Rumours about Audi phone box recall

Jimbob76

Roof Rails Enthusiast
Reaction score
Met up with an old mate the other day, who now works at Audi. It was the first time he’d seen my new FL S3 Sportback and he commented that next time it’s in for a service Audi would be pulling out the ‘phone box’ in the armrest which connects my mobile directly to the car aerial for better reception and call clarity (also allows wireless phone charging). He said Audi are being a bit cagey as to the reasons why, but something to do with the connection to the car aerial using an illegal frequency.

If that’s so a recall may follow.

Anyone one else on here heard anything about this?

Met up with an old mate the other day, who now works at Audi. It was the first time he’d seen my new FL S3 Sportback and he commented that next time it’s in for a service Audi would be pulling out the ‘phone box’ in the armrest which connects my mobile directly to the car aerial for better reception and call clarity (also allows wireless phone charging). He said Audi are being a bit cagey as to the reasons why, but something to do with the connection to the car aerial using an illegal frequency.

If that’s so a recall may follow.

Anyone one else on here heard anything about this?

I’ve read something a few weeks ago on another forum where deliveries on the day were pulled as Dealers had to disconnect the booster

Edit: One thread...

Q5 Phone Booster
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...hp?/topic/40569-Q5-Phone-Booster&share_type=t

My FL is currrently being built at the factory so will be interesting what happens with this as I should have it but wonder if it will be disconnected upon delivery.

Never use the phone box and l bet a lot of peeps dont.....no big deal

Reactions: Jimbob76
Just reading the configurator description on Audi Phone Box with Wireless Charging and it doesn’t state anything to do with boosting of the phone signal through the exterior aerial anymore.

Offers wireless charging (with Qi-enabled compatible phones) and creates an additional Bluetooth interface for a second device, meaning 2 mobile phones can be connected to the vehicle simultaneously.

Tend to agree with you @jassyo06 - wireless charging should remain, which I find useful, and it sounds like they’ll just disconnect the booster connection to the car aerial. Haven’t noticed much/any Improvment in reception clarity via this connection anyway.

Wonder if this is down to a change in legislation which has made the frequency used illegal, or if Audi just made a blunder and didn’t do their homework and have been pulled up on it or if, just maybe, they knew and just did it anyway and hoped not to be found out (surely not :whistle2:).

@MartinDov - you raise a good point. There will be those, like yourself, who’ve ticked this option box before they’ve pulled the option, so will be interesting to see what happens with your build. If you’re speaking to your dealer soon about your delivery date, perhaps you could probe for more info on this and update us?

At the end of the day, a pretty minor issue as Jassy points out, but thought I’d raise in case it helps others...

Reactions: Jassyo06
Never use the phone box and l bet a lot of peeps dont.....no big deal
I do use the phone box regularly as it’s useful to keep the phone topped up when using sound cloud for example, which isn’t an option on car play. It’s not going to ruin my day if it were to be removed but a bit inconvenient.

My car was serviced only 2 weeks ago and nothing was mentioned re a recall and it wasn’t removed.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The signal booster works really well, I have a regular drive to the in laws in the peak district and rather than the call dropping out in the valleys where the signal is patchy I get a good connection all the way. I'll not be happy if it gets disconnected when the car goes for its first service in a couple of month.

How much was it as an option I can't remember now. If they disconnect it then we should be reimbursed IMO.

How much was it as an option I can't remember now. If they disconnect it then we should be reimbursed IMO.

Was included as part of the tech pack?

From what I’ve seen I believe it’s being disabled rather than removed until they can get it signed off with the regulators.

I paid £1395 for the techpack which has VC, Phone box, 3 yrs data and Juke Box

Maybe I haven’t noticed the difference in signal clarity as I haven’t used it in a poor reception area yet, so interesting Chris that you have noticed a difference and do rate it.

And Tom - agree that if they disable/remove an option that has been paid for as an extra, seems fair that some kind of reimbursement should be considered.

Yes, definitely. Comparing my previous golf to the A3, same phone, same network the mobile reception is way better.

They won't be pulling out the complete box, just disconnecting the signal booster. This is what they've been doing to new cars...

Reactions: TYb
I got my car with the signal booster just before the problem with it was highlighted and they stopped it. I find it works really well. I'm in darkest Devon where the phone signal is often bad and putting my phone in the booster box will typically add a couple of bars to the signal strength compared to it just being in my pocket. I will not be happy if they tried to disconnect it and would want some sort of compensation if they did. It's not due for a service for a while yet though, so hopefully it will be sorted out by then.