RS3 vs M2

Status
Not open for further replies.
klMqBKZ.jpg

rSIXRg6.jpg

Zl3Dik2.png

rZKZkbR.png

Asport as you like to constantly tell us the RS3 can be matched by a mapped/tuned S3, then I guess the M2 can/will be matched by a mapped/tuned 235i?? After all, their engines are basically the same...

At least the RS3 has a USP, which is not just a set of big bumpers and spoilers ; -)

Asport as you like to constantly tell us the RS3 can be matched by a mapped/tuned S3, then I guess the M2 can/will be matched by a mapped/tuned 235i?? After all, their engines are basically the same...

At least the RS3 has a USP, which is not just a set of big bumpers and spoilers ; -)

Sure, but M2 and RS3 can be tuned too. We will see TTRS official upgrade in next months.

I like the RS3 display, 7" but actually shows the standard 5.5".

The BM interior is just hideous - there is so much going on, just terrible !

p90199664_highres.jpg

No flat bottom steering wheel either.
If I had to look at that interior every time I drove the car, it would drive me nuts.
BMW interior & exterior styling is just WAY TOO OTT for me.
I just don't see the attraction at all.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, lucas-suisse and RYuill
Why are you on here do you even have an Audi!!!!!!!

I'm in many places :D. Here because I like RS3, it was my 2nd choice, and still want to see future changes.

My M2 is coming in April! Guaranteed. They are so sure of the date, that is included in the contract.
I had an unique and great arrangement with the dealer.

Last edited:
I'm in many places :D. Here because I like RS3, it was my 2nd choice, and still want to see future changes.

My M2 is coming in April! Guaranteed. They are so sure of the date, which are included in the contract.
I had an unique and great arrangement with the dealer.

Nice one, I might move my m2 deposit over to an m3 saloon as it looks like I might not get it till the end of next year . really enjoying the rs3 but always had a soft spot for the m3. The rs3 has been especially brilliant in the appalling weather we have had over the last few days

p90199664_highres.jpg

If I had to look at that interior every time I drove the car, it would drive me nuts.

It looks very ... bmw.
Steering wheel without flat bottom is probably not so nice but more useful for normal driving.

This M Performance part is not full flat but looks really nice, is my favorite steering wheel. With that blue detail, alcantara and carbon fiber match perfectly for M2 (is designed for it).

2016-bmw-m2-coupe-with-m--4_600x0w.jpg

It looks very ... bmw.
Steering wheel without flat bottom is probably not so nice but more useful for normal driving.

This M Performance part is not full flat but looks really nice, is my favorite steering wheel. With that blue detail, alcantara and carbon fiber match perfectly for M2 (is designed for it).

Ah that steering wheel does look much better and more in keeping with a 'performance M' car.

Would still need to see the interior though as it does look very fussy with loads of different angles & edges ..... but it is the style BMW favor as you say.

It looks very ... bmw.

asport you make me laugh.

You seem really bitter, hanging round on the RS3 forum, silly little catty comments... all a bit jealous really.

You know what I think? I think someone got turned down by VWFS? ;-)

Reactions: RGBARGEE and DommyR
I have literally ignored this asport guy, I hope it means his posts won't show up. Completely pointless him being on the forum? It's like me joining the M2 forum because I think the Rs3 is a better car lol? Ridiculous.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Rs1, RYuill and 1 other person
I have literally ignored this asport guy, I hope it means his posts won't show up. Completely pointless him being on the forum? It's like me joining the M2 forum because I think the Rs3 is a better car lol? Ridiculous.

That's my view. Completely pointless.

IMO the M2 just isn't all that and I wouldn't even consider it. Each to their own but to me it seems like a baby BMW. Like a mini me version of the bigger and better M3 or M4. Looks weak and cheap.

I love my RS3. It's nothing like the other RS models and more importantly, it doesn't try to be. Holds its own, in its own right.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Standard Dakota leather in the M2 only, no nappa leather like in the proper M models :(

I think also M2 guys have many things to prove for themselves for instance 4,3 0-100 with rearwheel drive isn't as simply as quattro and fuel consumption should be a nightmare comparing to other M models which is sucking up fuel like camels. I tested M235I earlier and its not easy to floor it with rwd and get a good run, not to burn tires.... this M2 shouldn't be easier.

p90199664_highres.jpg

Seem to attract the 'bling brigade'.. lycra bright coloured clothing, expensive watches, Private number plates... The Joy of an Audi is that it doesn't shout "look at me'... I can appreciate my views may not be shared by all but they are my views and evidence based!

Reactions: Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
I think also M2 guys have many things to prove for themselves for instance 4,3 0-100 with rearwheel drive isn't as simply as quattro and fuel consumption should be a nightmare comparing to other M models which is sucking up fuel like camels. I tested M235I earlier and its not easy to floor it with rwd and get a good run, not to burn tires.... this M2 shouldn't be easier.

RWD are difficult to drive than AWD, you can't floor all times and you need to calibrate throttle power and steering, that's one of factor that makes driving RWD more fun and addictive. Active differential, 100% power at back, front wheels just for steering... is another driving style with a well weight balanced car (just check the sizes of the front brakes and a rear in a RS3 .. and watch those of a M2).

41LaGnw.jpg

About fuel, N55 engine is very well optimized and used in multiple models, averages will be similar or probably a little better than RS3.

Reactions: CraigI
RWD are difficult to drive than AWD, you can't floor all times and you need to calibrate throttle power and steering, that's one of factor that makes driving RWD more fun and addictive. Active differential, 100% power at back, front wheels just for steering... is another driving style with a well weight balanced car (just check the sizes of the front brakes and a rear in a RS3 .. and watch those of a M2).

