RS4 disc pads - Ceramic pads on steel discs?

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Have been out in the garage in the evenings polishing the wheels of the RS and I've noticed that the front brake discs (steel) have negligible wear (this car is ex Audi UK p=Press with 6,000 undoubtedly hard miles on it), the disc rotors however are almost mirror polished with almost no wear lip on the edges of the disc.

I ran the last RSQ3 on EBC ceramic compound pads and that produced the same effect - super shiny discs, no disc wear - with outstanding performance. All the Audi cars I've had so far have had aggressively abrasive pad compounds that ripped the surface of the discs up - by the 2nd services the discs needed replacement.

I wonder if Audi have changed policy.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Have been out in the garage in the evenings polishing the wheels of the RS and I've noticed that the front brake discs (steel) have negligible wear (this car is ex Audi UK p=Press with 6,000 undoubtedly hard miles on it), the disc rotors however are almost mirror polished with almost no wear lip on the edges of the disc.

I ran the last RSQ3 on EBC ceramic compound pads and that produced the same effect - super shiny discs, no disc wear - with outstanding performance. All the Audi cars I've had so far have had aggressively abrasive pad compounds that ripped the surface of the discs up - by the 2nd services the discs needed replacement.

I wonder if Audi have changed policy.

Did you have any brake squeal on the ceramic EBC's? I'm keen on these now that you mention the lack of disc wear/dust. But thought ceramic needs heating up before it's helpful? Was looking at Yellow stuff from EBC originally.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBCs - no break squeal at all with those pads and noticeably more bite than the standard items, even when cold. The B8 versions are listed I think, EBC told me that the B9 pads are around 6 months away.

I can agree about the EBC yellow stuff brake pads. I had them on my Impreza STI with the Brembo calipers and like you said excellent bite from cold hardly any disc wear and low dust output

I can agree about the EBC yellow stuff brake pads. I had them on my Impreza STI with the Brembo calipers and like you said excellent bite from cold hardly any disc wear and low dust output

Yeah this is the route I'm gonna go down then. The dust off these B8 pads is insane.

The front B9 RS4 calipers are 6 pot efforts (according to the Audi launch pack material I have) and look similar to the S4 items for which YellowStuffs are already available for - maybe they are not the same though cos' the EBC man told me that it would be 6 months before the RS4 versions were available...

The front B9 RS4 calipers are 6 pot efforts (according to the Audi launch pack material I have) and look similar to the S4 items for which YellowStuffs are already available for - maybe they are not the same though cos' the EBC man told me that it would be 6 months before the RS4 versions were available...

Not get big brake kit for it yet? suppose it is a fairly new car. Some good things might come from ECS in time in the states. They always really support the S4. Not as much hardware though.