RSQ3 RSQ3 Trade Time

firecracker69

Reaction score
Well, we all knew the day was coming soon - especially with my track record! But whats next!?

Well...... get ready for the let down!
After going back and forth on various vehicles I’ve decided on a 2021 A5 Edition 1 35 TDI.
With work travels once again and limited public transport it means for my cross country travel driving is the best method currently. I can’t afford to rack up miles on the RSQ3 so decided to opt for a diesel, at least to see out the year anyway! The RSQ3 is nearly 5k miles now and I know when it gets near to 10k miles it will probably lose another big chunk (that’s my assumption anyway). I considered an A3 Saloon Edition 1 but personally think the A5 looks less of a reps car so to speak or a boy racer lol.

So whilst the RSQ3 is an amazing car and I know I’ll miss it..... I just think once things go back to semi normal then I should be ready for the new RS3!

I’ve got a few weeks yet, nothing set in absolute stone and unlike all other cars I’ve decided to test drive the A5 before committing and for that I need to wait for the dealers to reopen sometime next month.

As always, it’s been fun, and still love to see your posts and upgrades!

Wow - I hope you don't regret/let it take the enjoyment of driving away from you.
My reply will be mostly negative so feel free to not read any further : - )

I have a SQ5 (3.0 tfsi) but had a 2021 A5 as a loaner a few days ago - also 35 tdi.
I did not like being lower down, I did not like the lack of space. Boot was so much smaller and just overall, it felt very different. The newer VC was quite nice especially the knightrider style visual (Dynamic).
My biggest hate was the touch-screen however you will already be used to this with the RSQ3 but the screen itself is quite a nice size. I also felt so much more of the road in terms of potholes and also on the motorway, it seemed to tramline a lot.

To my surprise, the performance was not all that bad most likely due to the diesel torque (I don't know figures vs what I have) but motorway driving was not bad at all. Local I did not enjoy it as much (turbo lag?). Engine noise was a fair bit less than my old A6 C7 2.0 tdi or maybe its got better sound-proofing.
Rear space was tight and not comfortable for the 5'7 person I had behind but maybe this is because its a 2-door.

The external looks however I think is fantastic. Loved the "laser matrix lights" and the nice dance it gives

Won't help you in anyway the above but in short, practicality-wise it would not suit me to go even from our Q3 to the A5 (pram, baby) let alone Q5 but also the above

Reactions: NevMan
Wow - I hope you don't regret/let it take the enjoyment of driving away from you.
My reply will be mostly negative so feel free to not read any further : - )

I have a SQ5 (3.0 tfsi) but had a 2021 A5 as a loaner a few days ago - also 35 tdi.
I did not like being lower down, I did not like the lack of space. Boot was so much smaller and just overall, it felt very different. The newer VC was quite nice especially the knightrider style visual (Dynamic).
My biggest hate was the touch-screen however you will already be used to this with the RSQ3 but the screen itself is quite a nice size. I also felt so much more of the road in terms of potholes and also on the motorway, it seemed to tramline a lot.

To my surprise, the performance was not all that bad most likely due to the diesel torque (I don't know figures vs what I have) but motorway driving was not bad at all. Local I did not enjoy it as much (turbo lag?). Engine noise was a fair bit less than my old A6 C7 2.0 tdi or maybe its got better sound-proofing.
Rear space was tight and not comfortable for the 5'7 person I had behind but maybe this is because its a 2-door.

The external looks however I think is fantastic. Loved the "laser matrix lights" and the nice dance it gives

Won't help you in anyway the above but in short, practicality-wise it would not suit me to go even from our Q3 to the A5 (pram, baby) let alone Q5 but also the above

Hey!
No problem at all. Not worried by the reply, negative or otherwise..... but didn’t actually seem that bad!

I owned the 2019 RS5 previously so certainly not new to the A5 or it’s size in any way. I would prefer to be higher up I must admit, but this wouldn’t be a factor in any car decision, just a nicety! It’s the sportback so same as I had before, I just prefer 4/5 door.
The screen as you say I’m used too, I think it’s a mistake that Audi removed the control wheel but hey we can’t change it but I do love the bigger screen!

