Facelift running in fl rs3

The majority will follow the soft run in period and then there’s people out there that drive it hard from day one.

I must admit, I’ve never run a car in by the book. There’s a lot of evidence out there to do the opposite and use the full rev range in order to bed the engine in properly.

I’m not ragging the car like I stole it but I am trying to use the full rev range in 2/3/4 at least once every 25 miles or so. Constant revs are no use for bedding in an engine. Having the car in dynamic will keep the car downshifting into lower gears and higher revs so the engine is not stuck at 2000rpm all the time.

Demo cars are driven hard from day 1 for example as are press cars, a lot of those are sold on and have no issues at all.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I am afraid that I am in the 'drive it like you stole it' camp right out of the box. I am too impatient anyway so there is no real option.

Anyway, if something is going to go bang then better off it happens well into the warranty period imo.

Reactions: Evotion and FBF01
They need to update that manual then to say 'Thrash the crap out of it right from the moment we toss you the keys'.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and FBF01
Oil temp to 80 then give it death imho.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zippster, g5und, Evotion and 1 other person
The majority will follow the soft run in period and then there’s people out there that drive it hard from day one.

I must admit, I’ve never run a car in by the book. There’s a lot of evidence out there to do the opposite and use the full rev range in order to bed the engine in properly.

I’m not ragging the car like I stole it but I am trying to use the full rev range in 2/3/4 at least once every 25 miles or so. Constant revs are no use for bedding in an engine. Having the car in dynamic will keep the car downshifting into lower gears and higher revs so the engine is not stuck at 2000rpm all the time.

Demo cars are driven hard from day 1 for example as are press cars, a lot of those are sold on and have no issues at all.

It’s a near 200 mile drive back for me from the PPF place, much to my Dad’s displease I have told him I will be on country roads. He may end up shooting down the motorway, but I will be on A-Roads all the way back to vary load.

Interesting thought to put the gearbox in Sport, that’s good to vary revs when you aren’t really trying to and my upper limit to start with will be 4000rpm so will work well.

My opinion is based on my experience obviously.

I always drive hard as many here and also from day one.

My brother has another RS3 8v and he did the traditional way, 2000km driving like a grandpa.

I ve been driving my RS3 8v it sportly/hard from day one.

His RS3 in 10000km drinks 1L of 5w30 ( now it has 40000km)

My RS3 in 10000km drinks less than 0.5L of 5w30 ( now it has 72000km)

On dyno his RS3 makes 381HP and 486Nm,

On dyno my RsS3 ( the same day ) made 366HP and 498Nm.

regards

I did give it the slight beans up to about 4.5 to 5k revs overtaking a dawdling moron doing 25 in a 60. I can ****** cycle quicker.

Have to say, car sounds epic under load and more refined than the pfl. Also sounds way better than the s3, which sounds crap in comparison. One thing though is it didn't feel that much quicker than the s3 and the power deliver feels different, more linear, s3 feels explosive low down. Rs3 just keeps going

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01 and AudiNutta
I did give it the slight beans up to about 4.5 to 5k revs overtaking a dawdling moron doing 25 in a 60. I can ****** cycle quicker.

Have to say, car sounds epic under load and more refined than the pfl. Also sounds way better than the s3, which sounds **** in comparison. One thing though is it didn't feel that much quicker than the s3 and the power deliver feels different, more linear, s3 feels explosive low down. Rs3 just keeps going

I couldn’t agree more with the S3 comparison. I have a Golf R manual and was expecting to be blown away by the speed in my test drive....it felt marginally quicker to me, but as you say, keep your foot in and the thing just doesn’t give up. Over 100 just went like hell on my private track...ahem :wink:

Last edited:
Blimey, I have no patience. I would be a day 1 freakster nutter.

Except on a new Ferrari, Lambo or other supercar perhaps.
I very rarely buy new though due to the depreciation hit so have not had to worry about it for years.