1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B9 RS4 real world performance and Plug-in 'upgrades'

cosmicblue Nov 21, 2018

1. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

So having a slightly less wild schedule this week I find myself browsing the YouTube, checking out the RS4 reviews, comparing performance figures and now I have a question....

There are at least two YouTube web reviews that suggest that the 0-60 sprint is demolished in 3.2-3.7 secs (Car Wow and Topgear), noting that Audi tend to understate real world performance and engine output stats citing 'worst case/poor fuel'.

There are Plugin device YouTube reviews that indicate more power/torque is available however the performance figures claimed are similar to stock so that begs a question - do the devices actually work at all or is it simply marketing BS plus bragging rights 'down the pub'?

rapport25 and Chris518 like this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4

My standard RS4 was clocked 3.3s to 60 at Rockingham.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

rapport25, q5man, D0C and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chris518

Chris518 Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4 quattro

Difficult to say but when I purchased my JF Automotive plug and play module I was emailed a dyno graph chart stating the hp and torque increase over stock car . I admit this isn't my car but I persume this it what they recorded with their RS4. At the end of the day these quoted increases are not much different to ABT RS4-4 car so what do they actually do as I have heard that the ecu hasn't been broken into yet.
    Chris

5. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

ship mate

Chris518 and terminator x like this.
  6. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Wow! I have seen 3.5s from stock.

What spec is yours?

Rappy:)

7. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

I thought 3.5s was the norm. Add a tuning box & it's closer to 3.0s.

No two cars are the same.

SQ5 vs SQ5 plus has the same 0-60. But the midrange shove & drivability is massive.

Rappy :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Chris518 and q5man like this.
  8. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Chris, you needed to get it fitted.

How many connections/ is it easy to fit?

Rappy :).

Chris518 likes this.
  9. cosmicblue

I need to get my personal plates re-made without the dealer logo/fitted properly square. SWMBO thinks having 'Red Rocket' on the plate would be appropriate...

Terminator 3.3s is properly quick! TBH I never get in mine and think 'this isn't quick enough', forget manual or S mode - even driven normally it's faster than 99.9% of other road cars.

10. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a Map or maybe the Racechip box. It feels normal now and not that quick anymore.

Maybe we have a problem :)

11. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

I like it :)

12. Avatar

13. terminator x

It is silly fast. Most noticeable to me vs previous RS3 is much much more torque. Tickle of the throttle and you're away!

TX.

Chris518 and q5man like this.
  14. Chris518

Hi Rappy
    All you have to do is unplug I think off the top of my head 3 sensor plugs connect the supplied harness into them connect to the positive supply and plug harness into module. Looks easy peasy
    Chris

15. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

That's good to hear Chris.

Sometimes access to the connectors can be a real pain!

Do they provide detailed instructions, including pictures & where to store the box?

Rappy.

16. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Hi TX,

Please provide spec of your car to hit 3.3s?

I'm sure you have the sports exhaust, so may make a small improvement.

I would imagine Panroof & DRC will slow you down. And pretty sure the 3.5s cars have both.

Rappy.

17. Chris518

Hi Rappy
    They emailed me the instructions with colour pictures and it is the right engine with close up pictures of the sensors as well . At first read it seems confusing but after a few reads and looking in your engine bay it seems fairly straight forward. As to siteing the module anywhere suitable out of the way.
    Chris

18. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Good, good.

How much did it cost & when do you plan to fit?

19. Chris518

It cost me £599 so not cheap as to fitting I honestly don't know as I don't get much time at the weekends and I am away from home all week

20. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Is your RS4 your daily driver, or w end toy?

21. Chris518

It's my daily drive if you can call it that as the wife doesn't drive only me my 44 tonne truck I drive more than my car

q5man likes this.
  22. terminator x

Sorry, yes correct standard car sports exhaust no pan roof or DRC. Has the carbon externals though which you'll hardly ever see cos of the price!

TX.

q5man likes this.
  23. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Thanks TX. That would explain the slightly quicker time to 60.

How do you find it with no panroof? Do you have the light colour headliner?

Whats it like without DRC?

As mentioned in a previous thread, I wanted the Carbon edition, but it was a Ltd run.

Rappy

q5man likes this.
  24. terminator x

Not a fan of panroof myself so don't care about it, didn't have it on the 3 either. Black headlining but silver trim inside so not too dark. Imho the car doesn't need DRC as it rides very well without it. In the 3 I had magride and comfort was too soft, dynamic too hard etc so I mostly always had it set up as auto steering and suspension, dynamic exhaust and engine.

Other options on my Spec - extended led, comfort and sound pack, folding mirrors (really regretted not having that on the 3), TPMS, 20" alloys, leccy seats, matrix headlights (in love with this), privacy glass.

TX.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Chris518, cosmicblue and q5man like this.
  25. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Thanks TX, thats a big help!

