Facelift RS3 vs Golf R vs BMW m140i

Having come from a Golf R I’m really surprised they didn’t really rate it, such a great and capable car! Handled like it was on rails and the manual gearbox was a dream on the right roads. Admittedly it’s quite a bit down on power from the 140 and the RS3, so not a particularly fair or worthwhile comparison lol. Still glad to the see RS come out on top.

Tiff must be the only person on earth not to like VC. F@nny lol

Reactions: jimojameso
As nice as it is to see the Audi on top, it's a bit of an unfair comparison. In reality it should the the S3 that is in with that trio.
I guess the S3 would be last with the BMW first in that scenario.
Ohhh....and I don't like the VC either lol

Reactions: jimojameso and Deep penetrator
Dont like VC ... burn them!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso, NevMan and T-800
Virtual cockpit is fab.

Sodding Tiff Needle.

How can anyone not like the central RS dial ?

I wonder if the views will change in the part 2 of this.... on the track that of course we all drive on.

Reactions: FBF01
I wasn't so sure about the VC at first. But got to hold my hands up and say that my first impressions were wrong. I couldn't be without it now. The large central rev counter makes it feel like you're in a Lambo and there's just so much information that can be brought up and tailored to your needs.

I'm sure Tiff would change his mind once he got used to it.

Reactions: zaka7, NevMan, Terminator x and 1 other person
I went for a blast around the Peak District all Saturday and I think this RS3 facelift is Absolutely epic and I’ve found another level of confidence in the way this thing handles as I was chucking it into the corners and it just stuck like it was on rails and not a hint of oversteer absolutely blew me away how planted and how fast I was taking the tight twistie roads. I’ve found another level of appreciation for this car and I’ll say if I tried taking the same twisties in my M4 or M3 in the same gear or same speed I would of been part of the scenery 100% as I’ve driven them roads in said cars.

About Virtual Cockpit I thought it was a massive help and a fantastic aid whilst blasting around the Peaks as because it’s google earth and you zoom right in you can see the layout and continuity of the upcoming roads which allows you to push on without the fear of not knowing which way the road goes etc.

When she gets the MPS4s tyres on and she’s now got Eibachs on it will be even better.

Reactions: NevMan, Beebee-one, T-800 and 2 others
I went for a blast around the Peak District all Saturday and I think this RS3 facelift is Absolutely epic and I’ve found another level of confidence in the way this thing handles as I was chucking it into the corners and it just stuck like it was on rails and not a hint of oversteer absolutely blew me away how planted and how fast I was taking the tight twistie roads. I’ve found another level of appreciation for this car and I’ll say if I tried taking the same twisties in my M4 or M3 in the same gear or same speed I would of been part of the scenery 100% as I’ve driven them roads in said cars.

About Virtual Cockpit I thought it was a massive help and a fantastic aid whilst blasting around the Peaks as because it’s google earth and you zoom right in you can see the layout and continuity of the upcoming roads which allows you to push on without the fear of not knowing which way the road goes etc.

When she gets the MPS4s tyres on and she’s now got Eibachs on it will be even better.

Ah but all the ‘real’ drivers prefer the rear wheel BMWs.......

Reactions: sks, jimojameso, NevMan and 1 other person
Ah but all the ‘real’ drivers prefer the rear wheel BMWs.......

RWD is obviously fun however on roads like in the Peaks the RS3 just gives you so much confidence to push more, the M cars your constantly having to think about the rear swapping ends.

ETTO really, but AWD suits me just fine when I’m in the car and likewise when I’m in the M car.

Reactions: T-800 and NevMan
As nice as it is to see the Audi on top, it's a bit of an unfair comparison. In reality it should the the S3 that is in with that trio.

S3 is definitely the comparable car to the Golf R and M140.

I own a 2017 M240i with the RS3 and they are very different cars. The M is smoother to drive, great engine, almost sewing machine mechanical compared to the RS3, and a deeper tone to the exhaust, albeit quieter overall. It is not a “shouty” car unlike the RS3. Mine has the adaptive suspension and combined with the smooth engine and 8sp ZF, makes for a very comfortable car to drive. Unlike the RS3 it changes gear when asked. It is also surprisingly quick with most seeing around 355-360 hp on the dyno as standard. Very little difference in a straight line compared to the RS3. But that’s where it ends.

