down and straying over 2000 rpm for the first 1000 miles?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

No need to run in modern car to be honest, but nothing wrong with taking it easy for the first 500 miles. I'd just drive it normally personally.

4. Scottyg

Scottyg Well-Known Member

I booted mine from day one. No issues whatsoever in first year and just had its first service with totally clean bill of health.

5. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member

Diesel engines won't be properly run in until about 15,000 miles. They tend to use a little more oil and less mpg in that period. So your mpg will steadily rise for that period and oil consumption should be zero in between services. I wouldn't thrash it for a year though, after that anything goes.

6. Scottyg

Scottyg Well-Known Member

A year? That's a very long time to drive like Miss Daisy and contrary to what Audi say.

7. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Just drive it normally. Modern engines don't need running in as such. Most of the wear happens in the first few minutes of starting when the engine is cold, This is where you need to be a little more careful, this applies to engines new and old.

8. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member

You don't have to drive like Miss Daisy as the desertstorm points out. Drive sensibly when the engine oil is cold.

A4B9 likes this.
  9. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info chaps, much appreciated

10. Snibo

Snibo Active Member

Keep it at or around 2-3k revs for the first 3k miles.
    Nice and easy acceleration / even easier braking.

Trouble-free motoring then for the next 15 years plus.

11. AudiSpy

AudiSpy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Like most things wait for it to warm up then do as you please!