RSQ3 RSQ3 & Macan - Faceoff

firecracker69

Reaction score
I happened to park next to this at the weekend and despite the wife thinking I was extremely sad, the colours were so vibrant I had to picture it!

20201208 202201

Reactions: taks1, AllanG and Ormesome
I could not live with such bright colours! Nice bit of advertising for Porsche centre Bristol!

I do like the Macan but not in that colour
Also I can not seem to get past the button arrangement on the centre console ! Just looks wrong to me, just my thoughts
I am however tempted by an RS Q3, very nice

I’ve recently sold my 2018 Audi Q5, and bought a used 2020 Macan S...which I’m loving!! I agree that the centre console buttons do look a bit strange, compared to the minimalist Q5 dash, but having used them for a few weeks, I like them, as you can operate whichever button function very quickly, without having to go through touch screen menus to find what you want!

Reactions: NevMan and RGBARGEE
I’ve recently sold my 2018 Audi Q5, and bought a used 2020 Macan S...which I’m loving!! I agree that the centre console buttons do look a bit strange, compared to the minimalist Q5 dash, but having used them for a few weeks, I like them, as you can operate whichever button function very quickly, without having to go through touch screen menus to find what you want!
The Porsche is a far better proposition that a Q3 or even RSQ3 in my opinion. We had the Q3 Sportback Vorsprung 45 quattro for 5 months and really did not like it at all. Although not a fan of SUVs in general the Q3 interior is far inferior to Porsche which feels rather special as opposed to ‘rather Airfix’. Sorry Audi you need to up your gdd as me as @Snake Pliskin suggests in another thread. Not sure I’d be so desperate as to buy a Mainly-Bling Mercedes however !

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
I happened to park next to this at the weekend and despite the wife thinking I was extremely sad, the colours were so vibrant I had to picture it!

View attachment 213147

Nice pic and now I know where your RSQ3 was from - both my SQ5 and A6 were from Hull. Good sensible guys to deal with in my experience, but they couldnt get near the price I got on the RS4 this time...

Reactions: NevMan
The Porsche is a far better proposition that a Q3 or even RSQ3 in my opinion. We had the Q3 Sportback Vorsprung 45 quattro for 5 months and really did not like it at all. Although not a fan of SUVs in general the Q3 interior is far inferior to Porsche which feels rather special as opposed to ‘rather Airfix’. Sorry Audi you need to up your gdd as me as @Snake Pliskin suggests in another thread. Not sure I’d be so desperate as to buy a Mainly-Bling Mercedes however !

Lol you just can’t resist getting a dig in about Mercs can you :tearsofjoy: anyway I haven’t got a Merc .... it’s an AMG :icon thumright:

Reactions: Terminator x, NevMan and Jassyo06

View attachment 213147

Love the RSQ3 - miles better than the Porsche which looks ancient parked next to your car. Brave colour choice but it does pull it off :icon thumright:

Reactions: firecracker69
Love the RSQ3 - miles better than the Porsche which looks ancient parked next to your car. Brave colour choice but it does pull it off :icon thumright:
Miami blue Porsche paint colour looks far classier by a country mile

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Lol you just can’t resist getting a dig in about Mercs can you :tearsofjoy: anyway I haven’t got a Merc .... it’s an AMG :icon thumright:

He can’t help himself. Audi (except Q3) and Porsche fanboy....like a stick record our friend

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
My mate with an MSc in Engineering reckons his 1995 E280 w124 ?estate was one of the last proper Merc.

he needs to get with it & move on with the times lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: RGBARGEE

View attachment 213147

RSQ3 looks so much better, that blue looks so washed out and the Porsche design look so old..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: firecracker69 and Snake Pliskin
RSQ3 looks so much better, that blue looks so washed out and the Porsche design look so old.. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should be remembered that the Macan design is 6 years old, but it’s still understated, whilst the RSQ3 has a modern ‘edgy’ look and, IMHO, is more ‘in yer face’.......but each to their own....!!

I do agree that Miami Blue isn’t the best colour, as I think darker colours suit the Macan better...but I am biased there lol!!

Reactions: JDHOWELLS
Nice pic and now I know where your RSQ3 was from - both my SQ5 and A6 were from Hull. Good sensible guys to deal with in my experience, but they couldnt get near the price I got on the RS4 this time...

Haha, it was never a secret tho. Ive always travelled for the right car, doesn’t bother me where in Country as long as I get the one I want. Correct, I purchased from Hull Audi, sadly for the previous owner they handed back shortly after buying due to unforeseen circumstances.

