RS4 FBSW retrofit coding help.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening chaps,
Looking for some info on the subject of retro fitting an RS4 B7 FBSW into my A4.
Not so much the fitting that's fine , moreso the coding in , well if it needs any really.
There was a thread on this forum many moons ago that covered this very subject but no longer seems to be available.
Any help and info would be greatfully received as i'm looking to fit it tomorrow if possible.

rob

Have you got the correct modules to support steering wheel I had to have a module changed on mine before I could use all my functions and I think the lad had to code it in too but not sure.
Good luck Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Not sure what modules are required , what wheel did you change from.

I had bog standard wheel with no radio controls on upgraded a module to fit cruise but had to change module again to be compatible with new steering wheel.

Ah ,ok.
I have the multifunction one as standard , just had a look at the parts diagram and nothing appears to different between the one I have and the rs4 one as such , same air bag loom etc , so assuming it may just be plug and play for the most part.
I don't have cruise so probably another problem less to deal with.
thanks for the info Paul.

Sounds like it will be just plug and play then for you hopefully easy fit.
Good luck

Yep hopefully it will be paul , I have just found another similar thread on the rs4 b7 forum, similar situation really.
Owner wishes to go from the round fbsw on his rs4 to the fbsw , seems its a straight swap over as the coding is the same just the shape is different.
As the rs4 round wheel is a plug and play fit into the A4 B7 with a multifunction setup , safe to say the fbsw wheel be the same, well hopefully.
If anyone else knows otherwise, please reply with some info before I ruin it all tomorrow.

cheers
rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

Just checked a scan I did earlier - for reference, the steering wheel control module on mine is 8E0953549T which appears to be exclusive to the RS4.
Might be worth checking what yours is as I think the standard A4 module doesn't have the 'T' on the end.

ta
Mike

Thanks Mike.
I'll do a vcds scan in the morning to check.
From what I have just been reading, the round wheel on b7 rs4's uses the same function and coding as the multifunction wheel I have fitted , so that would just swap over, but the fbsw rs4 wheel will just swap over on the rs4's , so it maybe possible it will just swap over on my a4 , be nice if it did but my lucks not that good.
thanks for the info mike.

rob

No probs Rob..

just post up if there's anything else I can check for ya!

EDIT - just checked and the MFSW and FBSW are coded differently on the RS4 steering wheel module.

Mike

I'm Curious as to the difference between the two modules, maybe its the way the buttons work , which may not be a major issue as I only use volume and track change, I don't have cruise or BT fitted.

Have you got the correct modules to support steering wheel I had to have a module changed on mine before I could use all my functions and I think the lad had to code it in too but not sure.
Good luck Rob

Hi paul, may i ask what part number module have you now with your rs4 wheel?

I think it may be a suck it and see situation lol, well fit it and see what happens....what's the worse that can happen , the air bag goes off :wtf::haha:

rob

I’m not sure rob after I did the cruise I got someone else to do steering wheel and radio connection if I get chance tomorrow I’ll vag com it and try get module number but I’m just in middle of a few upgrades so pretty busy.

Does the RS4 have a sport button on the fbsw.which isn't on other A4?could explain different module part number?

Yes it does Chris, on reflection I think it will just not get all the functions as its not an rs4 , plus I don't have BT or cruise and use a pioneer Headunit.
as long as its not an airbag issue and I get my volume ,track search function I will be happy.
Its not so much the buttons ,I just love the style and feel of this wheel.

rob

I’m not sure rob after I did the cruise I got someone else to do steering wheel and radio connection if I get chance tomorrow I’ll vag com it and try get module number but I’m just in middle of a few upgrades so pretty busy.

no probs paul.:icon thumright:

Evening chaps,
Looking for some info on the subject of retro fitting an RS4 B7 FBSW into my A4.
Not so much the fitting that's fine , moreso the coding in , well if it needs any really.
There was a thread on this forum many moons ago that covered this very subject but no longer seems to be available.
Any help and info would be greatfully received as i'm looking to fit it tomorrow if possible.

rob
Does the pop up window in the coding tab of vcds offer any suggestions Rob? The rs4 wheel only supports volume and shuffle doesn't it? Surely if you don't have sds it shouldn't need different coding, especially if the airbag is plug and play and the modules are the same. Just a thought

I've not run vcds yet Alex, doing it this morning.
The standard rs4 wheel has the same function buttons as the a4 multi function , the flat bottom is different though.
The module is the key part but then I doubt the rs4 one would be any better as the electronic are different that it controls.
I think my module will be fine as its based on my A4 and i'll just get the basic control function I get now , maybe if I had BT and an oem head unit things maybe different.
i'm expecting the wheel today so will just wack it on a see what occurs..lol

cheers
rob

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
I've not run vcds yet Alex, doing it this morning.
The standard rs4 wheel has the same function buttons as the a4 multi function , the flat bottom is different though.
The module is the key part but then I doubt the rs4 one would be any better as the electronic are different that it controls.
I think my module will be fine as its based on my A4 and i'll just get the basic control function I get now , maybe if I had BT and an oem head unit things maybe different.
i'm expecting the wheel today so will just wack it on a see what occurs..lol

cheers
rob

Morning rob
My module number is 8E0 953 549 Q if that’s any help
Good luck Paul

Found this on ross tech which seems to identify modules as you guys have noted.

