RS3.....worth the premium over the S3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the veeeight bashing on here, I'm surprised veeeight has any time to actually drive a car lol :tearsofjoy:

Best comment in the whole thread, sorry guys but Veeeight owned you there....... !

Reactions: PanamaS3, Jassyo06, veeeight and 1 other person
Not just that but judging by the flex and springboard like vibration of the four bar link hinge it'll shake off any water droplets. Needs some power struts and damping device to make production.

Hells bells. How do they do it. Give'm a couple of years, those chaps at Audi might make a car that's good to drive. :highly amused:

Reactions: veeeight, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
I for one am sure that veeeight does enjoy his cars and keyboard in that order and for me has added to a most enjoyable thread and here goes with post #683, better be quick... :friends:

Reactions: veeeight
Its been a long thread, so, I will ask the following, please answer with a maximum of 3 points only for each question:

1. What do you think is good about the RS3?
2. What are its advantages of the RS3 over the S3
3. Disadvantages compared to S3
4. What will end first, this thread or 2015

Rules: you are not allowed to mention 'on a track' or anything about the Golf R ( :pileofpoop: like anyone will actually stick to these.)

Reactions: PanamaS3, 45bvtc, Simon L and 2 others
1. Looks, engine, noise.
2. There is an R before the S, power, handling. List goes on..........
3. Cost. Hmmmmm that's it
4. Definitely 2015

Reactions: 45bvtc, Nimbus265 and Schuey
1. Wow factor, performance, noise
2. Power
3. Standard equipment is not that different
4. Yep definitely 2015

Reactions: 45bvtc
1, That 5Cylinder Engine Burble & Raw Power!

2, Again, that 5Pot, Handles alot better & it'll Hold its Value alotmore!

3, They dont currently Offer it in a Saloon!

4, 2015 :-D

Last edited:
1. Engine, exclusivity, versatility

2. Power, alacantra door linings with mono-pur, and it's a RS

3. Initial cost, model specific spares likely to cost more than S, seems to divide opinion

4. 2016!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Given Mr 8's rudeness about lefties on a post on the 8v thread I can only surmise like Dave he is a Third Reich supporter allegedly.

There you go again.

Off Topic and personal attacks. Anyone who believes in choice, or doesn't agree with you, must be a Nazi?

Honestly, you just can't help yourself, can you.

(Has PA stepped back into the room?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and DAYTONA 500
1.Will tell you on friday going into glasgow audi at 10 am for a good test drive.
2.Wrong bodyshell should have made it in a saloon guise
3. NOT.Looks,l could spec a S3 SB In Exclusive colour with magride 19"s and every option available..with a few grand change over the cheapest USED RS3 on the market think its £43,600.
4.sure toooooooo be 2015

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
1.Everything.
2.Exclusivity.
3. Disgruntled S3 drivers/owners slagging it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
1.Everything.
2.Exclusivity.
3.S3 drivers/owners slagging it off.

3.Not true..i could easily get one if l wanted...not once have l slagged off the RS3,I have every respect for the car and the people who have one

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
3.Not true..i could easily get one if l wanted...not once have l slagged off the RS3,I have every respect for the car and the people who have one
Im gonna rephrase my answer to number 3.

Reactions: T-800
1.Everything.
2.Exclusivity.
3. Disgruntled S3 drivers/owners slagging it off.

Reactions: 45bvtc, T-800, Simon L and 2 others
1. The noise is sublime
2. Power
3. Not a quantum leap over S3 in the styling department (hope this will be addressed with the saloon, but have my doubts tbh!)
4. I think the world might end before this thread!! lol

Reactions: 45bvtc, mfl, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
1. Reduced lag / noise (although this is neither a V6 or a V8, so hardly groundbreaking) / steering wheel I love.
2. If you own one, have ordered one, or are considering ordering one you are superior in every way to those that don't, haven't, aren't.
3. Looks / £10k additional cost (that gives nowhere near that value in improvements), and an increased sense of defensiveness towards that expensive product, therefore scrambling around to justify it at every possible avenue.
4. Global warming will end before this thread.

Reactions: keyser and 45bvtc
Oh christ, here we go again............. ;)

You don't deliver pizzas for one of those chains that guarantees moneyback if you don't deliver in 30 mins do you V8? ;)

lol this made me chuckle.. Can't believe this threads still banging on...

1. G
2. O
3. L
4. F
R

..........very nice work again Martin (I see what you did there!)

....and who could possibly disagree with your assessment? ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc and Martinbanshee
Given Mr 8's rudeness about lefties on a post on the 8v thread I can only surmise like Dave he is a Third Reich supporter allegedly.
Right, this is going to far ( allegedly or otherwise). There is a point when you go past banter and make it personal and you dangerously close to that. I don't know what your problem with Dave or v8 is, but it stops now. You have pm available to you, please use it. I don't expect to come back on this thread, but mark my words, anymore comments like that again and I will and it won't just be a thread closure.

