RS3 STronic in Manual mode?

Mike.46

Reaction score
I had a demo drive today. for the life of me I couldnt get the STronic to stay in Manual mode, is that normal? I could use the paddles but after a short time
it reverted back to auto, is there a setting/mode etc where it stays in Manual?

That's a question that I was going to ask as well, having looked closely at the selector area and not seen an obvious way to do it. There's no option to move the selector to the left, as you do in the previous models. Would any of the lucky new owners (or others) care to enlighten us?

It used to be, slide the gearstick to the side to get manual.
Of course you can’t get that now as it’s a stubby little lever.
Maybe we need @Alexlfc17

Reactions: Waq1
I had a demo drive today. for the life of me I couldnt get the STronic to stay in Manual mode, is that normal? I could use the paddles but after a short time
it reverted back to auto, is there a setting/mode etc where it stays in Manual?
Strange, like you say you use the paddles to put it into manual mode, but the new model leaves it in manual mode until you either change drive settings or flick your gear stick back a click. This is also how you cycle between S and D, by clicking it back one click, it won’t how ever cycle to manual, you need use the paddles to put it into manual.

I was curious myself if it would flick it automatically out of manual, like the previous model did, but it didn’t at all, I presume this is because you now don’t have the option to flick the stick to the left, and the only way now to enter manual mode is by taking control on the paddles and using them

IMG 7126

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HereWeGo, AndyVWR, billymc92 and 3 others
Strange, like you say you use the paddles to put it into manual mode, but the new model leaves it in manual mode until you either change drive settings or flick your gear stick back a click. This is also how you cycle between S and D, by clicking it back one click, it won’t how ever cycle to manual, you need use the paddles to put it into manual.
This was obviously the 'new' 8Y RS3, I had it in various modes but obviously time limited, every time 'I' tried the paddles it would go to manual and then 1/2 mile or so down the road it would revert back to auto
I didnt try it in Dynamic mode for long, I tried it in individual with some quickly set 'settings' and a few comfort/Efficiency settings just to see what day to day (Wifey) settings would be like
I'd be interested to know what setting you use for it to stay in Manual once the paddles are used
I asked the sales guy on return and he said all RS models and S3 are like that now?

View attachment 247132

Thanks, but interesting to note that specifically refers to the D and S program settings for engine/gearbox via the central selector, as opposed to Drive Select modes. On older cars, no matter what Drive Select mode you are in, you can change engine/gearbox between D and S using the central selector, which I do regularly. I wonder if that could perhaps explain Mike46's experience, as in D it will revert to auto whereas in S it should not, until you do something to force it.

This was obviously the 'new' 8Y RS3, I had it in various modes but obviously time limited, every time 'I' tried the paddles it would go to manual and then 1/2 mile or so down the road it would revert back to auto
I didnt try it in Dynamic mode for long, I tried it in individual with some quickly set 'settings' and a few comfort/Efficiency settings just to see what day to day (Wifey) settings would be like
I'd be interested to know what setting you use for it to stay in Manual once the paddles are used
I asked the sales guy on return and he said all RS models and S3 are like that now?
Must have been because I was in the “S” mode and would explain the pic T1000 put up, tomorrow I’ll try it in E or D and see if it puts you back into D when no gear changes for a while.

Reactions: Mike.46
Must be because I’m always in “S” then haha. Good to know about holding the + puts you back into auto, that I didn’t know. Same as last car, if in manual mode cruising and you hold the - it drops it to the lowest gear possible
Holding the + in the old cars changes back to auto as well.

Reactions: billymc92
In comfort etc it does revert back to auto but rs modes I’m pretty sure it stays in M until you either hold the right paddle or click the shifter

In comfort etc it does revert back to auto but rs modes I’m pretty sure it stays in M until you either hold the right paddle or click the shifter

What’s ‘comfort’ is that an old man mode.

So tried it today, and in comfort or eco if no gear change is present for 15 seconds it will change back to drive, only in dynamic or performance will it stay in manual until the driver selects to change back

Reactions: Keano04, Mike.46 and Waq1
So tried it today, and in comfort or eco if no gear change is present for 15 seconds it will change back to drive, only in dynamic or performance will it stay in manual until the driver selects to change back
What’s the difference in Dynamic and Performance modes? I’m guessing Dynamic will allow abit of slip at the rear?

I quickly set the demo car up in individual mode and it still auto changed after the 15 seconds, whether I set the correct individual part to Dynamic i'm not sure, I should have left it in Performance mode I guess, it was in Dynamic when I started the demo but as said earlier we were in the tail end of Storm Barra and the roads were awful with water and bits of trees/leaves all over the place so I stayed on the safer side of settings....................just in case :)

What’s the difference in Dynamic and Performance modes? I’m guessing Dynamic will allow abit of slip at the rear?
I think your correct there, many have said the Performace mode would be used for a quick lap of the Nurburgring and would be suited to our bumpy roads as well as it selects a softer setting for the shocks, balances the car well and doesnt hang the tail out like it can do in Dynamic

When it’s in a manual mode is it properly in manual and won’t auto change up if you hit the limiter still?

Having had a bit of a play with my car now I’ve noticed that if the gbox is in D before you put it in manual, then I will revert back to D.

If however you were in S and change to manual, it will stay in manual.

Lots to get used to still - it doesn’t like rolling (in gear) up to a junction and then pressing the accelerator as I find it can be quite jerky at times. I think it’s user error so just trying to focus in on what I am doing so I can avoid it though

Reactions: Mike.46
Having had a bit of a play with my car now I’ve noticed that if the gbox is in D before you put it in manual, then I will revert back to D.

If however you were in S and change to manual, it will stay in manual.

Lots to get used to still - it doesn’t like rolling (in gear) up to a junction and then pressing the accelerator as I find it can be quite jerky at times. I think it’s user error so just trying to focus in on what I am doing so I can avoid it though
Our Golf 7.5 R is exactly the same and more so when in a sport type setting, in comfort setting it's generally smoother, but, this is the price you pay for a VW/Audi/DSG/STronic or whatever name they attach to it, generally they do not do the 'auto' stuff quite as well as a 'real' auto box