RS4 grill finally on the car!

ultramodz

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE
Reaction score
Website
www.mattstevens.co.uk
My friend and I drove over to Pit Start last night, which is a self-service garage with plenty of space, tools, jacks & lifts to use... it's £10 per hour to rent a bay (£20 per hour with a lift) and we managed to do the whole job in 2hrs 40mins.

I decided since we had a few trolley jacks to hand, it'd be easier to take the front wheels off to gain access to the bolts behind the wheel arch liner. So off they came & after a bit of persuasion, the bumper followed suit & was off the car.

I had already taken off the matt silver surround from the RS4 grill as it had light damage (got it via the classifieds on here) and I wanted the chrome surround to match the theme of my car. As I wasn't going to use this part, I didn't really mind snapping the tabs holding it on, but when it came to removing the chrome surround from my S-Line grill, I tried not to break them all, which took a fair bit of careful prising and two of us making sure the ones I'd released didn't just snap back into their locating positions. Needless to say one or two stubborn ones lost the fight with the screwdriver.

Then I offered up the surround to the RS4 mesh section & clipped it into place.

Finally, the bumper went back on, followed by the wheels, and the trolley jacks removed. I can't actually get a trolley jack under my car so I have to use the car's own jack to raise it enough to get the trolley jack under it, then when lowering it down, I have to extend the small jack up to meet the chassis & gently lower it on to this before then lowering the car down on that once the trolley jack is out from under the car... bit of a long winded process!

Anyway, here's the grill before it went on - you can just see the slight dent on the surround (by the radio):

rs4grill.jpg

...and here's a crap iPhone pic of the results:

rs4grill-fitted.jpg

that looks great mate, can i ask? i have an a4 2.0 tdi sline, and am just wondering if that is a genuine rs4 grill? and if so is your car also an sline? any idea on the cost aswel? your help would be much appreciated! :)

cheers

The RS4 grill fits on the S-Line bumpers, however, the grill comes with the brushed aluminium surround which looks odd when your car has chrome trim. Taking it off isn't a problem, putting your current one is because the chrome trim is plastic and the tabs are prone to snapping.

Cost of an RS4 grill is around the £180 mark.

As above - the surround wasn't designed to come off by the looks of it, so you are likely to break at least a few of the tabs. However, I managed to carefully part the two sections without breaking more than a couple of tabs, but it does require some patience & I had a mate holding the two sections apart to stop them snapping back into place.

There are about 30 or so tabs around the perimeter of the surround on both the inner and outer edges. Saying that, you could bond the two items together if you needed to do so - it's not like the surround is supporting anything.

To answer your questions, yes mine is an S-Line & the cost was £80 as the RS4 grill had a slightly damaged surround - got it from a guy on here.

can the rs4 grill be got with black glossy surround??

I understand you can purchase the black optics surround separately. Around a tenner I think.

ok gonna get shot for this one, but stupid question what is the difference between the rs4 grill and the s-line grill?? :)

The S-Line grill is anthracite in colour and has the square mesh. The RS4 grille is black and honeycomb. Most people would think it madness to want to swap the grille but there are those of us that are weird :D

Have you cut the lugs off the middle of the splitter completely there?

agree bud it looks much better with the rs grill, but £150+ is a lot of cash for honeycomb mesh rather than square.

is it not the done thing to do to put the s-line badge back on the rs grill, or do you prefer the clean look?

oh also not sure if it matters but the first pic has you reg plate non-photoshoped :)

The photos helped me understand that better.

I see what the fuss is about now.

I think I'll stick to the normal grill and leave the £100+ in my wallet for a rainy day.

Crazy guys! lol

Haha fair play Fahim!

Nu-Tec, yeah I know the plate's not edited out on that pic :) I didn't put the S-Line badge back on as it's fixed to the grill in a different way from the RS4 badge. The S-Line grill has a small flat area built in to it for the badge to sit on. Also, I like the clean look and symmetry of the front end.

dutty_112 - I didn't cut them off completely. I removed about an inch or so & then used long self-tapping screws to fix them to the bumper. There about 20 or so smaller screws holding it on elsewhere.