Buying from Hull Audi was simple, HOWEVER, after spending 55k I’ve never had a follow up call which IMO is appalling! Not even a quick courtesy follow up “how you getting on”. Something I’ve had from all other dealers! Just basic customer service imo.

RSQ3 looks so much better, that blue looks so washed out and the Porsche design look so old..

I’d be bias and say I prefer the RSQ3 for the exact reasons you just mentioned. I’ve never personally liked Porsche, any of them, just something I grew up disliking. Regardless, it’s all personal choice, just like people not liking the RSQ3 or the green, just a preference.
It does look dated, but as someone said it’s 6yrs old. The colour of both cars are better in real life strangely, the pictures don’t do either justice imo.

I’d be bias and say I prefer the RSQ3 for the exact reasons you just mentioned. I’ve never personally liked Porsche, any of them, just something I grew up disliking. Regardless, it’s all personal choice, just like people not liking the RSQ3 or the green, just a preference.
It does look dated, but as someone said it’s 6yrs old. The colour of both cars are better in real life strangely, the pictures don’t do either justice imo.

I think an RS car deserves a shouty colour too, wouldn’t work on standard car.. imo.. I’m in the market for a green vorsprung sportback in the new year hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Haha, it was never a secret tho. Ive always travelled for the right car, doesn’t bother me where in Country as long as I get the one I want. Correct, I purchased from Hull Audi, sadly for the previous owner they handed back shortly after buying due to unforeseen circumstances.

Buying from Hull Audi was simple, HOWEVER, after spending 55k I’ve never had a follow up call which IMO is appalling! Not even a quick courtesy follow up “how you getting on”. Something I’ve had from all other dealers! Just basic customer service imo.

That's pretty poor, and interestingly I bought three cars from them (well 2 and one the ex bought but I did the deal) as they were so good at keeping in touch post purchase of the first one.

Its just down to the individual I find and no matter how they try to standardise and process it, the fact is some are much more relationship focused than others.....

I think an RS car deserves a shorty colour too, wouldn’t work on standard car.. imo.. I’m in the market for a green vorsprung sportback in the new year hopefully
emoji1696.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well let’s keep talking! Lol.
Mine will be going in the new year, holding out hoping the new RS3 will be worth it..... or might consider the RS4 next if the price is right.

Mine will be going in the new year, holding out hoping the new RS3 will be worth it..... or might consider the RS4 next if the price is right.

Ive given up on the RS3/s3 - cant and shouldn’t have to force myself to like a car like that..

You have only just bought the ****** thing! If you kept them a bit longer you would be in an RSQ8 in a few years with the amount of depreciation woul would save!

Might be selling my RS4 in the spring. Too many cars and need a more modest estate with Targa 4S coming in March . 69 plate C&S Pan roof B&O. 6k miles currently and Immaculate. PM if interested.

Reactions: firecracker69 and Keef
You have only just bought the ****** thing! If you kept them a bit longer you would be in an RSQ8 in a few years with the amount of depreciation woul would save!

Yea I know, but I’ve owned it now so looking out for the next :racer:

I used to be like that, would change cars every 6-9 months, has cost me a fortune over the years. I reckon when EVs are the norm 'character' will be such a nuanced feeling that there will be no pleasure in private vehicle ownership, we are in the twilight years of IC engine ownership, enjoy it whilst you can.

I can't deny I do look at the RSQ8 with a degree of lust, hopefully it's not perfect either - probably wouldn't fit in the garage though.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Ju-
I used to be like that, would change cars every 6-9 months, has cost me a fortune over the years. I reckon when EVs are the norm 'character' will be such a nuanced feeling that there will be no pleasure in private vehicle ownership, we are in the twilight years of IC engine ownership, enjoy it whilst you can.

I can't deny I do look at the RSQ8 with a degree of lust, hopefully it's not perfect either - probably wouldn't fit in the garage though.

I think you can flip cars in 9 months if you buy privately and can be bothered with the hassle of chasing best price when you sell. Buying slightly used or new from a dealer and selling 6 months later is going to cost you a minimum of a grand a month.... and possibly a lot more. If you can commit to a grand a month every month, buy something nice and keep it!

I think you can flip cars in 9 months if you buy privately and can be bothered with the hassle of chasing best price when you sell. Buying slightly used or new from a dealer and selling 6 months later is going to cost you a minimum of a grand a month.... and possibly a lot more. If you can commit to a grand a month every month, buy something nice and keep it!
It all depends. We bought Q3 SB 45 Vorsprung in March 2020 sold in July - Lost £100 .. awful car. Bought RS4 in Mar 2018 sold in Sept 2019 lost less than £300 a month - lovely car so bought another.

