RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

A Tesla was on Fifth Gear last night and they really disliked the removal of the coast feature so they commented the lift off battery regen was too severe ... it sounds like you were comfortable with it yeah ?

I am genuinely shocked you liked it enough to ditch a high performance Petrol powered car though mate ... but then again you may need your ‘Merc’ moment before seeing the light lol
It takes 5 - 10 minutes to adapt to, its like the brakes are attached to the accelerator, the more you come off the accelerator the harder it stops, Fifth gear are wrong :)

Reactions: 8YARWY and Snake Pliskin
Battery lawnmower different thing all together to a car come on lol .. I’ve had a battery mower for years but it’s a tool for a job not a desirable car.
Similar as in no servicing, no hassle, no noise, no emissions

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Or you could wait and be patient and hope that Audi come out with an etron RS3 in the coming years instead of all this id3/4 and low hp hybrid sh*t that VW?audi are offering (RS etron excluded)

No good. I need a car ASAP.

Can always be sold and something else bought, 8V.5 RS3 was my longest owned car at 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
I think the only real thing that I didn't like and I would disagree with you was the central speed readout, I just didnt adapt to it, brakes, very similar thoughts, handling again surprised me with its feel, didnt feel heavy and went where I told it to.

Amazing how something so simple, easy to use would give just about any RS or even an R8 a hard time

Quite a refreshing change I thought, at the time I said I would have ordered one there and then except for the lack of hatch and the model Y just tips into the too ugly for me, that RSsymons guy can change the wooden stuff for Alcantara which would suit it better.

It might be an idea to try and find a 3 year old one and see how it's got on with UK life

PS: do an insurance quote, my Golf R is £240, they reckon the RS3 about the same, and yet a Tesla was £500

Not cheap at £690.

RS3 renewal £700

Reactions: Mike.46
A Tesla was on Fifth Gear last night and they really disliked the removal of the coast feature so they commented the lift off battery regen was too severe ... it sounds like you were comfortable with it yeah ?

I am genuinely shocked you liked it enough to ditch a high performance Petrol powered car though mate ... but then again you may need your ‘Merc’ moment before seeing the light lol

I found the one pedal very easy Glenn.

It recognises Traffic lights / junctions etc so stops the car spot on.

I forgot to mention the self driving cruise etc which is so easy to engage, on the motorway it was superb.

Reactions: NevMan and Mike.46
I found the one pedal very easy Glenn.

It recognises Traffic lights / junctions etc so stops the car spot on.

I forgot to mention the self driving cruise etc which is so easy to engage, on the motorway it was superb.

Ah cool that’s good then re the regen braking. Yes I do admire the tech they’ve incorporated into these cars. Sounds like the quality has improved too.

Ah cool that’s good then re the regen braking. Yes I do admire the tech they’ve incorporated into these cars. Sounds like the quality has improved too.
Just go and have a go in one to see for yourself (make sure its a 3 performance) :)

It's honestly a strange experience, I love my cars/motorcycles(4) love doing stuff like turning (with my lad) his Golf gti mk2 into a RS3 engined 4wd, 500+hp rocket, I've built numerous Porsche GT2/GT3, Carrera cup engines and gearboxes, the list goes on and on, but the model3 really did open my eyes,

I wish EV's had never appeared, VW had not cheated, and Greta Thunberg had stayed in School, but they're here and happened as well, they and the charging network will improve hugely over the next 5 years and I can see myself sitting at the lights in my RS3 surrounded by the ****** things, and they'll all be quicker *** :scared2:

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Just go and have a go in one to see for yourself (make sure its a 3 performance) :)

It's honestly a strange experience, I love my cars/motorcycles(4) love doing stuff like turning (with my lad) his Golf gti mk2 into a RS3 engined 4wd, 500+hp rocket, I've built numerous Porsche GT2/GT3, Carrera cup engines and gearboxes, the list goes on and on, but the model3 really did open my eyes,

