Running in a new RS3

mole-uk

Reaction score
Hi all , just a quick question .
When I was road testing the A45 I noticed a sticker on the windscreen saying it had a running in period . I've only ever known this on my motorbikes . Does the RS3 have the same recommend running details and does every one stick to it ?
Thanks for any replies

Most people tend to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. Some people prefer 500. Others floor it from day 1. Everyone will have their own preference with regards to running in.

With modern cars these days, once the engine is up to operating temperature it should be fine to drive enthusiastically. Just don't do endless launch starts LOL. If you are worried - a few hundred miles of 4k rpm max will keep your mind at rest.

The manual does state to take it easy for 500kms and then gradually build u to max revs from 500-1500kms. But as above, modern engines have such fine tolerances in manufacture that it's not as necessary as of old. Once the engine is up to temp then just enjoy it.
There is also the school of thought that an engine that is not nannied in run in will give a move rev happy engaging drive in the long run.

Reactions: Kristijan Sabljar and Spaceman_RS3
Thanks , many bikers say the same about engines that have been given some stick from day one seem to be the quickest ( bike that I have now was actually limited from the factory till I'd had the 600 mile service )

Look after her and treat her with respect.

First few times out, stay within the first base limits and believe her when she says you might not be able to handle her!

Then once you have been seeing her a while and she's well oiled try a little thrust and I'm sure she will respond, then when you have her full respect and she's a bit tipsy on v-power try pulling her reigns and she will bolt like no other. Calsberg don't do girlfriends.....but they do RS3's.

Reactions: Beebee-one, AudiNutta, Colin A and 3 others
OK, so that's the engine covered, but what about all the other bits: brakes, tyres, transmission, etc?

There's usually something in the manual about running or breaking in. There is in the A3 S3 manual.
You can either take the manufacturers advice or go your own way.....

Done it my way for the past few cars and all been fine. The way I see it is if it breaks....get it fixed under warranty.

two audi master techs have now told me there is no need nowdays for running in periods. basically was along the lines of what jose said about fine tolerances etc. Im going to run mine in pretty hard (so basically I'm not running it in lol)

It all has a lot to do with the type of honing used for the bores.

Another thought after running in a few new bikes over recent years is there a need to change oil and filter after the first say 300-500 miles. Normal procedure on the bikes has been the first 100-200 miles nice twisty roads accelerate fairly hard, close throttle quickly and allow the engine back pressure to slow the bike down, repeat as often as possible over the 100-200miles and then fresh oil and filter. It's amazing how much build / machining debris is stuck to the mag/oil drain plug when it's removed. I'm thinking of following the same process with the car or is there no need? are they run in and build debris removed on a production test rig ?

Our dealer (for the S3) told us no oil change needed until first service eg won't happen until 10k plus miles :eek:

TX.

The manual says be gentle in first 1000 km of use with 2/3 revs max, then gradual increase from 1000km to 1500km.

But we've driven it hardish in the first 500 miles so far. Main thing is to not make the engine labour at low revs, or cruise at long period at same revs

I did the same. I just always wait for the engine to reach at least 80 degree Celcius and...:hearteyes:

I'm picking up my rs3 today it's already done 1500 miles, I rang Tamworth Audi to ask what the running in period was and the they said it's 10000 miles or after 1 year (until 1st service) because that's when any loose metal particles will be flushed out with the oil change. Are they talking wet?

Last edited:
It's 1000 km not 10000 miles! Already run in imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I oil change every new car or engine rebuild after 1k miles just to be safe.

Reactions: BottomFeeder and Spencer589
It all has a lot to do with the type of honing used for the bores.

Cylinder bores in the new alloy engine are Plasma coated. I guess its to reduce/minimise the possibility of any scoring of the bore as you cant re-sleeve these engines like the old vermicular graphite cast iron ones in the previous model.

Reactions: DW81
When mine arrives shortly, my plan is to take it slow (below 4k and avoid staying at the same revs for too long) for the first 200 miles - then unleash all 400 horses! Won't be doing a launch until at least 1,000 miles though.

All down to preference in my opinion.

Reactions: Phil3
When mine arrives shortly, my plan is to take it slow (below 4k and avoid staying at the same revs for too long) for the first 200 miles - then unleash all 400 horses! Won't be doing a launch until at least 1,000 miles though.

All down to preference in my opinion.

Very similar to me... apart from I’ll be being careful with it for more say 400-500 ish miles and then off we go :icon thumright:

As you say... all personal choice really... some people will go all out from the day they pick it up and some won’t

Reactions: Callump01
When mine arrives (hopefully Thursday) I am going to put it in dynamic and see how it sounds... will I be careful; sure. Personally with my S3 I think I gave it a couple of hundred miles then occasionally would give it a burst now and again.

I am not sure that running in is really needed - we can all see there is some disagreement. But it doesn't hurt to take it easy at first.

The manual does state to take it easy for 500kms and then gradually build u to max revs from 500-1500kms. But as above, modern engines have such fine tolerances in manufacture that it's not as necessary as of old. Once the engine is up to temp then just enjoy it.
There is also the school of thought that an engine that is not nannied in run in will give a move rev happy engaging drive in the long run.

There are lots of theories, i did with my Mk7 R easy 1000km(3-4000rpm) then i was raising rpm till 1500km. Car was consuming 1dl of oil at 1000km.

At 44000km injector died and engine replaced in warranty. I did 5 km with new engine and flash stage 2 map , did 300km easy 3-4000 revs then every 100km i raised 1000 rpm. At 700km full throttle. That engine consumed 0.5dl of oil per 1000km, i did stage 3 kit 480hp and car is still running after 50000km. So my point dont be nanny. Let it 200-300kmh slow then start use car.

I believe i have now fastets RS3 FL i did 300km 3-4000rpm, every 100km 1000rpm more, 800km full banana , first LC at 1500km

Car is doing 3.88sec 0-100kmh
9.1 sec 100-200kmh

Reactions: D0C
Looks like I'll be doing a lot of driving around when mine arrives… 1000 miles ASAP! Haha.