1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

RS6 Grill opinions?

jojo Nov 2, 2015

1. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

So I'm exploring the idea of fitting an RS6 Grill onto my A6 S-Line, it's in Daytona Grey, and I fancy the black grill, but I have the chrome window trims. Will it look odd, or shall I just go for the chrome finished grill instead?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. D3mon

D3mon Registered User

If it was me I'd stick with the chrome finish to match the chrome window trims. If you're mad keen on the black grill though, you could do the trims with Plastidip or perhaps replace them with black at a push.

jojo likes this.
  4. jojo

Plastidip is not something I'm going to use, but swooping the trim bits to black is a possibility. Depends how difficult they are to take off, and availability of the black ones, including the roof rails.

5. IceHanger

IceHanger Active Member VCDS Map User

Where'd you find to get the Grills? Or is it gauntlet time on fleebay lol

6. jojo

Ebay special! lol If you buy a genuine RS6 grill, you need to mod the bits to attach it to the bumper. Ebay ones just replace the existing grill, straight swop apparently?

7. jojo

OK, don't laugh! :laugh:

Black
    [​IMG]

Or Chrome
    [​IMG]

8. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

9. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

10. evans1089

evans1089 Registered User

Can anyone find one for an all road? Ones that xenon sell don't fit

11. jojo

Yes, I quite like the 'quattro' badge, so the plan is to have one there. :)

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. jojo

I went with black in the end.

[​IMG]

Audimad, fingermouse and D3mon like this.
  14. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

can u post 2 pics side by side before and after pls :) Might do this to my wifes car .......

15. jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

TimM, AllroadUpNorth and fingermouse like this.
  16. TimM

TimM Registered User

I'm thinking of doing this to the new motor. Did you have any fitting issues or just a straight swap in and out and fit is good? Easy DIY job?

17. jojo

No fitting issues with the one I purchased. If I have to be honest, the item quality is 5/10, the outside part you can see if fine, but the inside isn't fully painted, but not an issue for most people. It's a direct swop, easier with an extra pair of hands, though I think I could do the swop in an hr, now I know how to. Hardest bit is undoing the 10mm bolt in the corner of the wings that supports the bumper.

TimM likes this.
  18. TimM

TimM Registered User

Good stuff, thanks for the reply.

Which one did you go for if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently watching the xenonz one which is only 1 of 2 uk based onesi can find on ebay. Quality seems ok in the pics from what i can see at least.

19. jojo

I got a Zenonz one.

TimM likes this.
  20. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Good job on the grill swap!

Ive just wrapped my chrome trim in satin black, in preparation for the black optics (OEM) RS grill.

2016-04-11 17.52.38.jpg

If you want to actually swap out the trim, its quite cost prohibitive (about £800 in parts - excluding the roof rails)
    A word of caution regarding non OEM grills - if you have any optional camera's (front parking/night vision etc.) then you need to confirm the optional cameras will fit correctly. If not, the OEM RS grill - with the additional components needed to fit the cameras - is the only way to go.

TimM likes this.
  21. donmeister

donmeister Registered User

I too am looking at doing the grill conversion (FL A6 2016). If removing the front bumper, are there electrical connections for the parking sensors + do the headlight washers stay in place or come away with the bumper? If they come away with the bumper, is there much play in the washer lines? My car does not have any cameras in the grill so the xenonz grill would be fine.
    Has anybody checked with their insurance company before doing this conversion as to whether it would effect the premium (you would not want your insurance to be void if the unthinkable happened! and you had not told them).
    cheers

22. jojo

The headlamp washer tube is undone on the passenger side, I used a hose clamp, or you will lose all your washer fluid! Parking sensor wiring needs to be unplugged from the driverside. When using the xenonz front grill, the front grill parking sensors are a direct swop, you need to undo the oem adaptor on the sensor, self explanetary once you are holding it.

I have declared my RS6 grill on my insurance.

TimM likes this.
  23. donmeister

donmeister Registered User

20160827_114714 (2).jpg 20160827_114403.jpg IMG-20160806-WA0003.jpg 20160806_102629.jpg 20160827_114338 2.jpg 20160818_123854.jpg

A few pictures of the bi turbo with the RS6 grill fitted , a subtle bit of wrapping to the front lower spoiler, re-badging on wings and new brushed aluminium mirrors.

Audimad, Rhyso and jojo like this.
  24. jojo

Great car colour choice! Looks amazing! :cool: