Rumours about software update removing pops and bangs from exhaust ?

Someone posted a before and after video of the exhaust once Audi had done an update. Seemed very clear that they had muted the pops and crackles somewhat.

Links?

It already has barely any, only really when its cold, certainly NOT when its hot.

Links?

It already has barely any, only really when its cold, certainly NOT when its hot.
Indeed. If you listen to the 66 plate TTRS's that were given to journalists, you'll hear pops and crackles. Not so on the new ones and of course the FL RS3.

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Indeed. If you listen to the 66 plate TTRS's that were given to journalists, you'll hear pops and crackles. Not so on the new ones and of course the FL RS3.
Honestly does suck I’ve got an S4 2018 on order but my next car will be An Rs3 after that. Only reason I like the Rs3 is because of the Noise.

This thread was giving me the impression we are talking about right now, not press cars or PFL vs FL.

Indeed, the update was carried out at the first TT RS (400hp).
Meanwhile, all new RS motors (400hp) are equipped from the factory with the new software.

Update

I'm not sure I understand - do all FL RS3's have this update since new? Or has it been introduced since the FL launch?

I'm not sure I understand - do all FL RS3's have this update since new? Or has it been introduced since the FL launch?
Like I say..."all new RS motors (400hp) are equipped from the factory with the new software".
So yes all FL RS3's have the update since new. The TTRS (400hp) is 1 year older.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Ok thanks for the clarification. You could interpret 'all new RS motors' in two different ways.

So I guess nothing has changed, we already know the facelift has lost the pops and bangs.

Feel sorry for those with pre-facelift cars if the software update affects those cars as well!

Last edited:
That’s one of the reasons I will not be taking my rs to any dealership for this sort of software update. I bought the car for the noise pops and crackles it makes as well has everything else it does so well, Audi can do one as far as I’m concerned

Reactions: E15, Nigel Purvis and Evil Diesel
Yeah, but to never buy an RS3 again because it does not pops and bangs anymore..? It is unfortunate indeed, but the RS3 gives so much more like, the beautiful 5cyl sound who makes a very nice sound with the sports exhaust, for me even more deeper and louder than the PFL, the power,...etc. No doubt the RS3 FL remains absolutly a beauty of a car even without pops other bangs.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81
I don't know if the software is there but our 2 RS3 had their catalyst changed.

1 with 63000km and the other one with 51000km.

also lambda sensor was changed as I had engine error.

regards

Indeed, the update was carried out at the first TT RS (400hp).
Meanwhile, all new RS motors (400hp) are equipped from the factory with the new software.

View attachment 151649

I imagine that the unburnt fuel causing the real bangs in the PFL is creating havoc with the cat. Probably a price worth paying inho.

So just to confirm if I take my PFL for its end of warranty check, they could remove the pops and bangs from the exhaust? It’s already a standard exhaust I don’t want to lose anything..... :-/

Is there a actual update for the PFL RS3 at Audi?

I wouldn't let them near the ECU if it was me - even more so if you are at the end of the warranty period.

I wouldn't let them near the ECU if it was me - even more so if you are at the end of the warranty period.

I have actually asked the dealership who is selling the car to book it into Audi before I purchase for them to check for any faults etc,
Reading this post has now got me thinking to tell them to scrap that idea!

The reason I’m getting the car is the noise even on the standard exhaust it sounds immense!

So you think I should forget about that EOW check?

Last edited:
Yep - bad idea. Keep the car as far away from Audi as you can.

Reactions: LeeJH
Ok!! Thank you for the heads up!!

Il ring the dealership and ask them to scrap that idea!

Has anyone had a secondary decat with standard exhaust I am thinking of doing it in the future if it makes a good difference, i just want to keep the pops and bangs! Can’t really get a sports exhaust with the Mrs already had enough grief of getting rid of a ‘family car’ for a RS3 haha

I feel for you on that one - thankfully I took the Mrs along when I test drove mine and the kids just provide a cheerleading squad. 'Only one rev Daddy' I am told on shutdown (which means 2 at least) - oh yeah!

Reactions: E15
I feel for you on that one - thankfully I took the Mrs along when I test drove mine and the kids just provide a cheerleading squad. 'Only one rev Daddy' I am told on shutdown (which means 2 at least) - oh yeah!

Haha my Mrs won’t look at cars with me Iv had 3 in 13 months! Golf R then 335D now awaiting the RS3.

Is there any general faults to keep a eye out for on the pfl?

Not sure about the PFL - my Fl has been a dealer inflicted disaster. Great car nonetheless though.

Not sure about the PFL - my Fl has been a dealer inflicted disaster. Great car nonetheless though.

Why is that?

Is that the consensus then to avoid Audi at end of warranty before I buy it? Thanks @Evil Diesel for the heads up though I’m glad I asked!

Last edited:
I have actually asked the dealership who is selling the car to book it into Audi before I purchase for them to check for any faults etc,
Reading this post has now got me thinking to tell them to scrap that idea!

The reason I’m getting the car is the noise even on the standard exhaust it sounds immense!

So you think I should forget about that EOW check?

I wouldn’t worry, just tell Audi to not do any updates? We have done it on remapped cars before. Just tell them you don’t want an ECU flash done, they will have to listen to you.

Reactions: LeeJH
I wouldn’t worry, just tell Audi to not do any updates? We have done it on remapped cars before. Just tell them you don’t want an ECU flash done, they will have to listen to you.

I’m cautious over stuff like that. I used to have a A4 outside of warranty and also needed a fix for the diesalgate etc, on that fix the car lost around. 5-10% power and even though it was out of warranty, they said the next time it was booked in it had to be done etc, I stayed away from them after that...

I’m cautious over stuff like that. I used to have a A4 outside of warranty and also needed a fix for the diesalgate etc, on that fix the car lost around. 5-10% power and even though it was out of warranty, they said the next time it was booked in it had to be done etc, I stayed away from them after that...

That’s rubbish honestly, we declined it on one of our A4’s... unfortunately the other was done because it was bought approved after the update was released. Audi asked us to sign to say we didn’t want it, sent that off and that’s the end of it.

That was a couple of years ago when I had that! I wish my dealer had said that to me! I was constantly getting called by them and also getting letters from audi UK.

You can tell them not to update the software. It will not affect your warranty.

Reactions: AudiNutta and LeeJH
I am not so sure about declining a software update if it is to meet emission specifications. This update sounds like it is emission related. Also, all USA RS3 cars have been stuck at port of entry for months on end and only just now being released due to a software issue which Audi have been very quiet about, even not informing their dealers/customers as to the issue

I am not so sure about declining a software update if it is to meet emission specifications. This update sounds like it is emission related. Also, all USA RS3 cars have been stuck at port of entry for months on end and only just now being released due to a software issue which Audi have been very quiet about, even not informing their dealers/customers as to the issue
I'm at the dealers tomorrow for 2 year inspection service. I'll keep you posted

We have declined the emissions update :)

It’s your property ultimately, they can’t forcefully do anything to it! Only if the government came out and made it a requirement for these cars on the road to be updated.

We have declined the emissions update :)

It’s your property ultimately, they can’t forcefully do anything to it! Only if the government came out and made it a requirement for these cars on the road to be updated.

I'm confused, doesn't the OP say all new 400ps cars have it from factory, so there can't be one to decline?

I’ve been speaking to a chap in the know about this, it seems Audi are reigning them in because of the effects on the primary Catalyst over a period of time.

I’ve been speaking to a chap in the know about this, it seems Audi are reigning them in because of the effects on the primary Catalyst over a period of time.

I understand the reasons why, I hate it, but understand.

My confusion is whether there is a further update or as suggested above the software was like this from the factory.

The OP said all 400ps cars came like it from the factory, Yet Audinutta said he declined the update? I am confused :footy:

I'm confused, doesn't the OP say all new 400ps cars have it from factory, so there can't be one to decline?

We are talking updates in general, like dieselgate....

Or maybe I got on the wrong track.

Reactions: zaka7