RS5 vs S5

Cooper82

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for upgrading from an A5 to an S5 or RS5.
What are the views on the new S5 TDI? I could either do a factory order on the new S5 or buy an Rs5 sportback in a few months. My only issue with the Sportback RS5 is the lack of matrix headlights as standards and not the option to have adaptive cruise control or head up display which I am used to when driving. Driven an RS5 sportback for a week and it was amazing. Just concerned with the additional cost of maintaining an RS model.

Have you settled on "new"?

2nd hand Petrol S5 + some tuning will get you to RS5 (or near anyway).

Interiors are pretty much identical, as is suspension. Well, near enough for road use.

Not sure how or where I've ever thought "blimey, I wish my stock S5 were faster" & the inside is a fantastic place to be.

Have you settled on "new"?

2nd hand Petrol S5 + some tuning will get you to RS5 (or near anyway).

Interiors are pretty much identical, as is suspension. Well, near enough for road use.

Not sure how or where I've ever thought "blimey, I wish my stock S5 were faster" & the inside is a fantastic place to be.

I am used to the adaptive cruise control and head up display so not many of those available 2nd hand for an S5. Only way I could get those options would be with a factory order Vorsprung S5 which would be a similar price to a 2019 RS5 sportback.

Reactions: JonChalk
I am used to the adaptive cruise control and head up display so not many of those available 2nd hand for an S5. Only way I could get those options would be with a factory order Vorsprung S5 which would be a similar price to a 2019 RS5 sportback.

Fair point - not fussed about the HUD. ACC would be nice, though.

Driving around 90 miles a day so ACC is pretty useful for me when traffic is heavy.
Disappointed that Audi has removed quite a lot of extras from the configurator

Just joined the forum so can put my 0.2c in, I'd say go digging and find a well specc'd up B9 RS5. You will get one after some patience with all the toys you want (it took me around 3 months and I jumped at mine as it has nearly every option).
As for economy, well on a m-way run with ACC set to 70mph I got an indicated 36mpg which is pretty damn good in my opinion. When I'm 'making progress' it's around 13mpg on the B roads (the handling is far better than I expected).
As for the latest S models and diesel......well to me the bad points far outweigh the good. It's slower than the outgoing (not sure how you manage that in a performance car) and whilst the tech is better etc it's a huge step backwards. Fake quad pipes....seriously? And would you want everyone pointing that out all the time?
To me the most telling comment was when I picked up my RS5-asked the audi exec how many S models they had sold. His answer was 'none'. His explanation (which sounds bang on) is that post 'dieselgate' VAG had a ton of diesel engines lying around and so they needed to fit them into platforms or bin them. Hence the S debacle. They wont be selling well.

Just joined the forum so can put my 0.2c in, I'd say go digging and find a well specc'd up B9 RS5. You will get one after some patience with all the toys you want (it took me around 3 months and I jumped at mine as it has nearly every option).
As for economy, well on a m-way run with ACC set to 70mph I got an indicated 36mpg which is pretty damn good in my opinion. When I'm 'making progress' it's around 13mpg on the B roads (the handling is far better than I expected).
As for the latest S models and diesel......well to me the bad points far outweigh the good. It's slower than the outgoing (not sure how you manage that in a performance car) and whilst the tech is better etc it's a huge step backwards. Fake quad pipes....seriously? And would you want everyone pointing that out all the time?
To me the most telling comment was when I picked up my RS5-asked the audi exec how many S models they had sold. His answer was 'none'. His explanation (which sounds bang on) is that post 'dieselgate' VAG had a ton of diesel engines lying around and so they needed to fit them into platforms or bin them. Hence the S debacle. They wont be selling well.

Correct - Porsche binned diesel and magically, loads of 3.0 diesel engines need homes!

I think what sealed it for me was the missus (also a petrolhead) said 'if you buy an S-EVERY time you see an RS model on the road your heart will sink as you know you should be in that one and not the S'
Sold!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I think what sealed it for me was the missus (also a petrolhead) said 'if you buy an S-EVERY time you see an RS model on the road your heart will sink as you know you should be in that one and not the S'
Sold!