It all depends. We bought Q3 SB 45 Vorsprung in March 2020 sold in July - Lost £100 .. awful car. Bought RS4 in Mar 2018 sold in Sept 2019 lost less than £300 a month - lovely car so bought another.

I think they are the exception rather than the rule. There will be somewhere between £1500 and £8k of dealer margin in the car you are buying and you cant always get them to give that up... which means of course that you effectively lose that immediately. I bought my M5 at about 30% discount new and still lost more than a grand a month...

I'd imagine the green machine will struggle to fetch more than £45k in a post Brexit, pandemic affected world next Jan or Feb....

Yea, I’m expecting 47-48k as a guess come feb/March. As you say, depends on how or if the market is hit.

Also will depend what options there are to change into anyway. One way or another each of us justify the loss (or find the extra) in the excitement of buying another car, if I can afford it I’ll do it, if not wait another month or so and see what else comes about...... get there in the end lol.

Reactions: isleaiw
Yea, I’m expecting 47-48k as a guess come feb/March. As you say, depends on how or if the market is hit.

Also will depend what options there are to change into anyway. One way or another each of us justify the loss (or find the extra) in the excitement of buying another car, if I can afford it I’ll do it, if not wait another month or so and see what else comes about...... get there in the end lol.

Indeed, I have walked out of dealers saying words to the effect of "I'll drive it into the ground rather than take that deal" and then a month later I am signing for something!

I banged my reg into WBAC and it came back with £31k :hubbahubba: As I'm nearing retirement and the car came with factory 5 year warranty/not doing many miles I'd hope to to keep it a year or two...

I banged my reg into WBAC and it came back with £31k :hubbahubba: As I'm nearing retirement and the car came with factory 5 year warranty/not doing many miles I'd hope to to keep it a year or two...

Just did the same, mine came back at £48,700
So there’s a £6k reduction in 6 weeks roughly :haha::haha::haha:

Just looked again, things are looking up, £45k.

I realistic terms for practicality being a keen clay shooter there anything else out there that I'd even remotely consider.

I think they are the exception rather than the rule. There will be somewhere between £1500 and £8k of dealer margin in the car you are buying and you cant always get them to give that up... which means of course that you effectively lose that immediately. I bought my M5 at about 30% discount new and still lost more than a grand a month...

I'd imagine the green machine will struggle to fetch more than £45k in a post Brexit, pandemic affected world next Jan or Feb....
I agree with your estimate for a green RSQ3. They are unlikely to have people queuing up. Choosing the right car, in a popular colour with the right options is the key to cheap motoring. Also doing a px whilst simple can cost thousands of £s. Since opting out of a company car scheme in 1994 I have always saved £4-500 a month into a car savings account and so far rarely have had to top this up to fund 2 main cars. But you do have to put in the effort which I actually rather enjoy. My second B9 RS4 audi-sport edition 69 plate cost just over £60k with C&S pack. Reckon they are still selling at £55k which is nowhere near £1000 a month loss on an M5.

Just did the same, mine came back at £48,700
So there’s a £6k reduction in 6 weeks roughly :haha::haha::haha:
For fear of attack the country is in a very nervous state about B and C and prices will be pessimistic currently. What we need is for the A to wake up to reality.

I agree with your estimate for a green RSQ3. They are unlikely to have people queuing up. Choosing the right car, in a popular colour with the right options is the key to cheap motoring. Also doing a px whilst simple can cost thousands of £s. Since opting out of a company car scheme in 1994 I have always saved £4-500 a month into a car savings account and so far rarely have had to top this up to fund 2 main cars. But you do have to put in the effort which I actually rather enjoy. My second B9 RS4 audi-sport edition 69 plate cost just over £60k with C&S pack. Reckon they are still selling at £55k which is nowhere near £1000 a month loss on an M5.

If they are selling at £55k then the trade price is probably £52k to £53k - so say up to £9k in how many months?

I finance my cars as finance is less than my savings earn....I put the same as my car costs (full cost including deposit) into an ISA each month.... it makes the car very expensive each month in terms of outflows but I always have cash if needed!

I hate the buying process, I set myself a price and put it out there, no negotiating, I know what is fair and I am not bothered about screwing the last few pounds out of a deal - my brother worked in the trade for many years.....

