B5 RS4 rattling noise

Ash92

Reaction score
Evening all
After some help if any could help been to look at a rs4 b5 over the weekend it looks in great condition but when we started it there was a loud rattle noise sounded like a chain rattle. As you look at it on the right hand side.
Any help would be great as I would love to purchase it

How obvious was the rattle? Could be a tensioner on the way out, which could have done damage to the engine if not just thrown out the timing. Best case is that it's just the chain needing replaced, worst case is cam, tensioner, valves etc etc which could get very expensive very quickly.

It was pretty obvious noise wasn't going awayiI don't want to risk buying if it's going to cost to much don't mind replacing the chain any one done this on there's is it an easy job

I don't think it's a very complicated process, but only if you know what you're doing. It's no the kind of thing you should try to give a go if you know what I mean. You could get a lot wrong and cause complete engine failure if done wrong. I'd ask the seller to get it sorted, or take it somewhere for a quote and work that in to the price before closing the deal.