RS6 gear-lever retrofit.

The Black Panther

Adventurer !
Reaction score
So I have an RS6 gear-lever to retro fit.
First question to RAF before fitting was your gear lever button also depressed in and not moving ? Is this normal. Gear lever is from 2015 RS6. RAF see pics which illustrate button question.

IMG 3231

IMG 3233

Reactions: martinivw and jojo
Button must be not depressed to fit, you'll need to reposition the internal rod to the locked position & then the button will be in the non depressed state.

Reactions: martinivw and The Black Panther
Thankyou for that info much appreciated. Any online guide on how to achieve this ?
Button must be not depressed to fit, you'll need to reposition the internal rod to the locked position & then the button will be in the non depressed state.

You need to lever the button out, using a thin blade/screwdriver. Then grasp the button and rotate it out as far as you can, then slip something underneath the button, to prevent it returning to the closed position - its spring loaded to return to the closed position. When it's fixed to a lever, the spring loaded action locks it to the actual gear lever.

With The button extended, you can slide it over (your modified nylon) gear stick.

Just a caution - are you 100% certain it's an RS6 knob? (The RS knobs all look the same) If it's not from an RS6 (or 7) it won't fit as the gear levers are different across platforms.

Have you decided which method to use to change the nylon lever orientation?

John.

Reactions: martinivw and The Black Panther
Great detail there thanks i got the picture now. :)

Orientation I'm thinking heat and twist. What did you use to heat yours up ? Im thinking a device like this https://www.johnlewis.com/kitchen-craft-knightsbridge-cook's-blowtorch/p176268?sku=230133836&s_kwcid=2dx92700016658238565&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CMb4gIq-qNQCFQoTGwod1tUPpg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Regarding the RS6 knob. Its impossible to guarantee but the person i bought it from i also bought the RS6 wheel and the full brembo set from all at the same time. I never physically witnessed the donor car but it was described as a 2015 RS6.

You need to lever the button out, using a thin blade/screwdriver. Then grasp the button and rotate it out as far as you can, then slip something underneath the button, to prevent it returning to the closed position - its spring loaded to return to the closed position. When it's fixed to a lever, the spring loaded action locks it to the actual gear lever.

With The button extended, you can slide it over (your modified nylon) gear stick.

Just a caution - are you 100% certain it's an RS6 knob? (The RS knobs all look the same) If it's not from an RS6 (or 7) it won't fit as the gear levers are different across platforms.

Have you decided which method to use to change the nylon lever orientation?

John.

Reactions: martinivw
Some part numbers in pics.
Also RAF the silver button pops out at the bottom ? Just checking
IMG 3245

IMG 3243

Reactions: martinivw
Great detail there thanks i got the picture now. :)

Orientation I'm thinking heat and twist. What did you use to heat yours up ? Im thinking a device like this https://www.johnlewis.com/kitchen-craft-knightsbridge-cook's-blowtorch/p176268?sku=230133836&s_kwcid=2dx92700016658238565&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CMb4gIq-qNQCFQoTGwod1tUPpg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Regarding the RS6 knob. Its impossible to guarantee but the person i bought it from i also bought the RS6 wheel and the full brembo set from all at the same time. I never physically witnessed the donor car but it was described as a 2015 RS6.

As far as heating, I definitely wouldn't go with any type of naked flame/blowtorch inside the car!

You want a heatgun, this is basically an industrial hairdryer like this or similar.

On the actual knob, the silver button will pop out from the bottom. The top of the button is on a pivot.

You can either use a long thin tool with an "L" shape on the end (very fiddly) or a small screwdriver on the actual button - just be careful it doesn't slip and scratch your chrome surround.

On the gear knob, the surround part number 4G2713139AF matches that of an RS6 or 7, so you should be good to go :racer:

Reactions: The Black Panther
Perfect - got it - thanks :)
As far as heating, I definitely wouldn't go with any type of naked flame/blowtorch inside the car!

You want a heatgun, this is basically an industrial hairdryer like this or similar.

On the actual knob, the silver button will pop out from the bottom. The top of the button is on a pivot.

You can either use a long thin tool with an "L" shape on the end (very fiddly) or a small screwdriver on the actual button - just be careful it doesn't slip and scratch your chrome surround.

On the gear knob, the surround part number 4G2713139AF matches that of an RS6 or 7, so you should be good to go :racer:

Reactions: RAF_S7
I'm looking so forward to doing this mod as well

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Black Panther
No im away from home for 4.5 weeks plus my calipers and steering wheel will be fitted before the gear lever. Expect August or September

Was the the leather surround plug and play ? Any need to remove or cut the clips or other mods ?

Plug and play as far as Im aware... (Mine came with the leather already attached)

If yours does not have the leather attached, its a bit of a pain to remove and reuse the existing leather gaiter (did this on the A7) but its possible with a little patience :racer:

just about to do this mod to my A7, i've bought my Gearknob new - the leather gaitor so i will just have to tie wrap the leather gaitor to the knob from the inside.

RAF_S7 can i ask how long do you have to heat the plastic in the centre before each twist is it around 10/15 seconds then a gentle turn then repeat?

Cheers

Hi i am thinking of performing the side facing gearstick to front facing gearstick conversion on my audi a7.

Did anybody try it and was it a straightforward thing as alot of folk i have spoken to have said not to bother as its quite risky.

I am based in west yorkshire so if you know anybody that has done it or can do it ten please can you recommend them.

Thank you

Has anyone done this from this style

Interior-of-2016-Audi-A6-Avant.jpg

To the RS model... Anyone have any part numbers?