If they are selling at £55k then the trade price is probably £52k to £53k - so say up to £9k in how many months?

I finance my cars as finance is less than my savings earn....I put the same as my car costs (full cost including deposit) into an ISA each month.... it makes the car very expensive each month in terms of outflows but I always have cash if needed!

I hate the buying process, I set myself a price and put it out there, no negotiating, I know what is fair and I am not bothered about screwing the last few pounds out of a deal - my brother worked in the trade for many years.....

I tend not to sell at trade price. Sold last RS4 after 18 months for £54.5k plus £200 refund on car tax. Reckon at worst, loss on current car £400 a month probably nearer £300, whatever, it is no where near £1000 a month. It is not about screwing the last £ out of the deal, rather it is about saving a huge amount of money!!

I would be interested to know how you can finance a car on current terms for a lesser amount than paying cash. Typical PCP figures are upwards of 6% on new cars and if you get 2% on savings you are lucky, so on say a £30k loan using someone else's money you are paying £100 a month in excess interest.

I appreciate we all have our own way of doing things but for me as long as I have sufficient savings I will use cash every time but only after signing up for a PCP and withdrawing within 14 days if there are benefits to be had.

So my advice, avoid borrowing to fund a car and run around in a banger for 2 to 3 years and save up £15-20k of monthly payments and work up from there.

I tend not to sell at trade price. Sold last RS4 after 18 months for £54.5k plus £200 refund on car tax. Reckon at worst, loss on current car £400 a month probably nearer £300, whatever, it is no where near £1000 a month. It is not about screwing the last £ out of the deal, rather it is about saving a huge amount of money!!

I would be interested to know how you can finance a car on current terms for a lesser amount than paying cash. Typical PCP figures are upwards of 6% on new cars and if you get 2% on savings you are lucky, so on say a £30k loan using someone else's money you are paying £100 a month in excess interest.

I appreciate we all have our own way of doing things but for me as long as I have sufficient savings I will use cash every time but only after signing up for a PCP and withdrawing within 14 days if there are benefits to be had.

So my advice, avoid borrowing to fund a car and run around in a banger for 2 to 3 years and save up £15-20k of monthly payments and work up from there.

I dont do private sales, tend to sell to the dealer groups and who will give the best price.... or WBAC if they are better.... too much risk in private sales and I am a risk manager by trade...

I dont save in cash, pointless. I use stocks and shares ISAs up to the limit, and pension fund, up to the limit. The average return on those over the last few years is higher even than Audi's finance rates (although I wouldnt normally stick with dealer finance, I'd refinance to Clydesdale or my bank at much lower rates.... but the GFV on the RS4 is so high I reckon there is value in the Audi finance).

What is they say, pay for appreciating assets and finance depreciating ones. That's pretty much what I try and do....

I'm not bothered about last few quid in deal, that might be a waste of money, but I have had some great goodwill gestures from the dealers I use. Dont get me wrong, I know a price that the market will give and I wont pay more, I just dont push for the last £5, my time is too valuable and I want the dealer to sell me my next car!

As you say, horses for courses. The one thing you can guarantee is that what works for one isnt right for another. But if you paid over £60k and it sells at a dealer at £55k, and you have had it between 15 and 9 months, you have lost upwards of £400 a month and maybe £700..... My first rule is to be crystal clear on how much my cars cost ;)

I dont do private sales, tend to sell to the dealer groups and who will give the best price.... or WBAC if they are better.... too much risk in private sales and I am a risk manager by trade...

As you say, horses for courses. The one thing you can guarantee is that what works for one isnt right for another. But if you paid over £60k and it sells at a dealer at £55k, and you have had it between 15 and 9 months, you have lost upwards of £400 a month and maybe £700..... My first rule is to be crystal clear on how much my cars cost ;)

I rarely do private sales and these tend to be older low value cars. WBAC on a 2009 TT £4000, sold for £5800 within 24 hours, new purchaser happy as Larry with usual disclaimers. Not sure where 9 months and £700 a month comes from in your example. I bought for 60, Dealer sold for £57500 and I pocketed £54.7k and that was over 18 month! Current car from Sept 69 plate so 16 month and figures look very similar. Dealers asking £57k, I should return £54-55k if I sell so.. 60 -55 divided by either 18 months ( 18-69) or 16 months currently so to be crystal clear this is no where near £700 a month.

As for pensions, each to their own on that one but mine aren't increasing by 7% in the current Pandemic Brexit bolloxcks environment.