I wish EV's had never appeared, VW had not cheated, and Greta Thunberg had stayed in School, but they're here and happened as well, they and the charging network will improve hugely over the next 5 years and I can see myself sitting at the lights in my RS3 surrounded by the ****** things, and they'll all be quicker *** :scared2:

A friend of mine (ex-RS3 owner ) has a 2 & 1/2 year old model 3.
61b6b1dc2f4f894c678d8c08fc262452.png

Reactions: RS03???, Terminator x, Mike.46 and 1 other person

driving one tomorrow as it happens ha ha as wife considering one as a company car ... so will keep an open mind, promise ;)

Reactions: FBF01, 8YARWY, NevMan and 2 others
A friend of mine (ex-RS3 owner ) has a 2 & 1/2 year old model 3.
61b6b1dc2f4f894c678d8c08fc262452.png

I looked into the cost, it's around £3.80 per 100 miles of charge, so say £4/100miles, and RS3 is going to use 3 gallons of Shells finest to do that at £6.75 per gallon, that over £20

10,000 miles per year in Tesla £400 of electric
10,000 miles per year in RS3 £2000 of fuel
Plus road tax at £500 on RS3, you would save £2k a year, mind you Tesla would probably depreciate quicker

Reactions: NevMan
I looked into the cost, it's around £3.80 per 100 miles of charge, so say £4/100miles, and RS3 is going to use 3 gallons of Shells finest to do that at £6.75 per gallon, that over £20

Plus road tax at £500 on RS3, you would save £2k a year, mind you Tesla would probably depreciate quicker

Don’t forget, no trips to Audi either at service intervals. That’s worth £300-400 on a first oil change

Reactions: FBF01, NevMan and Mike.46
Don’t forget, no trips to Audi either at service intervals. That’s worth £300-400 on a first oil change

I had the converstaion,

No servicing at all? what about the brakes?

Because of the regen they last an extremely long time

Brake fluid change?

Tesla says 5 years, If it bothers you that much you can have a health check if you want, but the car will tell you if it needs attention

So no 'Full Audi Service History' to pay for

I really object to the sheer number of glass and girders Audi dealerships with 'some' receptionists looking down their nose at you if you appear in jeans and T shirt, can you imagine the upkeep for all that cr*p and the huge number of people in them?....................not required these days, it should all be 'on line' with maybe half a dozen centres throughout the UK where you can look/test drive. Audi should take the whole lot of the dealers and do it themselves

Reactions: 8YARWY and NevMan
I had the converstaion,

No servicing at all? what about the brakes?

Because of the regen they last an extremely long time

Brake fluid change?

Tesla says 5 years, If it bothers you that much you can have a health check if you want, but the car will tell you if it needs attention

So no 'Full Audi Service History' to pay for

I really object to the sheer number of glass and girders Audi dealerships with 'some' receptionists looking down their nose at you if you appear in jeans and T shirt, can you imagine the upkeep for all that cr*p and the huge number of people in them?....................not required these days, it should all be 'on line' with maybe half a dozen centres throughout the UK where you can look/test drive. Audi should take the whole lot of the dealers and do it themselves

£15 check.

Brakes rarely used on most.

Depreciation doesn’t seem a problem.
The 21 plate model 3’s all up for late 50’s but as with anything in life, isn’t guaranteed.

I certainly won’t miss the endurance that is the Audi 1st / 2nd inspection, such a faff and worry because of not doing this / that / will they / won’t they wash it / damage etc.

@T-1000 & @Mike.46 Interesting read, but are you saying we should cancel our orders and visit Tesla (or other EV maker)

Your reports do seem to suggest its win win.

Reactions: Mike.46 and NevMan
@T-1000 & @Mike.46 Interesting read, but are you saying we should cancel our orders and visit Tesla (or other EV maker)

As a long time RS3 owner I’ve not been as bothered / excited by the new model, what has added to it for me is the current attitude towards sales / inflated new RS sales prices and not knowing when a car is even going to be built.

