RSQ3 8U tuning options

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know they'll not be many owners on here with direct experience of tuning these but a general opinion would be great

I've owned my 2016 RSQ3 for 2 1/2 years now. I'm not in any rush to sell it and so I'm looking to add a little more performance.

I'll not be going any further than a stage 1 upgrade and would prefer a map to a tuning box.

The main options seem to be

Revo
APR
Celtic tuning
Superchips
Unicorn

I have been offered a stage 1 ecu and tcu map for £600 which I believe is a regal tuning map. The quoted figures are 420bhp and 620nm up from 340 and 420....the torque seems high for me and its a tuner I'd never heard of.

My head says Revo and I can use the sps as a bonus...no tcu map available though. I've had quite a few APR maps in the past and the figures are comparable to the ones quoted above. No EMCS map switching on the RSQ3 though and they are quite expensive in comparison, especially of you add the tcu map

Superchips and Celtic tuning can be done via a unit sent out in the mail but I'm not sure the maps would be tried, tested and fine tuned for the RS.

Unicorn in Manchester do see to have a good rep and being a custom map would seem a very good option.

Reactions: NevMan
I know they'll not be many owners on here with direct experience of tuning these but a general opinion would be great

I've owned my 2016 RSQ3 for 2 1/2 years now. I'm not in any rush to sell it and so I'm looking to add a little more performance.

I'll not be going any further than a stage 1 upgrade and would prefer a map to a tuning box.

The main options seem to be

Revo
APR
Celtic tuning
Superchips
Unicorn

I have been offered a stage 1 ecu and tcu map for £600 which I believe is a regal tuning map. The quoted figures are 420bhp and 620nm up from 340 and 420....the torque seems high for me and its a tuner I'd never heard of.

My head says Revo and I can use the sps as a bonus...no tcu map available though. I've had quite a few APR maps in the past and the figures are comparable to the ones quoted above. No EMCS map switching on the RSQ3 though and they are quite expensive in comparison, especially of you add the tcu map

Superchips and Celtic tuning can be done via a unit sent out in the mail but I'm not sure the maps would be tried, tested and fine tuned for the RS.

Unicorn in Manchester do see to have a good rep and being a custom map would seem a very good option.

No personal experience here, but would say Revo a pretty good option, and always heard positive stuff about Unicorn, they appear to really know their stuff

Reactions: -Ju-
No personal experience here, but would say Revo a pretty good option, and always heard positive stuff about Unicorn, they appear to really know their stuff
Yes I think as a generic map, Revo is a good safe option and I like the idea of the sps switch. The figures don't seem as high as APR but peak figures aren't everything.

Is a custom map like unicorns worth it, I know every car is different but I'm not chasing figures and Revo feels safer being a big company

I think I'm leaning towards Revo or APR but I'm also thinking I might just go the whole hog and get the tcu tune at the same time and have done with it!

AFAIK Revo don't do a tcu tune but APR do or there's the tvs 2+.

Would it be better getting both with APR (if they do both for the RSQ3) as they'll be a perfect match or does it not really matter?

I'm guessing the tcu tune is worth it even on its own?