I am interested in the performance side of things though!!
I agreed with the dealer to put the purchase on hold. Few reasons around cost and getting rid of the RSQ3 and just need to convince myself it’s the right decision. If it was Quattro and a 40 TDI for the same price I would have bought instantly I think. For now I have agreed to a deposit and test drive when allowed, I will then make my final decision.
I know that whatever I get will not be like the S5, RS5 or RSQ3 owned, thats the shame of being spoilt with that type of car. However, I need something to eat the motorway miles without killing the cars value like it will an RS.

Im concerned the 35 TDI is going to be too underpowered - 163bhp, and 0-60 in 8.4
Again, perhaps I need to realign my expectation? Usually diesels have good pulling power, the A5 is a high spec being an Edition 1 and also comfort and sound pack added.
Will see what April brings when I test drive, but ultimately I need a TDI and out of everything I’ve looked at that I like it seems the best choice currently. Oh..... and I don’t want to move from Audi, made that mistake before

Interesting change. I had an A5 loaner (sportback) when I had an SQ5 - didnt miss the high driving position, in fact thought it rode and handled better considering it was a cooking model verus my SQ5. I dont mind the new interface, I use voice control a lot and actually find having to use the wheel in my Mini a bit annoying now, where voice control is poor (its older so maybe that is the reason).

If you want a mile muncher and to limit costs and losses in the short term, why not get a secondhand car? maybe a 2 or 3 year old 3.0 diesel, or perhaps even a 330d BMW?

or even better buy a second car. When I was doing shed loads of work miles my wife had the nice car and I drove a Volvo diesel - cost me 6.5ppm in depreciation over 3.5 years and 130k miles. You could pick up a bit of a shed for less than one years depreciation on new A5 and still keep the RSQ3. That's what I would do (and why I have the Mini referred to above - it does all the **** jobs so the RS4 can be saved for when I want to use it and keep mileage down...)

Interesting change. I had an A5 loaner (sportback) when I had an SQ5 - didnt miss the high driving position, in fact thought it rode and handled better considering it was a cooking model verus my SQ5. I dont mind the new interface, I use voice control a lot and actually find having to use the wheel in my Mini a bit annoying now, where voice control is poor (its older so maybe that is the reason).

If you want a mile muncher and to limit costs and losses in the short term, why not get a secondhand car? maybe a 2 or 3 year old 3.0 diesel, or perhaps even a 330d BMW?

or even better buy a second car. When I was doing shed loads of work miles my wife had the nice car and I drove a Volvo diesel - cost me 6.5ppm in depreciation over 3.5 years and 130k miles. You could pick up a bit of a shed for less than one years depreciation on new A5 and still keep the RSQ3. That's what I would do (and why I have the Mini referred to above - it does all the **** jobs so the RS4 can be saved for when I want to use it and keep mileage down...)
I went down the road of 2 cars before, for me it was a very expensive way of doing things, double tax, double insurance, and both cars depreciating.
I pay £600 p/mth now on the RSQ3 so can’t afford to keep it AND get something else to run, it just isn’t worth it. Mrs would go nuts as well..... like I don’t already throw away lots of money on cars!

After owning my 330i for 3 months last year I will never go back to BMW, I want to stick firmly with Audi.
As for an older vehicle, it just doesn’t work for me. Not only reliability and warranty, but I have to like the look of a car and want to clean it, want to drive it, want to look after it, as soon as I lose that I change even sooner. Also I don’t like going backwards to older tech. So I had the S5 and RS5 as you know, but having had the newer tech in mine now and seeing the same new screens in the A5 as the RSQ3 I can’t go backwards. This is also why after looking at the new A3 I can’t see myself in it for long, the A5 in my opinion looks classier/more grown up. Trust me, I’ve looked at it all and considered lots but it is what it is.

Ultimately it will be a newer car (pre reg or ex demo), call me fussy, but I keep my cars MINT and work hard enough to warrant spending on something I will enjoy. I just don’t know 100% what that looks like right now with needing a diesel whilst cutting down on cost where possible.