Not sure on TPMS, but your other options yes.

I found my previous to dark, hence went for the lighter headliner in my SQ5. To be honest yours looks quite light. It's just the other famy members getting travel sick.

I may save myself circa 4k.

Win,win :)

Rappy.

terminator x and q5man like this.
  26. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

I have always preferred dark headlinings as don’t show marks, never been concerned about being too dark, less now now I also have extended led.

Suppose pano is one those options people spec if they have had before, and less so if not.

27. cosmicblue

The Lunar silver headliner isn't even a factory option - the ones that have it were ordered 'Euro spec' before the UK spec was locked down by Audi UK as Press launch vehicles.

Strangely my prior ride, the RSQ3, also had Lunar headliner and at the time I bought the car it wouldn't have been my first choice at the time but it grew on me, with a pano roof the interior was bright. On new Audi's I've bought over the years I've never spec'd a pano roof - it's an expensive option that's rarely used with a reputation for being a source of squeaks - though it's not happened to me so far on the RSQ3 or this one.....touch wood.

Rappy - TPMS - if you opt for 20s then with the 30 profile tyres you'd never know you had a puncture until it was too late. I do note however compared with the prior ride the tyres are relatively inexpensive so must be a fairly common size (275/30 20 Y XL).

In the RS4's instance with the Lunar seats it makes it really 'contrasty' with the door interior pads in black:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Chris518 and terminator x like this.
  28. terminator x

@cosmicblue just seen your Spec in your signature! Easier to list out what you don't have ;)

TX.

q5man likes this.
  29. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

I have an RS5 Carbon Edition, not RS4 but I must be one of 3 people in the UK with one as all forums are dead!

Like TX, I had an RS3 with the mag ride and found it too hard in dynamic and too soft in comfort so a bit of a waste of time so I didn't spec it. I now find the standard suspension perfect when you're on it or around town but a little choppy when cruising.

@chris,
    JFAutomotive have just quoted me £699 for the box - Did you have a discount or they trying it on?
    I had an MTM Cantronic on the RS3 which worked when it wanted to but at £3500 I wont be buying one for this!

q5man likes this.
  30. cosmicblue

Thanks TX - yeah I'm disappointed that Audi UK missed so few options off the list - no carbon inside (I actually like the silver 'Race' trim) or out, no rear side airbags, no privacy glass, no heated wheel, no black pack - should I write and complain?

The spec you chose has most of the bit's you'd want with a sensible head on, the rest of it falls into the 'nice to have' bucket.

I have talked to Wrapart up in Birmingham about getting the silver bits on the front and rear and the black extensions in the side sills wrapped in Carbon vinyl, and the grille surround in gloss black - they quoted £500 and day's effort.

31. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

I've started using the matrix lights and find them incredible. Takes some getting used to that you're not going to blind oncoming traffic but it's amazing when a car is in front and the lighting goes out just on that particular area!

Also haven't got mag ride, albeit I don't have an RS4, but found it pointless on the RS3.

q5man and Chris518 like this.
  32. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

I have Matrix lights but have struggled to see them doing anything new. How do you activate them? Just flick the main beam on.

33. Avatar

34. terminator x

That will be fitted though vs Chris who just bought the box?

TX.

35. terminator x

One flick should bring up "auto" under the headlight symbol on the dash, after that they just dance around :sunglasses:

TX.

nervus and q5man like this.
  36. cosmicblue

Plus it needs to be properly dark, if there is any ambient light i.e. streetlighting your don't see anything - head out to the countryside.

nervus, terminator x and q5man like this.
  37. Chris518

Thanks TX
    Yeah your right £599 sent through the post or £699 if you have it fitted down in Kent but they also put it on the dyno. Would probably cost me 100 notes in fuel going down and back and it isn't too difficult a job doing it yourself.
    Chris

nervus and q5man like this.
  38. q5man

If it is anything like my DTUK tuning box, VERY straightforward to fit to the 3 sensors (boost, camshaft & intake). It will take some time initially as you ensure correct orientation and location etc, but then takes literally 5 mins.

One warning - don’t be an idiot like me and not pull in all slack, as ended up having to purchase a new harness due to one cable getting too close to manifold....grr.

nervus likes this.
  39. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

As terminator says, push the stalk back and it should have auto under the blue light.

nervus likes this.
  40. Chris518

Thanks for the tip TX. The kit came with a load of cable ties so I will use them.
    Chris

41. q5man

Harsh, it was me
    Worth getting yourself Velcro ties, as that way:

A) you can re-use.
    B) you can get them off easily if car goes into Audi without needing cable cutter.

terminator x likes this.
  42. Chris518

Even better idea. The name of the game is to leave zero visible trace to keep that warranty protected as you never know and 3 years protection on the components could save you a bundle of cash.
    Chris

nervus likes this.