RS3????

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, you may or may not know that I'm in Afghanistan right now and have been in he desert for the last month so am a bit out of the loop on the car news front. Well anyway a mate sent me a copy of auto express (and Nuts with Gemma Atkinson in it grrrr) and at the back, on the list of future models, it says "Audi RS3 - Autumn" not Autumn 08 but this year! Hav I missed a big bit of news???

By the way I can't go through all the past month's threads as there's a tme limit on internet use.

Hope you're all well, I miss my car lots :crying:

Cheers

There is no expected arrival only speculation. But with a facelift planned for the A3, who knows. They produced the original RS4 on the last production year...

I've noticed some discrepancies in those release dates at the back of auto express. For about a year they were showing the A3 Convertible as Summer 2007 while articles at the front of the magazine were saying it was due in spring 2008.

It would appear that they don't update the back bit regularly. Anything I've been hearing from Audi is that there won't be an RS3.

There are still almost six weeks of Autumn left, so you never know!

i've heard nothing re this. However, as previous posts mention, I did see, what I believe to be an RS3 in boxburg, germany, when i was testing the R8. it was a concept car, and that's about it to be honest. RS3 would have such a limited market....really don't think they'll build it :(
However, S3 cab coming out, and S3 5 door next year, so you never know. It would have to be after RS6 production mind, if they do go ahead, as Audi only ever build one RS at any given time. fingers crossed eh

S3 5 Door.

Can i be 3rd on the list? :)

Definitely next year...my dealer showed me a picture the other day on an Audi circular.

aliaudi said:
I did see, what I believe to be an RS3 in boxburg, germany

Was that a normal dealership? Where abouts is Boxburg? I put it into multimap and got about 12 boxbergs!

If Quattro Gmbh maintain their historical view of creating only one RS model at a time, then the RS3 is a very long way away. Next car to come from them has already been confirmed as the RS6. After that, its more likely that there will be an RS5 (way more marketable than the RS3).

If there ever is an RS3, I don't think we'll see it before 2011.

ChriS3 said:
If Quattro Gmbh maintain their historical view of creating only one RS model at a time, then the RS3 is a very long way away. Next car to come from them has already been confirmed as the RS6. After that, its more likely that there will be an RS5 (way more marketable than the RS3).

If there ever is an RS3, I don't think we'll see it before 2011.

You're right about the time frame but I think an RS3 would sell a hell of a lot better than an RS5. The best rivals are the M3 and M5 and Audi have them covered already. Obviously an RS5 will be a rival to the M6 but is it a big enough seller to warrant the production costs? Or would sticking a turboed V6 in an S3 shell be cheaper?

staz1000 said:
You're right about the time frame but I think an RS3 would sell a hell of a lot better than an RS5. The best rivals are the M3 and M5 and Audi have them covered already. Obviously an RS5 will be a rival to the M6 but is it a big enough seller to warrant the production costs? Or would sticking a turboed V6 in an S3 shell be cheaper?

I don't actually think the RS3 would sell well at all. Sure there's lots of people that would want one, but I can't see many buying one as it would end up costing close to £40k based on current model prices. For that money you could have a top notch second-hand RS4/5, and they will always be better cars IMO.

If I get rid of my RS4 in three years like I plan to, then I'd like to think there's an RS5 waiting for me to step into. If not, V10 R8 :)