Last edited:
Depreciation is a massive issue on all cars and with high-end vehicles worse still, however the RSQ3 wasn't brand new when you bought it so that's something.

Just pause for thought for a moment. So you'll trade the RS for something else, and take a hit on the value of the car - effectively having bought it at retail price and selling for trade value a few months later so you'll lose a few thousand pounds - circa around £10k or so I'd guess, and the trade in value will depend how much profit is in the vehicle you want to buy.

I note on Autotrader that the used prices of RSQ3s are plummeting - the prior 8U RSQ3 was the same - circa £55k new and then less than 12 months later they were in the £39k ish. Now the Vorsprung is headed the same way, most were £65k+ new and are down to around £53k ish now and falling quite quickly. Compact SUVs are mumsy-school-run vehicles normally so the RS versions have always been a niche market.

So lets say you buy a frugal diesel, that will do 50 mpg....(it won't cos you'll rag the nuts of it) and the RS does say 25 mpg - 99 Octane and diesel cost about the same...you'll be able to travel twice as far on the diesel for the same amount of money. Great - except it's cost you £10k to achieve that - the payback period will be lengthy and the diesel car will be depreciating because in 2021 diesel cars are about as popular as Covid19.

From stuff you have said previously wanting to change soon was inevitable (I have a similar history!) so I completely understand where you coming from and I, like you, have wasted a lot of money doing this kind of thing with vehicles on Finance. I've figured that we can't dodge the depreciation bullet if one wants to drive something decent - I like a good car and keep mine absolutely mint too.

Are you able to claim anything back against tax for your business mileage or is all your driving commuting to a single place of work?

An A5 would great choice - very nice looking and practical too.

in terms of performance I would not be bothered about the 0 -60 time but would certainly be having a close look the mid range acceleration times that you would be using if you doing a lot of motorway driving or like being able to nip past stuff on single / dual carriageways. The other big differences are going to be changing from an automatic to manual, from Quattro to front wheel drive and the way the TDI engine delivers its power all of which transforms affect the overall driving experience. Ideally you’ll be able to get a car for a day rather than for a quick run around the block.

its also definitely worth shopping around - when I starting looking for a S5 there were a number of pre registered cars with identical specs listed on AT. The difference in asking price between the highest and lowest was over £10k!

So you say you cant afford to run two vehicles but you can afford to crystallise the depreciation on new and nearly new cars by swapping after 6 months or so. Excuse me if I find that an odd statement ;)

RSQ3 depreciation - minimum £8k I would have thought so more than a grand a month.
BMW - think that was over a grand a month?
RS5 and S5 before that - did you escape with less than a grand a month?

I run an RS4 - and a 5 year old Mini. The Mini costs peanuts - £30 a year road fund, £250 insurance, miniscule servicing and repairs and of course it lowers the variable costs on the RS4 as miles in the Mini mean less in the RS4. I own it outright which helps but I reckon it costs me net (allowing for fact its more economical than the RS4) less than £200 a year plus depreciation. But as I have no intention of swapping it, that can largely be ignored.

You are going to buy an A5 diesel, lose another £6k plus over next 6 months and then start the journey again. You are probably paying well over £1k a month for your "habit" of swapping too often, if you could stick with something for a while (even by running a second car) you would reduce your overall costs....

The RSQ3 isnt costing you £600 a month by the way, that might be your finance payment but its going to be well over a grand a month if you choose to swap so often...

Good points above and whilst I haven’t quite decided what to get yet I have just got rid of the RSQ3.

Webuyanycar offered £48k and after £75 admin fee and £100 for a single 1mm stone chip right at the bottom of the number (have to laugh as it was barely visible!) it means I got pretty much the expected value which was more than some dealers. The good thing is now I have choice of any dealer and not only those offering the best part-ex.