My other feelings are I’ll be doing all the same things to the same car over again in terms of mods etc, that I did on the 8V.

For me personally it’s time maybe for something different……….

And it’s ok for @Snake Pliskin to say in an earlier post that maybe I need that ‘Mercedes’ moment like he had, I’ve had that in between the PFL and FL when I bought a new Golf 7.5 R so now for me owning a new 8Y isn’t a be all and end all.

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR, Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin and 3 others
As a long time RS3 owner I’ve not been as bothered / excited by the new model, what has added to it for me is the current attitude towards sales / inflated new RS sales prices and not knowing when a car is even going to be built.

My other feelings are I’ll be doing all the same things to the same car over again in terms of mods etc, that I did on the 8V.

And it’s ok for @Snake Pliskin to say in an earlier post that maybe I need that ‘Mercedes’ moment like he had, I’ve had that in between the PFL and FL when I bought a new Golf 7.5 R so now for me owning a new 8Y isn’t a be all and end all.

Well said mate, and as you say from a long time RS owner, if the 3 Performance impressed you so much, can’t argue with that. They do seem to not be struggling with chip shortages and delays as I mentioned a mate of time ordered in Oct and collected in December. So as you say, order now and collect in March. They also have the whole online sales sorted. These flash Audi, BMW Merc dealerships are surely going to start disappearing and maybe be fewer and far between handover centres

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
@NevMan Elon probably makes his own chips vs the rest of the world waiting for China to pull its finger out!

TX.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY

It's your decision mate you seen it done wore the RS3 t-shirt over and over again not many have on this particular group of members
Not a fan of Tesla styling at all as you know but my opinion is irrelevant
Wait and have a go with the more powerful Kia ...unlike yourself l don't need a car and l am selling my car when it arrives .....my ego no longer requires a fast car

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
It's your decision mate you seen it done wore the RS3 t-shirt over and over again not many have on this particular group of members
Not a fan of Tesla styling at all as you know but my opinion is irrelevant
Wait and have a go with the more powerful Kia ...unlike yourself l don't need a car and l am selling my car when it arrives .....my ego no longer requires a fast car

I’ll be keeping my order in……

Don’t think I’ll struggle selling an exclusive car if/when it arrives

Reactions: Mr Freeze, NevMan, Mike.46 and 3 others
I’ll be keeping my order in……

Don’t think I’ll struggle selling an exclusive car if/when it arrives

Yer RS3 will fly out yer drive faster than any
Tesla 0-60 time plus add in a nice wee profit by doing so it's....win win win

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 2 others

ha ha I forgot about your Golf R :tearsofjoy:
At least I kept my Merc a bit longer lol.

So driven the Tesla & being honest it was better than I anticipated. The tech was nuts, we even drove by some roadworks and the screen displayed some cones - very clever.

Fit & finish as you mentioned is vey good. Driving position good, ROUND bottom steering wheel even looked good as it was small & sporty. It was a long range, not the high performance model but even so the instant pick up was impressive. No squeaks or rattles & nice roof.

With regards the regen braking it WAS too severe for me. I’m sure you’d get used to it but zero coasting just felt too aggressive, it does need that feature re-introducing imo do then everyone is happy.

it’s not an ugly car and does have its attractive angles but looks wise it wasn’t doing a lot for me but certainly not offensive just generic.

