Running different diameter front and rear wheels

AdamZA

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm considering going down the path of a staggered set up on my RS7. I have 21" stock wheels all around at the moment and I'm thinking of something like Niche Essen wheels, but running 21" front and 22" rear. I think it would compliment the profile of the car.

Could anyone tell me any implications of doing this please? Would it screw anything up?

I know the tyre size difference should be ±2.5% at most to limit the speedometer inaccuracy, but what other things do I need to take into consideration?

Thanks,

Hi. My understanding is that you need to keep the rolling diameter of your wheels the same so as not to affect your speedo. So if you increase the rim size you will need to find out which profile tyre will maintain your standard rolling diameter. And it will change as your choice of tyre width changes.(Because tyre wall height is a ratio of the tyre width and therefore keeps changing the rolling diameter).

For example my S3 came with 18" rims and tyres that were 225/45/18 ( I think the profile was 45 , it doesn't really matter for the sake of the example). I wanted 19" rims so I chose tyres that were 235/35/19 because these were one option that would maintain my standard rolling diameter, and therefore not affect my speedo.
2 different sized rims and you have to do this twice. But if its just a look you're trying to achieve there are probably better options like suspension. As for if the larger rims will fit without rubbing under the gaurds I don't know. Width is certainly a factor.

I hope this helps and good luck :)

Oh I just read you want to run staggered. On a quattro I don't know if anyone would advise that.

Different rolling diameters between front and back could cause centre diff problems, that would be my main concern.

Oh I just read you want to run staggered. On a quattro I don't know if anyone would advise that.
Agreed there are far worse consequences than the speedo being out :)

quattro .

Keep to the same wheels and make and size of tyre .
So you don't think it's a good idea the change I'm making to mine? I'm pretty sure Europe gets them with 19"