The A5 is still secured by way of deposit.
I have since been looking at the A4 Avant, bigger than planned but there is some little logic behind it. The A4 will give me Quattro and with it being the 40 TDI it means I don’t have to worry about it being too under powered. The A5 is 163bhp and front wheel drive only and pretty much that’s my only reservation on it. I remember test driving an A6 a few years back and it was damp outside, you just couldn’t pull away in it without traction control dancing around - that what worries me on front wheel drive only. Now we could argue car weight etc which is why I’ve agreed to test drive.

cosmicblue - absolutely agree, can’t dodge the depreciation bullet although I know I could limit my loss, but that’s the joys of wanting nearly new and lots of tech! No; I can’t claim anything from work, only fuel sadly which is something as opposed to nothing I guess.

Thats where things are at now anyway.

Good points above and whilst I haven’t quite decided what to get yet I have just got rid of the RSQ3.

Webuyanycar offered £48k and after £75 admin fee and £100 for a single 1mm stone chip right at the bottom of the number (have to laugh as it was barely visible!) it means I got pretty much the expected value which was more than some dealers. The good thing is now I have choice of any dealer and not only those offering the best part-ex.

I have since been looking at the A4 Avant, bigger than planned but there is some little logic behind it. The A4 will give me Quattro and with it being the 40 TDI it means I don’t have to worry about it being too under powered. The A5 is 163bhp and front wheel drive only and pretty much that’s my only reservation on it. I remember test driving an A6 a few years back and it was damp outside, you just couldn’t pull away in it without traction control dancing around - that what worries me on front wheel drive only. Now we could argue car weight etc which is why I’ve agreed to test drive.

cosmicblue - absolutely agree, can’t dodge the depreciation bullet although I know I could limit my loss, but that’s the joys of wanting nearly new and lots of tech! No; I can’t claim anything from work, only fuel sadly which is something as opposed to nothing I guess.

How did you find your ownership of the RS Q3 overall ? Reason I ask is we have a brand new Q3 35 TFSI at the moment as a courtesy car while they fix the squeaky drivers seat in our S3 this is the seventh attempt at putting it rite . We really like the extra space and being that bit higher that you get in the Q3 so a RS Q3 could be a option for us .

Noticed you said you paid £600 a month what sort of deposit did you have to put down if you don't mind me asking .

Last edited:

Sounds like a good deal for you. I'd take an A4 over an A5 anyway, less space and more cost have never been a winner with the accountant in me, and more power, quattro and a better looking body (;)) seals the deal....

Good luck with what comes next. Try and keep it at least 2 years and start planning the Porsche for the same cost if you can....

How did you find your ownership of the RS Q3 overall ? Reason I ask is we have a brand new Q3 35 TFSI at the moment as a courtesy car while they fix the squeaky drivers seat in our S3 this is the seventh attempt at putting it rite . We really like the extra space and being that bit higher that you get in the Q3 so a RS Q3 could be a option for us .

Noticed you said you paid £600 a month what sort of deposit did you have to put down if you don't mind me asking .
I had an SQ5 and now have an RS4 - I dont miss the higher driving position at all once the novelty has worn off.

I pay 10% more than the £600 mentioned and put in 8.5k..... for a brand new RS4 Carbon edition with a few extras.

Honestly, I loved the RSQ3.
My only negative I suppose was the throttle lag, you can drive around that but you shouldn’t have too! I think it’s emissions related from what I’ve read and it effects the new S4s also. Either way it was a little annoying tho.

Overall great car. Fun to drive, latest tech, so can’t really fault overall.....

I purchased for £55k.
I put in a £5k deposit and always negotiate a 6.9% APR but you do have to push them sometimes.
Also I always go pcp, 4yrs, 6k miles. That got me to £599 per month.

Good luck

Sounds like a good deal for you. I'd take an A4 over an A5 anyway, less space and more cost have never been a winner with the accountant in me, and more power, quattro and a better looking body (;)) seals the deal....

Good luck with what comes next. Try and keep it at least 2 years and start planning the Porsche for the same cost if you can....
Hahaha..... I’m just trying to see the year out! I will be lucky to get to December, certainly no more! If I get that far I’ve beaten my previous records. :thumbs up:

Honestly, I loved the RSQ3.
My only negative I suppose was the throttle lag, you can drive around that but you shouldn’t have too! I think it’s emissions related from what I’ve read and it effects the new S4s also. Either way it was a little annoying tho.

