RS6 C6 headlights retrofitted to a B6

mlody

Reaction score
Well lads, We came up with a brilliant idea to put together 3 sets of headlights to make one:
- Rs6 C6
- A4 B8
- A4 B6

took the leds and the blade out of the rs6 and the projector out of the b8, all that was squeezed into the OEM Bi-xenon housing, here is the result :p

20120715_104420.jpg

20120715_104643.jpg

13423542615990.jpg

20120715_104529.jpg

Took a step further and decided to do the indicator also in LEDs :p

Audi A4 B6 with custom made RS6 C6 headlights 1 - YouTube

and here is how it all works
A4 B6 with custom RS6 C6 headlights 3 - YouTube
Audi A4 B6 with RS6 C6 custom made headlights2 - YouTube

What do you reckon? :)

Last edited:
Really like the lights! Clearly lots of work gone into those.

Not too sure about the DRLs completely switching off with the indicators, I thought DRLs only dimmed slightly when the indicator LEDs were lit? Pretty sure if my side-lights switched off when my indicators came on, it'd be an MOT failure over here.

Loved the air in the "headlights 3" video too. Awesome looking car!

Look at the videos though, they appear to be hooked up to the sidelights. They might look like DRLs, but I think technically these are just really big LED sidelight bulbs.

(Not a criticism! - I hooked my LEDs up like this too)

EDIT:

If I'm wrong, I'd quite like to know how you've hooked them up. Thanks.

Last edited:
The main idea was to keep the DRLs on and dim them when the indicator comes on but the indicator leds are a bit too weak to stand out more than the white ones. I think I will try to get the white to go off for the whole duration of indicating instead of them flashing with the orange ones like now

I don't know if it'd fail nct, sure when the dipped lights are on and you put the indicator on they don't go off, it's just the little side bulb, do you rekon they might be giving out because of that? Sure if they will, I'm gonna borrow another set of headlights for the test :p

There is a few ways of connecting it up, I'm now trying to work out the best way :p

These headlights are so class in person, just work of art, delighted for ya Matty :)

Haha, yea, I wasn't going to risk mine through an MOT anyway. It's gonna be way less hassle to just unplug the LEDs and fit a standard bulb for the test.

If you look on ebay there are several DRL relays available, some that apparently dim the DRLs when signalling. Could be worth a look?

I dont want it like that, I want the LEDs to go off completely or you won't be able to see the indicator...

Like I said, there were several different relays available (or at least there were when I last checked). There might still be something that will do exactly what you want.

Still, amazing job on the fabrication they look completely OEM. Very jealous! Wish I had some RS6 headlights to destroy, lol.

Hi mlody I think your lights look amazing and it looks like you have done a really thorough job rather than a bodge! If you ever decide to start a small production line I would definitely be interested :D

You have also given me inspiration to paint the chrome trim on the upper and lower grills black. I have the same colour car and GMBH kit on mine and I have been debating on whether to paint them for ages. What did you use to paint them?

Top work mate, I really admire your work.

Hi cnut (I had to read your name twice to figure out that it's not something else... :p )

I don't think there is any point to start the production line, unfortunatelly these don't work out cheap, you need 3 different sets of headlights to build one and rs6s themselves are a good few pounds.

@Grilles, I bought these genuine black, had the standard ones painted and kept getting stone chips so decided to go for genuine black this time, have them a year and not a mark on them :)

Cheers for the appreciation

Hi cnut (I had to read your name twice to figure out that it's not something else... :p )

I don't think there is any point to start the production line, unfortunatelly these don't work out cheap, you need 3 different sets of headlights to build one and rs6s themselves are a good few pounds.

@Grilles, I bought these genuine black, had the standard ones painted and kept getting stone chips so decided to go for genuine black this time, have them a year and not a mark on them :)

Cheers for the appreciation

Lol, it's actually short for Corrado Nut from the days when I had one.

Fair enough, I didn't think you would (I know I wouldn't) besides its nice to be the only car in the world to have them!

I didn't know Audi did genuine black ones? Do you have the part numbers handy?

No problem mate.

S4 grilles like my ones:
8E0 807 647 F 5PV
8E0 853 651 H 5PV

Really like the lights ! Air still has me giggling like a schoolgirl when I see a car drop !!

Very nice touch m8 looks sweet....I'm not jealous honest...

The lights are for sale, pm me for more details. Price : 750e.

@mlody: how did you open the B6 headlights without destroying the glas??

there were done in poland dude but he split is old headlights and joey modded them, think he just used a headgun and loads of patience lol

Finally I got some A6 C6 headlights with LED daylight... but I don't understand how I get the LEDs into the B6 housing because the electronic plate for the DRL is really big... and it is nearly the same like the RS6 DRL... how did you "hide" the electronic? In the A6 headlights 5he electronic part is UNDER the projector...
Do you have a picture maybe??
Thank you!!!! :)

Finally I got some A6 C6 headlights with LED daylight... but I don't understand how I get the LEDs into the B6 housing because the electronic plate for the DRL is really big... and it is nearly the same like the RS6 DRL... how did you "hide" the electronic? In the A6 headlights 5he electronic part is UNDER the projector...
Do you have a picture maybe??
Thank you!!!! :)

I know this is an old thread (2,5 yrs), but for anyone looking to do this.. I'm currently working on a set like that (non-RS6, but normal A6). I've got the headlights opened and separated, and indeed, the electronics of the A6 strip do stand out from the housing.

Possibly the RS6 setup uses a different PCB, as it's a 10 LED bar intsead of a 6 LED bar on the A6. Hence, I'm going for another method and retrofitting cheap eBay LEDs into the OEM bar. Got some spare 10W's (850-950lm) laying around and they seem to work perfectly well in the reflector. Running them at ~2-4W makes sure they don't get TOO hot, even without a heatsink, while they still manage twice the light output (200-350lm) when compared to the stock Osram LEDs (75-100lm each).

Will post pictures when it's done!

Reactions: barkclark