RS3 vs competitors

Terminator x

Reaction score
You lot seen this?

Won't spoil the result, just slightly surprised by the rolling results.

TX.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
  • Haha
Reactions: FBF01, Jassyo06, Mike.46 and 3 others
Yeah a bit surprised myself about the rolling race but it’s roughly what I’d expect with the standing starts.

Think the Golf R always makes a good case for itself when it’s so similar for seriously less money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46 and Mr Freeze
You lot seen this?

Won't spoil the result, just slightly surprised by the rolling results.

TX.

Minorrr result this, it wouldn’t happen in the real world when it’s raining more than 50% of the time.

BMW and Porsche drivers wouldn’t have the confidence in their cars to put their foot down and risk spinning out causing a write off.

#Quattro

These sorts of power figures through the rear wheels scares the crap out of me!

I had the fortune to drive a family members Ferrari 812 Superfast last Sunday and oh my lord… it’s a white knuckle ride!!

Throw in rain or lesser grip conditions and it’d be curtains real quick!

Reactions: Waq1
Lol it only came up on my YT today!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
My head would’ve been gone if the 45s smoke the RS3

I am slightly torn as a previous Audi owner and having come from an S3 I now have a CLA 45s.

I think the RS3 is super and it was certainly on my list of cars, but I’m happy with the way I went now.

The reality is that in real world conditions they are marginally different.

I don’t often do drag races

Reactions: Mr Freeze
I understand what your saying

I gave up a 3.8 second car with an unreal interior A45s for a 3.7 car with a bland interior I have to just pray when it comes it drives better because this could be a huge mistake

Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
No the sound will be fantastic and there’s no mistake… I love Audis but was just ready for a change after having 3 of them.

I’m loving how playful my new car is and in race mode the rear is just a little loose when giving it the beans out of slow corners. The RS3 looks to be every bit as fun now so that’s good to see.

Exceptional performance on offer!

Reactions: UncleRick and Mr Freeze
First of all, competition is good - that’s how we get progress. There are some truely amazing cars on sale and this is probably the peak for ICE vehicles given the pressures to move away from fossil fuels in cars.

I was an Audi driver for about 20 years, and really loved my RS3 but it was definitely starting to fall behind. When I was looking for a replacement at the beginning of this year the Mercedes 45s models were really the only option that ticked all my boxes, and I ended up buying a CLA45s.

Obviously I haven’t driven the new RS3, however I have to say the ability of the CLA45s is night-and-day compared to my 8V PFL RS3. The agility of the car and the free-reving nature of the engine make it a very different driving experience.

Aesthetics are personal, some will prefer the styling of the Merc versus the Audi and vice versa. Engine note is no contest, the 5-pot is king for charisma but the AMG power plant does well with a basic recipe. The difference in speed off the line is negligible apart from bragging rights.

Personally I have no regrets - the ergonomics of the Merc are superior to the 8Y in my opinion and that would be irksome every time I drive the car.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Very well summed up I have to say.

The engine note (on the outside) is my only real criticism of the Merc here. Inside the cabin I have to say it sounds great!

The RS3 is no doubt a fantastic car, but for me the Merc is leagues ahead in styling… but that once again is a very personal choice.

This car feels more akin to my old EP3 Civic Type R with its willingness to rev, something my outgoing S3 didn’t do.

As you say in really world use there is no discernible difference. Fantastic performance that matches the Ferrari F40 that adorned my bedroom wall all those decades ago… from both cars!

Enjoy this last hurrah folks… it’s probably going downhill from here

Reactions: dbm
These sorts of power figures through the rear wheels scares the crap out of me!

I had the fortune to drive a family members Ferrari 812 Superfast last Sunday and oh my lord… it’s a white knuckle ride!!

Throw in rain or lesser grip conditions and it’d be curtains real quick!

Exactly driven many cars - idiot press and rwd friends all harp on about they drive around a track better etc....but i respond to these idiots with:

How often do you take a car to a track
Why on earth would you take a £50K+ car to a track - thats a road car

I would rather have a seperate cheapish track car so i can properly spec it for the track and put in a roll cage, harnesses, etc and thrash to rubbish out of it - ideally itll be rwd, though fwd, is whilst not ideal, is ok

For the road i want something safe and usable all year round. An M2 friend has finally relented and is looking getting a yaris gr for the winter/runaround, which imo is perfect

I think its safe to say anyone would be happy with any of those cars and for most driving theres virtually zero difference. Even when there are differences they are very very minor and at very high speeds that noone will ever attain. The only slightly bigger differences will be seen on a track, that realistically virtually noone will ever do.

Thought the golf r held up well. but is too boring for me.

A45 is too chavvy / tacky and that blackpool iluminations dash would do my head in, it also sounds rubbish, but its impressive power for a 4 cylinder - i also question is really does have 420bhp, i think it has less unless it loses alot in its transmission.

Porsche is impressive for a manual but only 2 seats and way too expensive, also the dash is horrible and so dated.

M2 is impressive and unlike the M140i looks pretty good, but 2 doors and no proper rear seats is a no from me, unless i had a 2nd car. No good in the wet or winter - as my M2 mate will testify as few years ago his car was stuck after 16 in snow and he couldnt get out of his drive - i drove my rs3 saloon there -16 miles- no probs

RS3 all day long for me. M2 2nd choice, though id need a 2nd car eg yaris gr for winter. Not interested in the others.

Reactions: Waq1 and SILVAF0XX
I agree with you and it clearly comes down to very personal preference at the end of the day.

People are always keen to justify their buying decisions and will often run down the competition as a way to do that, but I just think we’re all incredibly lucky! Not only are cars of this performance being built, but we are lucky enough to be able to afford to buy one of them.

I too am not struck on the A45 rear wing for instance and detest the “Halfords” styling of the latest Type R, having loved my Honda back in 2004. It’s the reason that I went for the CLA as it is more subtle and I personally love the styling and interior. It’s a personal thing as I say.

I would have been more than happy with an RS3 and think they’re a cracking motor! Can’t beat that 5 cyl, but I’m not worried about losing to one in a drag race as I simply wouldn’t risk my licence.

Silva

I agree with you and it clearly comes down to very personal preference at the end of the day.

People are always keen to justify their buying decisions and will often run down the competition as a way to do that, but I just think we’re all incredibly lucky! Not only are cars of this performance being built, but we are lucky enough to be able to afford to buy one of them.

I too am not struck on the A45 rear wing for instance and detest the “Halfords” styling of the latest Type R, having loved my Honda back in 2004. It’s the reason that I went for the CLA as it is more subtle and I personally love the styling and interior. It’s a personal thing as I say.

I would have been more than happy with an RS3 and think they’re a cracking motor! Can’t beat that 5 cyl, but I’m not worried about losing to one in a drag race as I simply wouldn’t risk my licence.

Silva

Agreed. Mercedes have done an amazing job on that 4 cylinder engine.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I understand what your saying

I gave up a 3.8 second car with an unreal interior A45s for a 3.7 car with a bland interior I have to just pray when it comes it drives better because this could be a huge mistake

mate the interiors on the 45s are stunning but them displays headache my mate has a35 saloon and his always in the dealers

Reactions: Mike.46 and mb127