Running cost comparison S4 Tfsi vs 3.0 Tdi 272

willie

Reaction score
Hello,

I meant to replace an old car a year or so ago and was looking at the comparison between a 2.0 tfsi and the tdi 272. Things happened and nothing happened and now I'm looking again, only this time the petrol S4 is within range so i'm just wondering on how the two compare on running costs and engine longevity. I'm guessing I'd work on 10k miles a year.

So what I'm asking I guess is some guidance on servicing/running costs between the two. Is 23 mpg for the s4 a fair starting point? and how reliable is the s4 engine? I've run v6 diesels before so know what to expect there, but have no clue about v6 petrol.

I know the s4 will cost more, but if I can quantify it then my decision making will hopefully be easier

Thanks in advance,

The mpg will depend hugely on how you’re driving the S4, and in what environment.

Doing a 4 mile commute I would get around the 23mpg you’re using, but when I moved jobs and it was 20 miles each way I was getting closer to 35 mpg. Short stint versus longer and on the dual carriageway... So it really depends.

I can tell you that I had an A4 3.0 tdi as well, and for the same trips it wasn’t massively better on mpg. For the extra fun, sound and ability to rev it out, for 10k miles I’d recommend the S4 every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I'm was guessing at a 10 mpg difference between the two, sounds roughly right for longer journeys, although shorter journeys maybe slightly less.

Do you find the not a huge difference in servicing and maintenance between the two?

I'm looking at the latter years of the petrol S4s so around 30k miles. I wouldn't blink at buying a diesel at this mileage, but what kind of longevity does the S4 engine have?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'm was guessing at a 10 mpg difference between the two, sounds roughly right for longer journeys, although shorter journeys maybe slightly less.

Do you find the not a huge difference in servicing and maintenance between the two?

I'm looking at the latter years of the petrol S4s so around 30k miles. I wouldn't blink at buying a diesel at this mileage, but what kind of longevity does the S4 engine have?

Thanks.

I really can’t advise on the life of the engine because I swapped mine at around the 20k mark.

For servicing, I used a local independent rather than Audi because I know and trust them more and it was sub-£300 for the first couple services on the S4. The A4 was similar from them though as the quantities of oil and things weren’t miles off. Couldn’t comment on what Audi themselves would charge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my S4 recently . I averaged over 32mpg, but mostly in efficiency mode with switch to dynamic now and then . If you drive it in dynamic all the time , you’ll knock 30% off that I reckon.

my diesel S5 is getting 33 right now, but it’s new (1K miles) and is only doing short runs around town due to lockdown , where the S4 would have got 23-24 abs max around town , sometimes 19-20 if it was really cold .

Inpection service was 520 oil and was 230 ish at local dealer . In 40K had 2 inspection services (includes oil) and 2 vanilla oil services . There is no gearbox oil change on S4 , it’s sealed .

never had any problem in 40K miles on S4. Cracking car . But not as good looking as my S5

Thanks alot.

Interesting comparisons. You prefer your diesel S5 to your petrol S4 then!!!

I think I need to have some test drives when the time is right. Wondering if I should push the boat out a little for a diesel S4, decisions, decisions. I know diesel is being demonised, but euro 6 still has another decade left in it yet, surely.

Thanks alot.

Interesting comparisons. You prefer your diesel S5 to your petrol S4 then!!!

I think I need to have some test drives when the time is right. Wondering if I should push the boat out a little for a diesel S4, decisions, decisions. I know diesel is being demonised, but euro 6 still has another decade left in it yet, surely.

Not sure yet. I know I’ll spend a lot less time at the fuel station. And I like the lower coupe style . And it looks great ...an absolute torque monster . I’ve run it it now & opened it up a couple of times . More rapid , I think, but less drama ..way less drama to get up to speed ... not much noise . But that scares me .. at least with S4, the engine noise told you.. the sound resonator in the Diesel v6 is quite muted .. So it’s more of an ultimate cruiser vs the S4, albeit a bit more rapid ( perception maybe )..
8B6E5CD1 505F 485C 8F9E 76CF2549C065

10k a year might mean the petrol engine might be better. The differences between the mpg of a diesel versus the cost of a litre of fuel is very much narrower...

Reactions: Sibmets
Nice looking S5. Torque is a wonderous thing, I had a C350 mapped to 290/690 and that floated along pretty effortlessly, which is one of the reasons I like the idea of a 272 and then mapping it maybe.