Overall great car. Fun to drive, latest tech, so can’t really fault overall.....

I purchased for £55k.
I put in a £5k deposit and always negotiate a 6.9% APR but you do have to push them sometimes.
Also I always go pcp, 4yrs, 6k miles. That got me to £599 per month.

Good luck

Good to hear you liked it overall

Thanks for the reply

Reactions: firecracker69
Hahaha..... I’m just trying to see the year out! I will be lucky to get to December, certainly no more! If I get that far I’ve beaten my previous records. :thumbs up:
so if you keep cars generally 6 or so months and you stick in £5k plus £600 a month.... that works out at £1400 a month total cost. My M5 (11 months ownership) was less than that. My SQ5 (23 months) was a bargain at well below a grand a month....

If you keep the next one 2 years that would give you a £15k deposit for the next one after that.... might get you into an Etron GT..... or an Etron SUV S performance version...

I had an SQ5 and now have an RS4 - I dont miss the higher driving position at all once the novelty has worn off.

I pay 10% more than the £600 mentioned and put in 8.5k..... for a brand new RS4 Carbon edition with a few extras.

Its the wife who likes the higher driving position more than me to be honest .

Never considered an Rs4 before lovely cars tho .

I'd be putting my 2 year old S3 down as a deposit if I decided to get a RS Q3 I couldn't bring myself to pay £600 a month it would break my heart :laughing:

Its the wife who likes the higher driving position more than me to be honest .

Never considered an Rs4 before lovely cars tho .

I'd be putting my 2 year old S3 down as a deposit if I decided to get a RS Q3 I couldn't bring myself to pay £600 a month it would break my heart :laughing:

wouldnt do for us all to be the same. I put more than my monthly car cost (full cost, including amotising the deposit) into an ISA each month to balance it and so far I reckon the ISA makes more than Audi interest costs. But the RS4 will probably be my last expensive car, need to start preparing for retirement and generate more passive income.

I dont have a wife to consider regarding driving position but when I did she loved the high driving position until there was the chance of an SLK then suddenly it wasnt important! Women hey....

wouldnt do for us all to be the same. I put more than my monthly car cost (full cost, including amotising the deposit) into an ISA each month to balance it and so far I reckon the ISA makes more than Audi interest costs. But the RS4 will probably be my last expensive car, need to start preparing for retirement and generate more passive income.

I dont have a wife to consider regarding driving position but when I did she loved the high driving position until there was the chance of an SLK then suddenly it wasnt important! Women hey....

Totally agree everybody has to do what's rite for them .

Great car to have as your last expensive car
Got a while to go until I retire unfortunately .

Totally agree everybody has to do what's rite for them .

Great car to have as your last expensive car
Got a while to go until I retire unfortunately .

The M5 before it might also have been badged as my last hurrah.... but that was not the car for me!
I'm 10 years away in theory but I suspect that life will have me winding down before then not through choice but as its hard to get a job when you are over 50!

The M5 before it might also have been badged as my last hurrah.... but that was not the car for me!
I'm 10 years away in theory but I suspect that life will have me winding down before then not through choice but as its hard to get a job when you are over 50!

Just keep enjoying nice cars as long as possible i'am dreading the day when you can only buy an electric car .
I'am a month shy of 41 and i'am ready to retire now :laughing: I keep doing the euro millions but I've had not joy yet :cry:

Reactions: NevMan and firecracker69
Well, the final verdict!

After much back and forth -
I know this will be met with many mixed feelings (although it’s me buying and driving it :icon thumright:) I finally decided on the new A3 Saloon TDI 150; Edition 1; comfort & sound pack, pano roof, 2021 - 70 reg.

Now for the why?
I did deliberate a lot on this, and after getting rid of the RSQ3 to webuyanycar it left me with a clean slate. As mentioned before I wanted to stick with Audi as happy with the brand, features, functions etc and just need to change to a diesel for a while. I did consider a Mercedes 250e shortly but soon went back to Audi.

