Run Flat tyres

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Run Flay tyres on an A3. My 8V is fitted currently fitted with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres which I like and I see that Dunlop do make a Run Flat version.

I currently have a space-saver spare but with the problems I have with my legs there is no way I would be able to change a tyre myself. I know I could call on Audi Assistance but they can sometimes take a while to arrive. I suppose the other alternative would be to use the foam system similar to that is provided on my wife's A1.

Anyone have any views on the alternatives?

Reactions: DescendDescend
In my experience, run-flats destroy the ride-quality of a car :(

The foam solution means that you have to buy a new tyre, the space saver is a extremely cost effective solution. But I guess if you would personally rather not change the wheel yourself, the only option is to wait for Audi Assistance.

The foam solution means that you have to buy a new tyre, the space saver is a extremely cost effective solution. But I guess if you would personally rather not change the wheel yourself, the only option is to wait for Audi Assistance.

+1.
Spot on answer.

I changed the 18" run-flats for non-run flats on my X5 because the ride was so bad. However I rented a 116d last year that had 16" run flats and the ride was excellent. So who knows what they will feel like on an A3?

As I understand it, you can only use run flats if the wheel has been designed for them - if it has then you can use run flats and non-run flats on the rim. I don't know if A3 wheels are designed for run flats.

Can somebody elaborate on Audi Assistance

Is this something I have to pay extra for

This is the Audi Breakdown Service which is covered FOC for the first 3 years of a new car.

Audi Roadside Assistance

Your new car comes complete with 3
years’ complimentary roadside assistance
and recovery across the UK, provided
by Automobile Association Insurance
Services Limited. Also included is
roadside assistance throughout Europe,
managed by Automobile Association
Insurance Services Limited.

Last edited:
Runflat tyre ride quality depends on the profile or sidewall depth of the tyre. A 16" runflat should give a fairly good ride quality, a 19" runflat, from personal experience, is almost a back breaker.

I swapped 19" runflats on my 3 series Coupe to Vredestien normal tyres and it made a huge difference. I carried a goo kit and a compressor in the boot just in case. The Slime kit I had could be washed out with warm water and the AA also carry these.

Emergency Slime Smart Repair Tyre Pump Puncture Inflator Compressor Sealant Kit | eBay

It not so much 'rather not change the wheel yourself' as not being physically able to change it. In the UK I think I would be quite happy to wait for Audi Assistance as I very rarely going anywhere where time is important.

I am more concerned about my drives to Germany and having to get a wheel changed on a Sunday in France with 300-400 miles still to go. In the past I have carried a spare steel full size wheel and tyre in the boot but that is not possible with the quattro unless of course I put the wheel behind the passenger seat. I will have to try and see what options are possible.

I'm not sure you can fit a RFT tyre to a non designed RFT wheel. I know you can fit a non RFT tyre to a RFT wheel though.
The rim lips where the tyre bead sits are slightly thicker to help the tyre stay mounted when ran flat.

As a side not Audi Assist is European covered....

Run flat tyres can only be mounted to a Specific rim which is denoted JJ rather than the standard J rims used on conventional cars.

Reactions: audicruiser
Had run flats on my BMW 320D touring - ride was poor, also quite noisy and wore out quickly. I wouldn't have them again.

Run flats are the devils work..................
Similar to having wooden wheels on your car. It's like some one has removed your suspension. I've had cars with run flats, bad enough to make me sell them. Grip is poor, particularly in the wet, no side wall flex.

Veeeight is spot on.........

Reactions: markwiggy and veeeight
I had a BMW 123d with runflats, it was dreadful, the ride was terrible as was the grip. Never again.

Mark