RS4 gear shifter

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Much more modern looking than the old fashioned stick in the RS3 - might anyone here know if it could be retrofitted into the RS3??

Same stick as all auto A/S 4/5 I think. It can be used to rest your hand on too. Very nice.

Any pictures ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the shifter we have in our Q7. To be honest, I prefer the one in the RS3.

I also don’t understand the fascination with new key style found in the Q7, A4, A5, etc...apart from the flip out key (which is old school) the feel of the old key is actually nicer and it is slightly more compact.

Same stick as all auto A/S 4/5 I think. It can be used to rest your hand on too. Very nice.
Yes - it is the standard Audi gear switch that is across the board . There are some on ebay at not a bad price - I might buy one just to experiment with, but I am pretty sure it will not work. Even if I could get the switch to interface with the existing, there is the problem of positioning on the A3 console.

11166 st0640 087

Reactions: JamesBaby
Yes - it is the standard Audi gear switch that is across the board . There are some on ebay at not a bad price - I might buy one just to experiment with, but I am pretty sure it will not work. Even if I could get the switch to interface with the existing, there is the problem of positioning on the A3 console.

View attachment 144887

I doubt it would work and of course the switches for Nav etc are behind the stick on the RS3 which rather defeats the point of resting your hand on it!

View attachment 144887

It wouldn’t work, the RS3 lever physically moves and slots into a gear but this lever is on a pivot and always springs back, totally different concept and one I don’t think our famous Aoon would even attempt.

The one in the rs3 looks much better. That is one of the things I didn’t like when they fitted it in the r8 and other more recent models, to me it just doesn’t look good in the car. Must be designed by the same guy designing the Audi alloys for the new models.

Looks like an old mans gear stick to me, RS3 standard one much nicer imho.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: l4oth and DW81
Thought I was alone on this one TX great minds think alike :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Terminator x
Agree there... RS3 gear stick all day long!

Reactions: Jonny B and DW81
Very interesting reading opinions. They fall exactly into a study that Mercedes made some years back on the subject: With all their gearboxes (and most others now) being electronic change, there is naturally no need for a traditional gear lever, so they obviously look at the economics and quickly work out that all that is required is a simple swich that will put the box into R, N/P and D. They found very interestingly that those driving sedate and high end saloons/estates were quite happy to either do without a gear shifter, or have just a token one. Whereas those with a more sporty outlook on driving did not want to lose a 'proper looking' gear lever. More surprising though, very little opposition to losing the good old fashioned handrake.

As it happens, the new style Audi shifter will not work in the A3 now as it is too low - with the gear leaver as it is now, it is a comfortable position to rest on the arm rest and hold the gear knob. Any change will cause uncomfort in the arm.

Reactions: DW81