The A5 was going to cost £38k
An A4 Avant was going to be £34k
The A3 I’ve gone for is £30k

The A5 I ultimately ruled out on price combined with the lower engine power, heavy‘ish car, front wheel drive, and top end money for what the dealer is asking. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £32k so already £6k overpriced imo.

The A4 Avant was just too long imo, and whilst is ticked the boxes on power, Quattro and price I just didn’t look at it and think “wow, I love the look of that” I was left feeling that I wanted more..... matrix lights, comfort and sound, and other features the A4s were are all lacking. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £30k so priced about right for a dealer.

Ultimately the A3 gives me a high spec, smaller car to suit the lower powered engine, diesel for miles, and priced imo right for the car with better residuals at the moment. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £29k surprisinly!

I know it’s not to everyone’s taste. I did a 360 myself after ruling it out, but regardless it’s the final decision and now reserved for collection prior to month end.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Sandra
And the right result too - decision made with the head rather than the heart. It's an Audi, will feel good every time you get in it.

Reactions: NevMan and firecracker69
And the right result too - decision made with the head rather than the heart. It's an Audi, will feel good every time you get in it.
Cheers!
Although different from the last few cars I think I’ll be happy for a short while, hopefully longer! :stupid:
I know what to expect, great spec for the money and end of the year or next year I’ll see where I’m at again.

Glad you have picked what is right for you. The most important thing is that you keep it longer than the last few...... give yourself a reward for getting to 12 months with some of the money you have saved!

Well, the final verdict!

After much back and forth -
I know this will be met with many mixed feelings (although it’s me buying and driving it :icon thumright:) I finally decided on the new A3 Saloon TDI 150; Edition 1; comfort & sound pack, pano roof, 2021 - 70 reg.

Now for the why?
I did deliberate a lot on this, and after getting rid of the RSQ3 to webuyanycar it left me with a clean slate. As mentioned before I wanted to stick with Audi as happy with the brand, features, functions etc and just need to change to a diesel for a while. I did consider a Mercedes 250e shortly but soon went back to Audi.

The A5 was going to cost £38k
An A4 Avant was going to be £34k
The A3 I’ve gone for is £30k

The A5 I ultimately ruled out on price combined with the lower engine power, heavy‘ish car, front wheel drive, and top end money for what the dealer is asking. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £32k so already £6k overpriced imo.

The A4 Avant was just too long imo, and whilst is ticked the boxes on power, Quattro and price I just didn’t look at it and think “wow, I love the look of that” I was left feeling that I wanted more..... matrix lights, comfort and sound, and other features the A4s were are all lacking. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £30k so priced about right for a dealer.

Ultimately the A3 gives me a high spec, smaller car to suit the lower powered engine, diesel for miles, and priced imo right for the car with better residuals at the moment. When I put this into webuyanycar for an idea on current sale value it returned £29k surprisinly!

I know it’s not to everyone’s taste. I did a 360 myself after ruling it out, but regardless it’s the final decision and now reserved for collection prior to month end.
If it works for you that's all that matters . I bet your saving quite a bit of money on the A3 compared to Rs Q3 payments

Glad you have picked what is right for you. The most important thing is that you keep it longer than the last few...... give yourself a reward for getting to 12 months with some of the money you have saved!
Who knows what’s ahead, but I think one day I need to tick the RS4 Avant box; but also keen to see what the new RS3 looks like. Either way, both for next year so as you say - it can be my reward! My Mrs will love you...... anything to stop me changing again so soon :icon thumright:

If it works for you that's all that matters . I bet your saving quite a bit of money on the A3 compared to Rs Q3 payments
With £4K deposit it’s £365 per month compared to £599 on the RSQ3.

That said, as per the thread which people have rightly pointed out - I’ve thrown away loads of money by changing so often!

