rubbing/grinding noise

mintie

Reaction score
my 99 S3 has been well driven and serviced at the right time,it has now developed a new noise (best way of discribing it ) from the underside of the car.
1. I thought something was hanging down ie. the undertray from the engine, Not that.
2. The heat sheild on the cat , no I repaired that earlier this year, still nice and fixed.

The problem is not there all of the time, without having a ramp to properley investigate, does anyone have any thoughts

Have you looked at drive shafts for shiny bits were they have maybe been rubbing something.........Prop shaft bearing maybe knackered or the Prop cover has been hit and is hitting Prop

Does the noise happen all the time or when you accelerate

The noise is intermitent ,from the front of the car hence why i thouht that it was the engine under tray if you drive at mummy speed it may do it dont wont to drive the car fast just incase it goes bang, it does not do it under acceleration

Not the Air con pump bearing gone..? All the belts are tight no noise coming from PS pump..Does it happen when you brake hard?

sorted, it was a steel ring of the prop shaft to the rear of the car, dont know why it come off, was in a sorry state though, it has or was only making the noise for two days ,have now got to order a new part