RTS clutch for stage 2+, can I keep stock DMF flywheel?

CameronS3

S3 8P
Reaction score
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...h-twin-friction-clutch-kit-for-2-0tfsi-ea113/

Looking at upgrading my clutch to the RTS twin friction clutch claims it’s good for 420lbs/ft.

Am on a bit of a budget but don’t want to cut corners, my cars only covered 65k miles and clutch is smooth with no noises.

Am I able to fit this clutch without changing anything else and keeping the stock DMF?

Also has anyone had any experience with this clutch at stage 2+?

Thanks

I have done lots of research on the smf version of the RTS clutch.
You will not know about your dmf condition until it is apart.
The general feeling about the clutch is that it has a stock feeling regarding how much effort you need to push the pedal down. It holds the power well and one chap is running the smf version at over 500 BHP. Maybe a slight bit of judder but that goes as you run it in for about 500 miles of clutch use driving. Very little rattle from the smf as it is heavy to match the stock dmf. Some people feel that it does not have as much feel as a Helix and so is a bit difficult to judge the biting point.
Overall, most owners are happy with the big plus point being the stock pedal pressure. So much better if you have a lot of driving in traffic.
Best is to talk to Fred at RTS and he will give you all the info you need.

Reactions: CameronS3
I have done lots of research on the smf version of the RTS clutch.
You will not know about your dmf condition until it is apart.
The general feeling about the clutch is that it has a stock feeling regarding how much effort you need to push the pedal down. It holds the power well and one chap is running the smf version at over 500 BHP. Maybe a slight bit of judder but that goes as you run it in for about 500 miles of clutch use driving. Very little rattle from the smf as it is heavy to match the stock dmf. Some people feel that it does not have as much feel as a Helix and so is a bit difficult to judge the biting point.
Overall, most owners are happy with the big plus point being the stock pedal pressure. So much better if you have a lot of driving in traffic.
Best is to talk to Fred at RTS and he will give you all the info you need.

So do you know if the RTS clutch I’ve posted a link of works with the DMF?

Yeah think I probably do need to make a few phone calls, appreciate the reply.

I've recently just had the RTS clutch fitted. Haven't had chance to do more than 500miles yet, but I had a dmf fitted due to my thrust bearings on their way out (these need changing asap and they didn't have the parts on the day). So far seems good, feels completely stock, can give you an update in the next week when I go over 500

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Should have mentioned I'm running stage 1 so can't vouch for stage 2+....

Part number ending 5389F is the code to include the smf.
5389 is the code without the flywheel. I wonder if it is the same kit really?
As I said before, a phone call to Fred at RTS head office would clear this up for you.

I've recently just had the RTS clutch fitted. Haven't had chance to do more than 500miles yet, but I had a dmf fitted due to my thrust bearings on their way out (these need changing asap and they didn't have the parts on the day). So far seems good, feels completely stock, can give you an update in the next week when I go over 500

Did you fit the same clutch from awesome gti I’ve posted the link in the description? If you fitted that with a DMF that pretty much answers my question!

Yeah an update on the clutch wouldn’t go a miss :D

Did you fit the same clutch from awesome gti I’ve posted the link in the description? If you fitted that with a DMF that pretty much answers my question!

Yeah an update on the clutch wouldn’t go a miss :D
Yea I had it done at Awesome, pretty good tbf, shame about the thrust bearings otherwise I would have got it done all at once! Speak to the mechanics, they're pretty helpful. Only reason I didn't go smf was they said it would put extra pressure on the thrust bearings. One of the staff has the RTS with smf. Will post on here when everything's worn in

It is Lisa on service reception with the RTS clutch but she has the
SMF.

Don’t understand the earlier comment about having the dmf instead of the smf. Neither clutch has the strong springs in the pressure plate that wears the thrust bearings on first start up before the oil circulates. Even this is avoided on an S3 by installing the “press clutch to start” delete harness.

I do seem to be reading a lot about smf putting extra strain on components hence I’d like to stick with the stock DMF, guess you can choose between smf or dmf with the RTS clutch by the looks of it.

Did you change the master cylinder and release bearing at the same time? I see this is also something awesomegti recommend

It is Lisa on service reception with the RTS clutch but she has the
SMF.

Don’t understand the earlier comment about having the dmf instead of the smf. Neither clutch has the strong springs in the pressure plate that wears the thrust bearings on first start up before the oil circulates. Even this is avoided on an S3 by installing the “press clutch to start” delete harness.
I should clarify,

As they didn't have the thrust bearings in stock and I needed the car for work (I live the other side of the country) they recommended the dmf on the day as they said it would put less pressure on it, they stressed these needed doing immediately as they showed me the float behind the flywheel.

Just going by what they said and my situation was quite unique in this respect.

Looking into getting the thrust bearings done in the next few weeks and the clutch to start bypass.

Is the thrust bearing different to the release bearing? I though they were the same, which Awesome recommends to change with the new clutch too?

*thrust washers.

The thrust bearings were changed the same time as the clutch

I just spoke with Awesome - they don’t supply a thrust washer, they told me to source OE.

I asked him, if I have issues with the SMF can I revert to a DFM and use the same RTS clutch plate - he said could source me the clutch to suit the DMF of that’s what I want, but they don’t stock. This indicates that there is a different clutch/plate for DMF or SMF.

Declaring my position, I currently have a Spec Stg2+ and SMF. It’s horrible. I ordered the RTS kit from Australia but NZ customs list the SMF so the balance of the kit was returned to seller. I’ve just ordered the clutch and SMF direct from RTS.

Last edited:
I just spoke with Awesome - they don’t supply a thrust washer, they told me to source OE.

I asked him, if I have issues with the SMF can I revert to a DFM and use the same RTS clutch plate - he said could source me the clutch to suit the DMF of that’s what I want, but they don’t stock. This indicates that there is a different clutch/plate for DMF or SMF.

Declaring my position, I currently have a Spec Stg2+ and SMF. It’s horrible. I ordered the RTS kit from Australia but NZ customs list the SMF so the balance of the kit was returned to seller. I’ve just ordered the clutch and SMF direct from RTS.

This is handy to know, you’ve ordered a clutch and DMF or SMF direct from RTS?

If you’ve ordered a clutch and DMF direct from RTS it would be handy having a link or part number as I want the RTS clutch with DMF

This is handy to know, you’ve ordered a clutch and DMF or SMF direct from RTS?

If you’ve ordered a clutch and DMF direct from RTS it would be handy having a link or part number as I want the RTS clutch with DMF

Hi @CameronS3, I went with the SMF on their recommendation.