Anyway, new plan is see the year out :racer:

Who knows what’s ahead, but I think one day I need to tick the RS4 Avant box; but also keen to see what the new RS3 looks like. Either way, both for next year so as you say - it can be my reward! My Mrs will love you...... anything to stop me changing again so soon :icon thumright:

I absolutely love it. And if you only keep the A3 5 months, my RS4 will cost less per month over the time I own it ;)

It’s only money lol
Just chopped my 19 plate a4 in to a ruthless dealer for £19500 paid £25250 in august
Against probably a really over priced A7 for £41500 that I just got valued by wbac.com at £32640
Just cos my heart rules my head and I’m nuts
I’m the biggest **** in the world lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, alanyork and firecracker69
It’s only money lol
Just chopped my 19 plate a4 in to a ruthless dealer for £19500 paid £25250 in august
Against probably a really over priced A7 for £41500 that I just got valued by wbac.com at £32640
Just cos my heart rules my head and I’m nuts
I’m the biggest **** in the world lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys who swap every 6 months are a garage companies wet dream. Surely its worth sitting one of your cars out for 2 years - with the money you will have saved you should be able to get into a Porsche!

Although 6k loss on the A4 isnt too bad as best part of £4k would have been dealer margin....

Reactions: firecracker69 and NevMan

That said, as per the thread which people have rightly pointed out - I’ve thrown away loads of money by changing so often!

I just got a quote back for a Rs Q3 from Audi putting my car in as a deposit they came back with £127 a month over 4 years with a 21k ballon .
Gonna have a think about it before I jump into it tho .

Have you got the will power to keep the A3 until 2022 :smiley:

What is the best amount of time to keep a car to make it worth while ?

That's the million dollar question. The longer you keep it generally the lower the depreciation per mile but there comes a point at which repairs and maintenance start to rise....

The cheapest motoring have ever had was a Volvo S60.... bought at 2.5 years old / 30k miles for about 10k (it was a base model and manual, no leather so cheap) and ran it for 3.5 years and 130k miles and sold it for just under £2k.... But that was a work mile muncher, doing 25k business miles a year at 45p / 25p per mile reimbursement! Maintenance was minimal, all at an indi and only a couple of unscheduled stops (one was a few hundred, one would have been multiple hundreds but managed to source secondhand bits and so it was £200 and a hundred quid for a hire car....

But its not as fun as swapping regularly and peeing money up the wall!

I just got a quote back for a Rs Q3 from Audi putting my car in as a deposit they came back with £127 a month over 4 years with a 21k ballon .
Gonna have a think about it before I jump into it tho .
So you are swapping a car you own for one that you owe £21k on in 4 years time.... not sure what the numbers are but any chance to finance on a bank loan so you pay more a month but own the car in 4 years time?

So you are swapping a car you own for one that you owe £21k on in 4 years time.... not sure what the numbers are but any chance to finance on a bank loan so you pay more a month but own the car in 4 years time?
Yep around 350 for a bank loan but that is over 5 years and that is the route I'd go to be honest if I do change .

Last edited:
That's the million dollar question. The longer you keep it generally the lower the depreciation per mile but there comes a point at which repairs and maintenance start to rise....

The cheapest motoring have ever had was a Volvo S60.... bought at 2.5 years old / 30k miles for about 10k (it was a base model and manual, no leather so cheap) and ran it for 3.5 years and 130k miles and sold it for just under £2k.... But that was a work mile muncher, doing 25k business miles a year at 45p / 25p per mile reimbursement! Maintenance was minimal, all at an indi and only a couple of unscheduled stops (one was a few hundred, one would have been multiple hundreds but managed to source secondhand bits and so it was £200 and a hundred quid for a hire car....

But its not as fun as swapping regularly and peeing money up the wall!
That is some going good old Volvo's eh just shows you have much we squander on cars .
I bought a Renault Kangoo 10 years ago for £6200 I had a look a few week back and there going for around £3000 with the mileage mine as
its the best money I have ever spent on a vehicle by a mile :smiley:

Yep around 350 for a bank loan but that is over 5 years and that is the route I'd go to be honest if I do change .
And that's what I started doing 5 years ago, you'll have an asset with some value at the end of the process which means a larger deposit with no additional outlay for the next car. Sure there is depreciation to take into account but you'll overtake that eventually.

The amount of money I've squandered on PCPs 1995-2016 is scary...in a much better position now.