Run flats ?

hi, I will be looking to get ready for adding winter tyres to my C6 allroad running 225/55/17.
Has anyone any experience of using run flats ?
Thanks,
Si

In the owners manual it states - "Please ask your Audi dealer or qualified workshop whether run flat tyres can be used on your vehicle.
Unauthorised use of these tyres can invalidate the vehicles type approval for use on public roads. Furthermore, this could cause damage to your vehicle and possible also result in an accident."

Last edited:
Don't think I ever heard of an Audi using run flats, I know a lot of the BM lads chuck them away & get standard tyres as the car handles better.

I had continental run flats on my x5 and they were brilliant couldn't fault them don't know about audi though

You shouldn't run a car with run flats if it doesn't have the tyre pressure monitoring ability to tell you the tyre is flat.
Otherwise you could be trundling along the motorway at 70 ish with a flat, The tyre will get very hot and when you come to make a lane change manoeuvre at speed it won't handle as you expect. If I owned a car with run flats I would be binning them and getting normal tyres. You get better ride and handling usually and the tyres are cheaper. Invest in a can of gloop and a compressor.
Our next door neighbour's wife has a Mini Cooper and that had run flats, I was talking to him the one day and he was complaining about the price of the tyres after I spoke to him he fitted some Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and he says the car is nicer to drive and quieter.

I had a puncture with run flats on and you can tell when it's not got any air it but that was on a big car (x5) probably wouldn't on a low profile tyre

If the TPMS system in your car has valve in the tyres there is a lot of extra wiring and a module to install so not really on. You would be better off just selling the tyres and getting non run flats if you are worried.
Personally I would leave them on now they are fitted. I just wouldn't have fitted them in the first place.
As stated above it's more difficult to detect if a low profile run flat has lost pressure, You should be able to feel a loss of pressure with a 55 profile tyre though.
Was there any particular reason for fitting run flats?. Just out of interest try taking one tyre down to 20 PSI and see what it drives like, If it's obvious and you can feel it then there shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-d4/225-55-r17-97h-353996

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-a3/225-55-r17-101v-51776

Thanks again for the reply mate.
I bought them for£160 for 4 with 6mm of tread on all 4 so I bought them on price mate never really thought that I needed tpms
I kept to the stock size that's currently my summers not to affect handling. Maybe I could fit an aftermarket tpms off eBay ?
I'm not really worried about them but it would be hassle prob to try and sell them
They have not been fitted as yet mate,

Kind regards,

Si

Bargain price for a good tyre. I would just fit them and enjoy the extra grip whilst all around you are struggling :) .
That is assuming we get the winter that some forecasters are saying we will. We could just as easily end up with one like last winter.

Reactions: dentsy
Yes it was a good price mate for Dunlops and delivered next day
Everyone around me has always said winter tyres a waste of money they are talking through the there **** as I been running them now for the last 4 years and they defo make a difference and on my Quattro should be laughing all the way up the hills
I hope
I will prob buy some tps valves with the indicators on even though I always check my pressures regularly.

Si