Requirements
Steering Column Control Module
There are 3 types of steering column control modules, only 2 of them support cruise control.

• Lowline
    • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke)
    • Supported Features: Trip Computer (does NOT support Cruise Control!)
    • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-F 8E0-953-549-S
  • Midline
    • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
    • Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control
    • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-L, 8E0-953-549-N
  • Highline
    • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
    • Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control, Steering Wheel Heating
    • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-M, 8E0-953-549-P, 8E0-953-549-Q, 8E0-953-549-R

Note: When replacing the steering column control module you may need to learn the vehicle identification number (VIN).

Installation & Wiring
In general the whole retrofit is just plug and play except that one wire needs to be added.

• Wire T16a/5 from steering column control module to engine control module (see wiring diagram specific your particular car/engine).
  • Install cruise control capable lever (see parts catalog/repair manual).

Morning rob
My module number is 8E0 953 549 Q if that’s any help
Good luck Paul

Hi Paul - out of interest, can you post the coding for this module please?

ta

Mike

Hi Paul - out of interest, can you post the coding for this module please?

ta

Mike

Hi Mike
I never coded this I got someone else to do it I hate Airbags
Paul

Hi mike
No sorry no recent scans and battery is off and cars in bits few upgrades before spring.
Just did a quick scan this morning to get module number for rob.
Thanks Paul

Well received the wheel lunch time today but been to busy to scan or mess around with things today, will pickup with things tomorrow now when I have more time.
Nice piece of kit aswell, still not sure it was worth the money, and as they say, you cant take money with you when you die so may aswell use it whilst I can...:icon thumright:

will catch up with you chaps tomorrow.

cheers
rob

Hi mike
No sorry no recent scans and battery is off and cars in bits few upgrades before spring.
Just did a quick scan this morning to get module number for rob.
Thanks Paul

No worries - cheers Paul.

Mike

I've just got the standard MFSW like yourself.
Contemplated fitting a FBSW but other things took priority...
Might look into a TTRS wheel or a custom made one in the future - I'm quite attached to the MF buttons now so don't really want to lose them..

Mike

I've just got the standard MFSW like yourself.
Contemplated fitting a FBSW but other things took priority...
Might look into a TTRS wheel or a custom made one in the future - I'm quite attached to the MF buttons now so don't really want to lose them..

Mike

I found a company on google that re trim and do custom work on steering wheels. The quality looks great, they quoted me £130 to retrim my MFSW but worth the money if the work is top notch. They can also provide you with a spare if needed.
I think the website is Royal steering wheels.com if your interested.

I found a company on google that re trim and do custom work on steering wheels. The quality looks great, they quoted me £130 to retrim my MFSW but worth the money if the work is top notch. They can also provide you with a spare if needed.
I think the website is Royal steering wheels.com if your interested.

Cheers Alex - yep, Royal get good reviews so might contact them in the future :icon thumright:

Thanks
Mike

I was somewhat carried away with the recaro project today so missed out fitting the FBSW, will pickup with fitting tomorrow now.

Now found the guy sold me the wheel without the screw covers, you just cant rely on anyone these days .

IMG 1787

Well its in and looks nice but doesn't work at all.
I'm going to run vcds later and see what is showing .
What I have found it that the guy I bought it off ripped me off frankly.
The wheel it great, the air bag is not the one that goes with it though.
the wheel is dated 2006 , the air bag is dated 2004 so clearly something amiss there, also it had been tampered with .
The two small plugs that are on the air bag harness had been removed from the air bag itself as the locking tab on one was missing, and only one plug to connect the air bag to the control module
No fly lead present from the air bag loom to the steering wheel controls.

so no screw covers , wrong air bg and lead, wrapped up like a kipper.....i'll be having words with the guy very shortly and they wont be pleasant frankly.

rob

Theres nothing worse than being ripped off by sellers, especially when your a genuine person yourself. Ive been there with an rnse in the past, im still £150 down. Did the multi function controls plug in as normal?

Its really wound me up Alex, it was a lot of cash to be honest only for it to be less than the item i was assured i was getting.
The wheel itself is rather nice, feels nice and smooth, very light to use , just a shame it was missing parts and didnt have the correct bits.
Its fitted but none of the buttons work, i wasn't really expecting them all to work but at least the volume would have been nice.
The air bag is older than the wheel but does appear to be fine, the airbag loom is wrong and has no means connecting the steering wheel control buttons to the steering module, the wheel has the plug but the loom does not have the fly lead to plug into it.
I have used the loom from my mfsw for now as it does have the lead but i suspect the cable pinout's are different.
I ran vcds this evening and no error showing at all , tried recoding it with learning but no change as yet.

It is a shame really as its spoilt what was going to be a nice upgrade, at least the the recaro's project has turned out well, very well indeedy.

rob

This is the loom that came with the wheel, its also 2 years older than the wheel's date, its condition doesn't even match that of the wheel itself.
I may just do some wiring checks on my s-line wheel to see which wires are relavant to which functions then rewire the plug on the s-line loom to suit, that way at least I may get a couple of functions.
IMG 1797

Reactions: AvantAlexB7