Rs4/5 wavy brake disc options

Audiforlife

Reaction score
I've recently purchased an a4 b8.5 avant in tdi form, previous owner has fitted what I believe are rs4 or rs5 wavy brake discs with the 8 pot calipers upfront.
What are my options for replacement discs?
Tps are nearly 1200 for a pair of fronts, and I've found a few pairs of "genuine" fronts on ebay for around the 800 mark.
Obviously with them being fitted to a tdi 170 they are not going to get the abuse of a rs4/5.

What are my options for replacement discs? Not bothered about being wavy or hi performance.

My plan was to remove and sell the brake setup and fit standard brakes all round. But I think they would look lost behind the 20inch wheels

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reyland are good there is also on eBay a guy called RB rotors. Or RB Motorsport rotors and he makes it all to order. He has a website too check it out. I'm considering upgrading my brakes on my b7 rs4 but he also does standard which might suit your needs. Worth a look, josh

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audiforlife and B7/RS4
Get your Currrent Discs Skimmed and Fit New Pads, The New Pads will compensate for any Runout from the Skim.... As you said, Its a 170Tdi and want Get the same treatment a Rs4/5 Might...

Reactions: 45bvtc
Get your Currrent Discs Skimmed and Fit New Pads, The New Pads will compensate for any Runout from the Skim.... As you said, Its a 170Tdi and want Get the same treatment a Rs4/5 Might...
I was thinking about that, but isn't there a ridiculous minimum thickness on these discs? Something like 1mm per side?

I'll get a wheel off soon and measure them up

New pads were fitted about 2 weeks ago before I bought the car.

Heard good things about redstuff pads to, so will look into that also. Will hopefully keep the brake dust down as well, as whatever has been fitted cause terrible dust!

Not 100% sure TBH,Just a 2 min search n Fleabay. They look the part. As for quality if you aren't taking the car to the track I wouldn't worry. Your never really going to tax the braking system with the power of the car .

Reactions: Rab.
I was thinking about that, but isn't there a ridiculous minimum thickness on these discs? Something like 1mm per side?

I'll get a wheel off soon and measure them up

New pads were fitted about 2 weeks ago before I bought the car.

Heard good things about redstuff pads to, so will look into that also. Will hopefully keep the brake dust down as well, as whatever has been fitted cause terrible dust!

A skim woud take a Fraction off a MM off , but it all depends if they've been skimmed before , And what current Thickness is... There is alot of Travel on a Caliper with new Pads , If u were planning using it on a Track then yes new Discs, But just Normal use id think it would be ok, These tolarances are for a V8 pushing 450bhp and more weight... Not a 170bhp Tdi ...

Reactions: michael A
I'd bang a set of EBC disks onto it with red stuff pads. Make sure to get sensor wire too though as they don't come with it. I got these for my A6. Must say when got into my RS4 I'd say they was just as good. Of course the A6 was only 300bhp too so not an exact like for like but they was one of best things I did to that A6

I'd bang a set of EBC disks onto it with red stuff pads. Make sure to get sensor wire too though as they don't come with it. I got these for my A6. Must say when got into my RS4 I'd say they was just as good. Of course the A6 was only 300bhp too so not an exact like for like but they was one of best things I did to that A6
I had a look at the ebc discs and they're still over 800 quid a pair. Mine is only a 2.0 tdi so they are not going to be pushed hard. I have come across these on the bay cheapest pair I've found so far.
And I've heard good things about ebc redstuff pads they keep the brake dust down and also they are known to be less aggressive to the discs so should last longer!
f10878116b5e79d87ace54f3d7a3ef74.jpg

I'm quite shocked tbh someone has put RS4 brakes into it. Personally I'd Rio em all off including calipers sell for stupid money but some new calipers with some EBC disks as will be like £200 then. I'm surprised you can even get the brakes warm on it tbh. Just seems odd someone did that must have cost a fortune.

The car has rs4 everything, brakes full interior, full front end, 20 inch v spokes the lot. Thats what my plan was to sell the brakes, but it will look stupid with them behind the 20s

Swap the 20s too To 18 or 19 you will find it will handle better too. I've got 20s on my RS and looking to move down to 19. I'm a big believer in you don't need big everything you need the right size everything to make the car handle and perform at its best. Interior and front end can be left alone. What's your plans with it. Do you bimble around or do you like to give it some and go to track/drag.
Do you have a pic at all

Nice , same colour as mine. Don't worry Im not one for taking pics too. Have you had it long. I think if drop to 19s will be fine on normal brakes. If get the EBC, when I had my A6 I think I paid like £300 for set of front disks with red stuff pads. Of course I did not need to change calipers though. If sell the ones you got get normal ones and will still have change spare to spend on something else you want. Just my personal opinion though. Keep us posted how you get on

Attachments

• 1_IMG_20210124_140030717.jpg
    1_IMG_20210124_140030717.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
Reactions: Audiforlife