It can be skittish even in the dry and is in desperate need of a LSD. The lack of LSD takes a lot of the fun away for me. BMW don’t offer it as a build option because its performance would be too close to the more expensive M2. As expected the RS is absolutely planted in comparison. Night and day difference in usability. The M has better steering feel but for turn in speed they are equal. Audi really got it right with the FL RS3 in that area. Difficult to find better with an AWD system.

It is worth pointing out that although much cheaper than the RS standard spec on the M is poor. Heated seats, cruise control etc. are optional extras. The standard sound system in the M is woeful to the point of barely being fit for purpose on a car of that value.

The VC is amazing and will only get better as Audi continue to develop it.

Reactions: Behind The Bins, Terminator x, FBF01 and 2 others
great review, from someone who actually owns both. Nice driveway you must have :respekt:

Reactions: Behind The Bins, Deep penetrator and Powerenhancer
My neighbor has an M140i and we’ve done loads of comparisons and races etc from dig to 2nd/3rd/4th pulls etc and this was before and after my remap and when my car was stock it would completely destroy the M140i in any gear every time as expected

Reactions: monopole and NevMan
1 rs3
2 golf r
3 m140i in no way am I hating on the bmw in terms of driving and how it makes you fell the 5 pot will always be on top the golf r just corners much better

Reactions: NevMan and Deep penetrator
My neighbor has an M140i and we’ve done loads of comparisons and races etc from dig to 2nd/3rd/4th pulls etc and this was before and after my remap and when my car was stock it would completely destroy the M140i in any gear every time as expected

At santa pod a couple of weeks back, a modified 240i was still down in the 12's at 1/4m trap.

Reactions: Deep penetrator
They are great cars for there price, probably £ to £ the best on the market and that’s both the M1/240i but when compared to the RS3 it’s just not equal at all and that’s fact.

Agreed the 140i is superb value for money, if you're on a budget that is.

Reactions: NevMan
The comparison above by PE is spot on. I had a 140 before the rs and agree with the lsd comment. It was a very quick car and I don’t feel much difference with the fs once rolling. In the dry it was a lot of fun for the money but the Scottish winters made it a pain for me for half of the year.

Reactions: Powerenhancer
Maybe the Golf R estate feels different compared to the hatch? Or is it the facelift compared to the pre-facelift? I expected them to like the Golf R more from how high praised the pre facelift was.

The Golf R is a great car, if a bit naff sounding. But it's the category below and isn't fair to put it up against the RS3. Golf R's are pretty well specced and can be got for decent discounts. Like for like spec the RS3 is getting on for twice the price.

Laughable that Tiff thought the M140i had the nicest dash/speedo setup and comfort and luxury better than the Audi.....laughable

Reactions: Enbarr, sks, Deep penetrator and 1 other person

agreed s3 v Golf r hatchback v 140i v focus rs

Reckon the focus rs would win if you like spoilers and engines blowing up

Laughable that Tiff thought the M140i had the nicest dash/speedo setup and comfort and luxury better than the Audi.....laughable

Tiff stuck in his own little time warp

Reactions: Powerenhancer
Part 2 of this

Reactions: Powerenhancer, FBF01 and Deep penetrator

Although I agree the Audi is a nicer place to be and the VC a huge advantage, the BMW is better is some areas. To start with the steering wheel has a quality chunky feel to it, the centre console doesn't creak like a witch when you touch it with your left left and the more durable leather seat bolsters don't crease just by looking at them the wrong way. After 8k miles the front drivers seat still looks brand new unlike my RS3 which had a bolster crease from the 24 pre-delivery miles.

Reactions: Deep penetrator
Although I agree the Audi is a nicer place to be and the VC a huge advantage, the BMW is better is some areas. To start with the steering wheel has a quality chunky feel to it, the centre console doesn't creak like a witch when you touch it with your left left and the more durable leather seat bolsters don't crease just by looking at them the wrong way. After 8k miles the front drivers seat still looks brand new unlike my RS3 which had a bolster crease from the 24 pre-delivery miles.

I agree with everything there apart from the creaky centre console, never had that with mine. The seats creasing so easily is so annoying.

Reactions: FBF01
I agree with everything there apart from the creaky centre console, never had that with mine. The seats creasing so easily is so annoying.

I may take it into Audi then. Mine does it every time my left leg touches it. Makes right hand turns/bends very annoying. Will take a video if I get the chance.

The pay off being is the leather is from a hippo or similar animal and not nice looking nappa you pay your money

Reactions: Deep penetrator, JonoNZ and NevMan