Reactions: perazzi, keyser, DAYTONA 500 and 6 others
Back on topic as requested, people getting personal is nonsense and sums up some people's emotional involvement.................

As a cash buyer 3dr manual S3 driver the difference isn't big enough for me and I would never buy a 5dr DSG A3.
France is getting a saloon RS3 according to my local dealer so I will go look as it will be a nice looking motor, however as a non family man with a few other vehicles for other purposes when you start talking £45k+ for a 5dr small family car albeit sooped up quite a bit you are now mixing it with more focused driving machines.
RS3s aren't exclusive (anybody with the money can buy one tomorrow and interestingly in France a number of dealers have new RS3s for immediate delivery) and not all S3 owners are disgruntled, I was happy to buy the S3 as a good value commuter car but the RS3 is a step up price wise for a relatively small step change dynamically.

However, if I was in the market of a 5dr auto(ish) subtle road rocket then yes I could be tempted by the start up noise alone :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4K and 45bvtc
I've watched this thread with much mirth, amusement and some surprise.

Reverting to the original question (as per thread title): According to Jethro Bovingdon, no it isn't. For £10-15k price premium you don't get £10-15k more experience. They are his words (to me directly) not mine, and FWIW I'd have loved an RS. Couldn't justify stretching my budget to breaking point and couldn't wait to upgrade from my 8P.

Still saw a grey one on Friday with body-coloured everything and loved it though...

Reactions: Simon L, PanamaS3, T-800 and 2 others
Its been a long thread, so, I will ask the following, please answer with a maximum of 3 points only for each question:

Ahem... :whip: BACK to the question:

1) Engine and gearbox, fast road ability, the sound, and the anonymity an 8P RS3 affords

2) Real world everyday ability/flexibility of the 5-pot engine and 7-speed DSG in all its operating modes, and the sound; 4-years on and the damn thing still has me shaking...

3) No disadvantages, both cars are superb it's just that the RS3 is better in my view and if it wasn't then I'd have an S3 (and I do but it looks like a TT roadster)

4) 2015, no doubt at all and if I'm wrong I too may have to join the "I am a very pretty girl club"

And if I might add 2-points:

1) 4-years on, would I buy an RS3 again? YES, no doubt! There is NOT a single Audi car available today and I've driven most sympathetically and in anger that I'd swap BLUEY for, period, and

2) my thanks to everyone here for making this an amazingly enjoyable thread... :salute:

Reactions: 4K, monopole, DAYTONA 500 and 4 others

1. What do you think is good about the RS3?
2. What are its advantages of the RS3 over the S3
3. Disadvantages compared to S3
4. What will end first, this thread or 2015

Rules: you are not allowed to mention 'on a track' or anything about the Golf R ( :pileofpoop: like anyone will actually stick to these.)

[Caveat: I have never driven the RS3 but I know everything there is to know about it from reading this thread :)]

1. Engine, exhaust sound
2. Engine, exhaust sound, greater performance tune-ability
3. Not currently in sedan form, not particularly "special" in/out other than engine/sound, heavier
4. The world will end first

I think if the 2016 face lifted sedan version were to inherit some "haunches" (wider arches), better wheel options, improved steering/handling to focus the car and make it stand out more as an 'RS' then the most common negatives will be gone and not many would care about any big interior changes...and most would find a way to justify the price premium....would love to see our wives/better halves on here arguing for/against that one! :) ......s**t! perhaps they already are!?!....v8? is that you honey???!! :)

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Jassyo06 and Simon L
I would think this thread could have been solved very easily, people who bought the RS3 think it is worth the premium, people who bought the S3 either can't afford the RS3 or don't think it's worth it.
So to sum up the ops question, the RS3 owners do the S3 owners don't. There is no right or wrong answer because everything about cars are subjective.

Reactions: 4K and DAYTONA 500
What some people tend to forget is the fact that the RS3 is only £5k more than an S3 equipped with the same spec:

(sportback / s-tronic / LED lights / 19" alloys / parking system plus / light & rain sensors / etc)

Factor in the above kit and the difference in price is significantly less @ only £5k more than an S3 which makes it a bargain in my book.

Plus the RS3 gets all the other specific RS components such as 2.5 litre engine, sports exhaust, body kit, flared arches, wave brakes, 7 speed, RS steering wheel etc.

Then you get all the additional styling options for black pack / ali pack - of which both look superb with the right paint colour so there are some great combinations you can select to personalise the car.

Biggest things the RS3 has going for it though is that engine, sports exhaust and performance - but I think for most of us the performance combined with the epic sound this car makes is what makes the RS3 so special and why it has won so many of us over.

RS3 worth the premium over an S3 ... damn right it is :)

Reactions: RYuill, 45bvtc, monopole and 6 others
Still think this thread should end?????
It's going nowhere, entertaining as it is
Everyone has had a shot at the Title???