41LaGnw.jpg

About fuel, N55 engine is very well optimized and used in multiple models, averages will be similar or probably a little better than RS3.

I have tested M235I but not with IX and had most of the times if not every time wheelspin when I flored it which is fun 1 or two 2 days than you want GRIP. I don´t know any motorsport that car with spinning wheels are winners except drifting where you got points for it. You have to think about temperatures not just outside but tyre temperatures as well to get good grip and even in UK you don`t have so much cold winters but you have pretty much weather in form of rain. The consuming part I haven`t experinced myself but when you are flooring and driving more active the 6 cylinders want plenty of fuel according to one enginer here in Sweden but he maybe just said it :whistle2:

You can't drive a RWD car in same way than AWD.
Watch after 6:40 with a driver.. checks times, and that is just a M235i, not M2.

For that kind of weather RS3 it is probably better, but with "crazy" driving both can crash, AWD isn't crash free... with fast and safe driving both are very secure.

Fuel usage will be similar, that 5-cyl is also very powerful and hungry. Many horses to feed :D
For M235i averages are better than RS3 (more power too).

Last edited:
For that kind of weather RS3 it is better, but with crazy driving both can crash, AWD isn't crash free... with safe driving both are very secure.

Fuel usage will be similar, that 5-cyl is also very powerful and hungry. Many horses to feed :D

He was not to smart comparing to how other drivers was drivin on ice or black ice. Of course every car has their limits but awd, fourwheeldrive, quattro, x-drive or whatever we call it is faster in start and cornering because more grip and you can feel it very clearly even on dry tarmac, car is flying with quattro and with rwd you have to spin and loose time all the time.

He was not to smart comparing to how other drivers was drivin on ice or black ice. Of course every car has their limits but awd, fourwheeldrive, quattro, x-drive or whatever we call it is faster in start and cornering because more grip and you can feel it very clearly even on dry tarmac, car is flying with quattro and with rwd you have to spin and loose time all the time.

He probably was thinking his quattro could go faster under any conditions, and finished flying... against a tree.
A false sense of security is very dangerous.

You can't drive a RWD car in same way than AWD.
Watch after 6:40 with a driver.. checks times, and that is just a M235i, not M2.

For that kind of weather RS3 it is probably better, but with "crazy" driving both can crash, AWD isn't crash free... with fast and safe driving both are very secure.

For M235i averages are better than RS3 (more power too).

I notice in that clip he is also driving ON tram tracks! Wet metal does not give good grip for any car, just like white painted lines! Idiot... I see quite a few examples of this kind of donut in Poland...

He probably was thinking his quattro could go faster under any conditions, and finished flying... against a tree.

Asport, if you look at the second clip that pops up after the Audi (who lost it under panic-braking!) did you see how many BMW's crashed???

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
BMW's crash so often they even have a compliation full of nothing else ha ha :laughing:

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Reactions: Ozmosis
I especially liked the green one who thought he'd pulled the perfect drift and sticks his hand out the window to show off, just before it caught traction and spat him into the barrier!

Just to say: 4WD gives more TRACTION, not more GRIP.

Mechanical grip is affected by tires, diffs, suspension and so on, not the number of driven wheels.

Reactions: veeeight, Ozmosis and xBox
M Suspension, wheels size, and active M Differential can give better agility, handling, traction and cornering than RS3 quattro? we will see @ track times.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope you have lots of £ for tyres if you are going to
M Suspension, wheels size, and active M Differential can give better agility, handling, traction and cornering than RS3 quattro? we will see @ track times.

Wonder why bmw wants 4 wheel drive on next new M5? Yes, because you can drive faster and Audi have quattro and Mercedes has AMG and both are in front of bmw like it or not :blow:.

Mercedes uses RWD in their top small/medium size, sports cars like:
C63/C63 S AMG, Rear
SLK 55 AMG, Rear
AMG GT, AMG GT S, Rear

A45/CLA45 are "4Matic", because are coming from simple and cheap front wheel design with basic A or CLA models.

Other big and heavier AMGs like CLS, GL, GLE, E, or S have 4Matic. (Curiously, most powerful and bigger Mercedes car: S65 AMG / S65 Coupe AMG are rear only).

Last edited:
The E63 comes in 4matic aswell as the CL63 it seems they've just offered a bit of variety as apposed to Audi (only 4 whee drive) or BMW (only RWD)

New A45 FL has just had its first head to head with the RS3 and the RS3 was ever so slightly ahead in the straight line although times for both were quite slow, the FL A45 easily beat the RS3 on track and in a minute and half a lap was 2 seconds faster than the pre faclift. The M2 is being built as the ultimate handler in the sector so if its faster than the FL A45 round a track it must handle ****** well

Last edited:
New A45 FL has just had its first head to head with the RS3 and the RS3 was ever so slightly ahead in the straight line although times for both were quite slow, the FL A45 easily beat the RS3 on track and in a minute and half a lap was 2 seconds faster than the pre faclift. The M2 is being built as the ultimate handler in the sector so if its faster than the FL A45 round a track it must handle ****** well

Which mag was this as the one I saw the rs3 was a fair bit faster in straight line

yep, A45 FL is faster driving in a track. Also new TTS is making better than RS3 with less power.
Just check video.. too much understeer for track, that 5-cyl engine put too much weight on front.

Track times don't worry anyone (who cares about +1 or 2 secs...), but are a good and not subjective way to compare cars with real data and testing.

DSC_0849.JPG

Reactions: Blackwhite
Status
Not open for further replies.