Absolutely no question a great car for my wife as the tax is crazy low so a no brainier but would I buy one with my own money ... no

Getting back into my car & hearing the engine strike up is something that gives me pleasure & is important to me but I can totally see how the performance model could be attractive to you mate, it will be neck snapping quick lol so good luck if you do get one & at least now I can see some of the attraction so won’t give you as much stick ;)

Reactions: Mr Freeze, NevMan, Mike.46 and 2 others

I think it's a 'change' too early tbh, but there really doesnt seem to be an awfull lot of negatives

Reactions: AndyVWR, Mr Freeze, 8YARWY and 2 others
They also have the whole online sales sorted. These flash Audi, BMW Merc dealerships are surely going to start disappearing and maybe be fewer and far between handover centres
If I had the choice of an Audi transporter pulling up outside my house and dumping my newRS3 on the drive at something like £7500 cheaper, and a free bunch of flowers and maybe a brolly at the Audi centre I know what i'd choose :)

Reactions: Mr Freeze, 8YARWY and NevMan
If I had the choice of an Audi transporter pulling up outside my house and dumping my newRS3 on the drive at something like £7500 cheaper, and a free bunch of flowers and maybe a brolly at the Audi centre I know what i'd choose :)

Completely agree mate

Reactions: Mike.46, Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
Fit & finish as you mentioned is vey good. Driving position good, ROUND bottom steering wheel even looked good as it was small & sporty.

Lol better than the big Scania wheel in the Vorsprung. Nice size too.

Reactions: hef, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person

I went into Audi Hamilton on the way to my wee mums Saw a nice Q5 BE in Turbo Blue that car has the same steering wheel as the Vorsprung RS3/LUNCH eds lol it looked really acceptable classy...forecourts where even sparsely populated than on my previous visits it more EV's than ice car's on it though

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, 8YARWY and NevMan

yeah for a round steering wheel they nailed the perfect size. Even my flat bottom wheel felt big tbh after so dread to think how the DAF one would look in the Vorsprung as you say.

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
yeah for a round steering wheel they nailed the perfect size. Even my flat bottom wheel felt big tbh after so dread to think how the DAF one would look in the Vorsprung as you say.
Vorsprung wheel is definitely not outa place in the 8Y RS3 mate if it where I'd of said..but l am so glad your happy with the 8V steering l loved it back in the day lol

• Haha
Vorsprung wheel is definitely not outa place in the 8Y RS3 mate if it where I'd of said..but l am so glad your happy with the 8V steering l loved it back in the day lol
If we’re all happy that’s definitely the main thing :icon thumright:
Good you’ve seen the vorsprung wheel though and are happy with it & I’m sure it is fine regardless of the pi#% taking lol

If we’re all happy that’s definitely the main thing :icon thumright:
Good you’ve seen the vorsprung wheel though and are happy with it & I’m sure it is fine regardless of the pi#% taking lol
Forums Forums pincha salt ....lol besides l won't be holding on the Eddie Stobart wheel for long ....last time l mention it....

Forums Forums pincha salt ....lol besides l won't be holding on the Eddie Stobart wheel for long ....last time l mention it....

you might feel differently when the car arrives mate. If you do sell it on though, what car then next ?

Reactions: Jassyo06
you might feel differently when the car arrives mate. If you do sell it on though, what car then next ?
You selling it ?
Yes mate l no longer require/desire a car like the RS3...nowt to do with the car just more content on how things are in my life now without having a pcp,worrying about all that entails owning a any desirable fast car its 4 months since l sold the TTS....and its liberating driving a 1 litre fiesta and by doing so has changed my outlook on cars and life in general

Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and Snake Pliskin
As for you Mr Freeze .. what the hell are you doing about a new car lol ????
Absolutely nothing at the moment having extension work on the house started in the next few weeks so been busy getting that sorted .
Booked a week in the Atlantis the palm Dubai for May plus planning a holiday to America in July so i'am skint now :laughing:

Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Yes mate l no longer require/desire a car like the RS3...nowt to do with the car just more content on how things are in my life now without having a pcp,worrying about all that entails owning a any desirable fast car its 4 months since l sold the TTS....and its liberating driving a 1 litre fiesta and by doing so has changed my outlook on cars and life in general

thats cool & I totally get that. You may keep that mindset or bank some cash and put that to a next car & require less finance or stay as you are ... win win :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Mr Freeze