Rubbing noise from rear when on full lock.

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
Had the Haldex pump changed on the S3 yesterday.

Took it for a good run up to Betwys Y Coed in N.Wales today, 100 miles round trip and it was fine. Went to reverse into my parking space when I got home. Was on full lock and I could hear a rubbing noise coming from the rear. It does it going forwards or backwards but only if on full lock.

Anyone else have this?

Reactions: Malcs2020
Can't say I've ever noticed this..... As our cars aren't true Quattro I don't think your rubbing noise is the same thing as your link.

They're not true quattro? What kind of quattro are they then?

Torsen based Quattro systems are generally considered to be true Quattro. They are a full time system where either 50% or 60% of the power (50% on older T1 and T2 systems and 60% on newer T3 systems) are sent to the rear during normal driving and can be more of less depending on the surface conditions. A4's and above are fitted with Torsen.

Haldex system is fitted to the A3 and TT along with skoda and VW models with 4motion etc. They generally send 5-10% power to rear during normal driving and can send a maximum of 50% to rear. People don't consider this system as true Quattro

Ok that makes sense. is it right that quattros (haldex included) are in 4wd up to speeds of 5mph?

I think it explains what I am experiencing and I can't think of any other cause. I don't think its the diff because it doesn't do it in a straight line and at higher speeds the car is perfect, dosen't miss a beat. Its had new brake pads and discs and a new haldex clutch pump this week. The mechanic said it was fine too.

Both Haldex and Torsen are always sending some power to rear I believe. About 5% on Haldex and 50-60% on Torsen. There are some ways to turn the Haldex into front wheel drive only with some tricks. Not with Torsen.

It's worth pulling your handbrake to the first click, or take out the Haldex fuse. Either one of these methods will disable the Haldex. Then try the same driving that you were doing before and see if it still scrubs

Just got back from the garage. They can hear the noise too.
There was a chap there who used to work for VW and he seemed to know quite a bit about the haldex.

He said that its possible that I've not had 4wd for about 20000 miles and if that was the case then the 4 plates in the haldex system can get a thin layer of corrosion on them like when you don't use your car for a while and when you do the brakes feel a bit rough for the first couple of times.

He said its not the diff because that will have been turning with the rear wheels even if they're not being powered. Its not the prop because that will have been turning with the engine so it must be the bit in the middle, the haldex.

I've been advised to keep driving it and hopefully with use they will polish up against each other and be back to normal.

Fingers crossed

It sounds plausible, but I'd be surprised you'd been driving for so long and not noticed it was running FWD. I’m sure you would have noticed wheelspin by now.

I thought something wasn't right with it over a year ago. Since then its been to a few places including Audi and I just got told it was fine. In March 2014 I got it scanned and it showed a fault with the clutch pump. Thread about it here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/flashing-esp-light.202202/ but they said it was intermittent and only showed up once. So its not been right since then. Its been wheelspinning all over the winter but I thought it may have been the winter tyres. Had it scanned was told it was ok.

Got it scanned last week and the same fault 00448 was showing and this time I wouldn't take 'its fine' for an answer so had the haldex pump changed and presto. No fault and I've got 4wd! But now this...

Had the Haldex pump changed on the S3 yesterday.

Took it for a good run up to Betwys Y Coed in N.Wales today, 100 miles round trip and it was fine. Went to reverse into my parking space when I got home. Was on full lock and I could hear a rubbing noise coming from the rear. It does it going forwards or backwards but only if on full lock.

Anyone else have this?
Hey mate, I know it's been a few years but was wondering if you found out what the issue here was?