Your Missus is indeed very smart! RS5 is far more special than an S..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I've just had B9 S5s for 3 years and really enjoyed them however of course an RS5 is better especially looks wise. But, I'm not sure it's worth so much more money for what performance gains you get. Could be wrong - dont pretend to have driven one just my thought. I can definitely say the S5 sounds better.

I’ve just picked up my new RS5 having traded my 19 Plate B9 S5 in.

before I bought the RS5 like most S5 owners I didn’t think there would be a big difference but there is.

The RS5 feels like a different car and it drives in comfort the way the S5 drove in dynamic. When you slip it into dynamic it’s a different beast altogether.

without denigrating the S5 which I loved but the RS is just better. I hope that helps folks out there like me who weren’t too sure of the differences

Reactions: firecracker69
Correct - Porsche binned diesel and magically, loads of 3.0 diesel engines need homes!
Interesting, I bought my B9 S5 Sportback just before lockdown and I wonder if the B9.5 diesel will help the residuals of mine???

Reactions: V6 Quatt
I've just had B9 S5s for 3 years and really enjoyed them however of course an RS5 is better especially looks wise. But, I'm not sure it's worth so much more money for what performance gains you get. Could be wrong - dont pretend to have driven one just my thought. I can definitely say the S5 sounds better.

S5 sounds better because it only has one turbo.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
S5 sounds better because it only has one turbo.

I went from a 2018 S5 to a 2019 RS5 and personally the RS sounded miles better in every way. Better sound, better crackles, louder, so imo the RS wins hands down!

Again, just imo, the RS felt a better car all round, better looks etc, but was it worth the extra £££££....... no, I think the S5 gives you everything you need for the money. If money is not an option, RS easy.

If I had money for a B9 RS5, I'd be spending it on a C7 RS6 Performance, but that wasn't the question, so probably not very helpful

Seeing as you hardly see any new S5/S6/7 on the roads you could benefit from having exclusivity.
That also works against you as they are plainly not selling in volume for a variety of reasons.
For me it would be it’s slower than the outgoing (and against all other competitors) plus the whole fake quad pipes is something I just couldn’t live with. Audi have dropped a huge ball on them imo.
I hear you on the RS6 PE. It was a consideration while I was hunting for a car. Went with the B9 RS5 and while it’s an amazing car (sound improved with Milltek) in every way and I love driving it, it’s not a WMD aggressive sledge hammer of a car like the C7 which is disappointing. The B9 is far too smooth for its own good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I’ve just been through all this process. I’ve just traded my petrol S4 avant ( fully loaded ) for an S5 sportback (Diesel). I looked at second hand Rs5 and tested one .
I also tried to find fully loaded S5 sportback petrol with decent mileage .. nothing decent with the tour package around .
So the S5 diesel is just a totally different car of course ... it’s torque is utterly astonishing, it accelerates without any drama . So if you like drama, it’s not the car for you . I’ve done 400 miles so far - got 41mpg last night on 120m round trip of mixed roads (motorway / A road / urban). Very quick , but no drama .. it’s a fast cruiser to be honest .

The sound is not like the S4 or RS5..but I’ve grown beyond that and I didn’t want something that attracted undue attention and I just thought the Rs5 was too aggressive for me (worried about what I’d do if I see red mist ...).

There are some launch spec S5 B9.5 cars around : I have a launch edition and discount including Audi contribution was close to 30% ! Every option box ticked .. slightly more than the Vorsprung.
There are still a few around online if you look on autotrader (they are from Audi dealers but they are not always advertising on the Audi website as they are not used ...)
Time will tell on the diesel issue . I focus on the car handling / interior and the looks ... it’s so rare to use / need the power anyhow nowadays . I admit I picked a quiet time to go refuel in case I got the “ what’s he doing putting the devils fuel in that”

Don’t worry about the fake quad pipes, nobody can tell .. they all get dirty !

What a nice first world dilemma you have . Good luck ..

