RS3 Tyres

Mark_E

Reaction score
Have had a quick search and couldn't find much on this. What is the general experience with replacement tyre costs and roughly how many miles would I expect to get before needing to replace a set assuming "normal" RS3 type driving style?

Anything more than 10k is a bonus, anything less not so good on stock tyres.

I will be replacing with MPSS as I did on my mk1 - superior type for me. Shop around - I got 4 supplied and for £600 about 6 months ago.

Reactions: Mark_E and 45bvtc
Definitely 100% Michelin Pilot Super Sports (but not Cup).

Whatever the cost they're worth it as they give a progressive wear across the full face of the tread.

And for what it's worth run 'em at 39psi front and 37psi rear; the recommended 41/39 is a tad harsh with 1 and/or 2 up; and the tyres willl center wear; just saying from my own experience...

Reactions: Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and Mark_E
Thanks Elton & 45, that's helpful.

Am looking at tyre insurance which comes out at £319 for 4 years cover for up to 5 new tyres up to £300 each. This doesn't cover replacement for general wear but just for accidental damage but it would only take one claim in 4 years to recover the premium and any more would make it very good value. Over the last few years I have averaged one puncture per year so this seems like a no brainer, am I missing something?

But a Michelin Pilot Michelin Super Sport 235/35 R19 (91Y) XL is currently £156 inclusive at Camskill so why would you want to 'insure' at £300 each?

For sure, Mark_E, I'd never consider insuring tyres...

Reactions: Terminator x, RGBARGEE and Mark_E
But a Michelin Pilot Michelin Super Sport 235/35 R19 (91Y) XL is currently £156 inclusive at Camskill so why would you want to 'insure' at £300 each?

For sure, Mark_E, I'd never consider insuring tyres...

The cost for the same period with the replacement value limited to £150 per tyre was £299 so I thought for an extra £20 it would cover any increases in pricing over the next 4 years.

As a matter of interest why wouldn't you insure for tyres? I have never done in the past but looking at the cost it seems reasonable value for some level of peace of mind.

Not sure I would bother with Tyre Insurance at that price! I have been driving many years and 'touch wood' haven't had too many problems and as 45bvtc says they are £156 a corner.

Dealer tried flogging me tyre & alloy wheel cover for £500 notes last time ........ noooooooooooo way !

The cost for the same period with the replacement value limited to £150 per tyre was £299 so I thought for an extra £20 it would cover any increases in pricing over the next 4 years.

As a matter of interest why wouldn't you insure for tyres? I have never done in the past but looking at the cost it seems reasonable value for some level of peace of mind.

Just never felt the need Mark_E; been driving since 1968 and only had one puncture in all that time - Lotus Elan +2S 130/5 on the M5 near Bristol. Also, I don't run my tyres much past half-worn on any of the 3-Audi I have; I much prefer to fit a new set and sell on the old and surprising though it may seem I've always found a ready market; plus, the thought of having to go through an insurance company for a replacement tyre is a complete no no :sadlike: Tyres are way too important to rely on an insurance company so no thanks I'd much rather sort it myself and take the £s hit as and when.

Reactions: Mark_E and Snake Pliskin
Tyres are cheaper at Tyreleader.co.uk £146 each
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-super-sport/235-35-zr19-91y-428410
Not sure why you would pay £319 for tyre insurance ??
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=939745
There are all kinds of clauses with these policies, such as you are only insuring the original tyres. So if your tyres last 10K miles and you change them after 1 year essentially you are no longer covered.
Also if a tyre is almost bald and mysteriously gets a puncture you may have to contribute something to the replacement under a "betterment " clause.
You really need to read the small print with these insurance policies.

Reactions: Terminator x and Mark_E
Not sure I would bother with Tyre Insurance at that price! I have been driving many years and 'touch wood' haven't had too many problems and as 45bvtc says they are £156 a corner.

I got a flat PZero after 14 days of ownership, and had to replace with another one so as to keep continuity.

Annoying!!

Reactions: Mark_E
One reason I wouldn't go for tyre insurance is imagine you have tyres with more than 5k on them and one blows / then the insurance kicks in and replaces the burst one leaving you to consider a separate cost for the opposite tyre - if you are unlucky enough to have this happen twice on difference occasions within one set of tyres (fronts then say tears) then the maths don't make sense. Plus when Audi tried to punt me their tyre cover when I asked if they would honor both tyres or even the Quattro I was told no - and yet you get RAC to tow for a puncture to be repaired at the Stealers and it's usually you do realise Sir we recommend both if not all tyres on all quality 4wd RS's to be replaced - yeah right! Maybe that's so the master tech can top up his earnings with some 19" quality part worn low profiles for his Sat job!!!

Reactions: Mark_E
Thanks to everyone for your replies, really helpful and I have decided not to go ahead with the insurance.

Now what am I gonna spend that £319 on instead .........

Reactions: elton121272, 45bvtc and Terminator x
Thanks to everyone for your replies, really helpful and I have decided not to go ahead with the insurance.

Now what am I gonna spend that £319 on instead .........
You could but two new MPSS tyres to prepare you in advance he he

Welcome to this exclusive club!

Reactions: 45bvtc