Schizer!!!!!! l forgot, close it Friday,after l come back from my test drive lol

Reactions: Simon L, DAYTONA 500 and PanamaS3
Still think this thread should end?????
It's going nowhere, entertaining as it is
Everyone has had a shot at the Title???

Shizer!!!!!! l forgot, close it Friday,after l come back from my test drive lol

New thread title: "Mayweather....worth the premium over Pacman" discuss lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
New thread title: "Mayweather....worth the premium over Pacman" discuss lol

Nah new thread should be ,Is the S3 worth the premium over the A3:haha:

Reactions: Kings999, monopole, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
What some people tend to forget is the fact that the RS3 is only £5k more than an S3 equipped with the same spec:

(sportback / s-tronic / LED lights / 19" alloys / parking system plus / light & rain sensors / etc)

Factor in the above kit and the difference in price is significantly less @ only £5k more than an S3 which makes it a bargain in my book.

Plus the RS3 gets all the other specific RS components such as 2.5 litre engine, sports exhaust, body kit, flared arches, wave brakes, 7 speed, RS steering wheel etc.

Then you get all the additional styling options for black pack / ali pack - of which both look superb with the right paint colour so there are some great combinations you can select to personalise the car.

Biggest things the RS3 has going for it though is that engine, sports exhaust and performance - but I think for most of us the performance combined with the epic sound this car makes is what makes the RS3 so special and why it has won so many of us over.

One thing for sure when yours arrives and your'e out enjoying the 5 pot you won't be saying i wished i saved some money and bought an S3:yes:

Reactions: 45bvtc and Snake Pliskin
I would think this thread could have been solved very easily, people who bought the RS3 think it is worth the premium, people who bought the S3 either can't afford the RS3 or don't think it's worth it.
So to sum up the ops question, the RS3 owners do the S3 owners don't. There is no right or wrong answer because everything about cars are subjective.

Lol a simple poll would have sufficed

Reactions: Jassyo06 and 45bvtc
[Caveat: I have never driven the RS3 but I know everything there is to know about it from reading this thread :)]

1. Engine, exhaust sound
2. Engine, exhaust sound, greater performance tune-ability
3. Not currently in sedan form, not particularly "special" in/out other than engine/sound, heavier
4. The world will end first

I think if the 2016 face lifted sedan version were to inherit some "haunches" (wider arches), better wheel options, improved steering/handling to focus the car and make it stand out more as an 'RS' then the most common negatives will be gone and not many would care about any big interior changes...and most would find a way to justify the price premium....would love to see our wives/better halves on here arguing for/against that one! :) ......s**t! perhaps they already are!?!....v8? is that you honey???!! :)

We would argue, RS3copilot and I; that less is far more. We do NOT want an RS (Ren Sport) Audi to DAZZLE but to be more of a subtle Q-car that devour roads safely and as quickly as possible without untoward attention; and this loaded with four Audi TT wheels and tyres like so:

RS3OC_1040167_zpsun0dwqb6.jpg

We prefer the "what the f*ck is that" rather than the "hey that's an Audi RS3", if you know what I mean, and if you've an Audi RS3 then you do...

Maybe that's the difference?

If you have one you do and if you don't then you DON'T!

Reactions: RGBARGEE, DAYTONA 500 and Snake Pliskin

But it's NOT the money! Believe me or believe me not; it's just NOT the money. Or the bits of KIT, etc. On that dark, wet, horrible night when you want to 'play' you'll not be thinking of the money or I've these seats or them wheels or that roof, etc, tsk!

Said it before and here again there's nowt I'd swap my 8P RS3 BLUEY for and when someone does produce a piece of machinery that provides the fun and thrill and anonyimity and all-year round safety that an RS3 does then BLUEY will be swapped tout de suite.

I was out in a brand new 310bhp manual shift TT last week (4-pot with manual gearbox) and the experience was elephant droppings; how anyone who's driven an RS3 back-to-back with an S3 can comment negatively needs to go out with me; and I'm old...

As Snake Pliskin says, "RS3 worth the premium over an S3 ... damn right it is" :)

YEAH!!!! No worries... No pockets in shrouds and all that....:scared2:

Reactions: RGBARGEE, DAYTONA 500, Sandra and 1 other person
That said, and I now feel better, I think the Audi SQ5 and amazingly good piece of machinery.... sorry!

I'd say I was pasionite abot the Audi RS3 if only I knew how to spel it... :hi:

Last edited:
That said, and I now feel better, I think the Audi SQ5 and amazingly good piece of machinery.... sorry!

I'd say I was pasionite abot the Audi RS3 if only I knew how to spel it... :hi:
Really it would have never crossed my mind

Really it would have never crossed my mind

BUT your S3 is also a great car! And in Sepang blue :hubbahubba:, and with a panoramic roof :hubbahubba: I mean, does it really matter? You know it don't cos on the right day in the right place I'd swap for that panoramic roof every time....

Reactions: Jassyo06
Status
Not open for further replies.