Reactions: Cooper82, V6 Quatt and Frizzley
Funny, I’ve just been through all this process. I’ve just traded my petrol S4 avant ( fully loaded ) for an S5 sportback (Diesel). I looked at second hand Rs5 and tested one .
I also tried to find fully loaded S5 sportback petrol with decent mileage .. nothing decent with the tour package around .
So the S5 diesel is just a totally different car of course ... it’s torque is utterly astonishing, it accelerates without any drama . So if you like drama, it’s not the car for you . I’ve done 400 miles so far - got 41mpg last night on 120m round trip of mixed roads (motorway / A road / urban). Very quick , but no drama .. it’s a fast cruiser to be honest .

The sound is not like the S4 or RS5..but I’ve grown beyond that and I didn’t want something that attracted undue attention and I just thought the Rs5 was too aggressive for me (worried about what I’d do if I see red mist ...).

There are some launch spec S5 B9.5 cars around : I have a launch edition and discount including Audi contribution was close to 30% ! Every option box ticked .. slightly more than the Vorsprung.
There are still a few around online if you look on autotrader (they are from Audi dealers but they are not always advertising on the Audi website as they are not used ...)
Time will tell on the diesel issue . I focus on the car handling / interior and the looks ... it’s so rare to use / need the power anyhow nowadays . I admit I picked a quiet time to go refuel in case I got the “ what’s he doing putting the devils fuel in that”

Good read hope youre enjoying it. I have the petrol version took me 4 months to find a good specced one!!

Wish I got your response earlier. Went a totally different way and got an etron instead.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and NevMan
Wish I got your response earlier. Went a totally different way and got an etron instead.

Ive always wanted an RS 5 too however after owning my TTRS, saw a launch spec S5 and thought I give it a go. Absolutely no regrets in getting it and echo all of Nham68 comments above.

How are you finding etron , starting to see the odd one on the road now?

Reactions: NevMan
I recently went from a 2017 Petrol S5 SB to a 2019 RS5 SB. in my view they are actually very different cars. I did love the S5, it was black with red seats and looked stunning. I'd had it remapped to 400 BHP with an extra 100 NM of torque which I thought would put it closely on the heels of an RS5... I was wrong! The RS5 feels much much faster.

The S5 feels like it's all set up for very refined and comfy fast driving, a great every day car that when put unto dynamic becomes a bit of a monster... but the RS5 feels like it's been set up to be much more brutal. The great thing is that in comfort mode it'll do the daily driver thing... but when it goes into dynamic it becomes a beast! The handling on the RS is way better, feels so much more level in corners. The only thing lacking is more empty roads!

Mine is the sport edition, one of the 500 they imported in 2019. Has the comfort and sound pack and I have added the nicer rims and kept the stock ones for my winter rubber. The sports exhaust is cool, nice to be able to vary that. It's missing the adjustable suspension settings and red brake calipers (something that comes STANDARD on my wifes 2018 Polo GTI .... ) But there is enough spec above my S5 to make it feel more special... I would personally avoid Pano roofs in the future though, the rattles are a pain & far out weight any function!

I won't get the RS5 chipped (for warranty reasons) ...

Is the RS5 worth the extra money ? ... probably...

Reactions: V6 Quatt and NevMan

I know this thread is old, but I have found that this is a common and misleading view. I have had S4s (B8, B8.5 tuned), currently have a B9 RS5 SB, and have driven most performance-oriented Audi models on the track including R8 V10+, RS7, RS5, RS3, TTRS, S5, S4, S3, TTS.

The S5 is a nice car that does a lot of things well, but the RS5 is way more than an S5 with more power. The RS5 gets around a track better than any Audi but the R8, it has a different body, is wider and lower, has bigger tires and brakes, different suspension and shocks, augmented cooling, different programming for the various Drive Select modes including but not limited to the behavior of the Sport Differential and transmission, and it has more power than most tuned S5s without jeopardizing the factory warranty.

If you never play on twisty roads or track your car, an S5 with more horsepower might be a good fit. But, if you like play on anything but a straight road, the RS5 is significantly more capable.