RS3 Sports Exhaust

Just fitted the CETE exhaust valve controller to my 2019 OPF car, wow makes a real difference especially with the low down revs having the valves open permanently.

This provides me with exactly the noise I was after, still too quiet for some I’m sure but you can’t say that it doesn’t sound good considering the new restrictions and compared with say the new A45S which sounds dreadful!

I did try and measure the difference before fitting and got 91db before and 96db after, although I wasn’t really giving it full revs as was early on a Saturday morning :redface new:

Money well spent IMO.

Sounding great there Riko. Looks/sounds like a great investment for OPF cars. Once mine is run in I think I'll be taking the plunge...:yum:
Thanks for posting!:icon thumright:

Reactions: Riko0073
Sounding great there Riko. Looks/sounds like a great investment for OPF cars. Once mine is run in I think I'll be taking the plunge...:yum:
Thanks for posting!:icon thumright:
No problem mate :icon thumright:

No problem mate :icon thumright:
Hello mate I got the pcw mod done on my 2019 and sounds so much better in dynamic mode, but in comfort or auto does make a slight whistling noise here an there when you put the throttle down.. but that could be where the valves are closed? either way I’m glad I went for it! Valve controls could help this though!

Hello mate I got the pcw mod done on my 2019 and sounds so much better in dynamic mode, but in comfort or auto does make a slight whistling noise here an there when you put the throttle down.. but that could be where the valves are closed? either way I’m glad I went for it! Valve controls could help this though!
Thanks mate.

I’ve looked into the PCW mod but to be honest after installing the valve controller the sound is just about right for me, nice and quiet in comfort which I can now set for those early morning starts and permanent flaps open in dynamic to get the most out of the exhaust at all revs/speeds.

An added bonus I noticed is that the start/stop function keeps off whenever I re-start the car, presumably only in dynamic but have yet to fully test in all modes etc...saves me turning off every time I turn off and on the car.

Looking through the various threads and posts on here it looks like CETE is the most popular...have many got the ASR version with a keyfob? They seem to be well priced at the moment and the ability to use a keyfob to open the valves quite appeals to me. The two products look to be pretty similar -so my question to those in the know - is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks for any feedback.:thumbs up:

I installed the ASR Component controller for my 2019 OPF TTRS this weekend,

I must be the only person who isn't raving about them on the OPF car?

It literally makes the tiniest amount of difference, in dynamic / individual (on my setup) it simply makes the car about as deep as putting it into sport mode on the gear box.

I have read reviews that claim you hear more turbo, you hear more bubbling etc. From my experience its literally the same with a tiny bit more bass.

Is it worth £400 to still have to close the windows, put the back seat down, turn the fans on low, and constantly drive up and down 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears to extract any noise at all...?

Personally i wouldn't have bothered had i not read the reviews.

Im sure there will options in the near future to get more noise again

(Stage 2 :rock:)

Reactions: rdj
I installed the ASR Component controller for my 2019 OPF TTRS this weekend,

I must be the only person who isn't raving about them on the OPF car?

It literally makes the tiniest amount of difference, in dynamic / individual (on my setup) it simply makes the car about as deep as putting it into sport mode on the gear box.

I have read reviews that claim you hear more turbo, you hear more bubbling etc. From my experience its literally the same with a tiny bit more bass.

Is it worth £400 to still have to close the windows, put the back seat down, turn the fans on low, and constantly drive up and down 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears to extract any noise at all...?

Personally i wouldn't have bothered had i not read the reviews.

Im sure there will options in the near future to get more noise again

(Stage 2 :rock:)
Not my experience at all.

Now that the valves are open all of the time it’s far more audible in the low rev range. Admittedly it’s not much louder than stock but noticeable enough for me.

I wasn’t bothered about the key fob as just let the drive select do it’s thing.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the car now remembers to keep start/stop function as you left it so the fact I dint have to turn it off every time I stop and start the car is worth the £400 plus the added noise in dynamic in the low revs.

Reactions: rdj
The ASR for the TT is exactly the same as the CETE one. It doesn’t have the fob as it works from the standard exhaust button. They are essentially the same.

interesting to see how everyone’s opinion differs. Maybe I’m still just bitter that it’s been muted so much!

I don’t even notice the start stop as I’m always on sport manual and it never kicks in on that basis for me.

Glad you’ve found the improvement works for you sir! Saves you a few grand on downpipes and remaps not to mention everyone’s biggest fear... jeopardising the warranty!

Reactions: rdj and Riko0073
The ASR for the TT is exactly the same as the CETE one. It doesn’t have the fob as it works from the standard exhaust button. They are essentially the same.

interesting to see how everyone’s opinion differs. Maybe I’m still just bitter that it’s been muted so much!

I don’t even notice the start stop as I’m always on sport manual and it never kicks in on that basis for me.

Glad you’ve found the improvement works for you sir! Saves you a few grand on downpipes and remaps not to mention everyone’s biggest fear... jeopardising the warranty!
Indeed,

Yeah everyone’s different and I get that some prefer the noise of the PFL etc but I’m happy with the OPF model noise now with the valve controller as didn’t want anything to in your face after coming from a nice smooth V6 in the S4, you can still hear that glorious 5 pot engine with some nice exhaust burbles without the pops and bangs.

The performance however was a concern after some had mentioned this was affected by the OPF, maybe so but I recorded a 4 second dead 0-60 last night on a slightly wet road so that’s good enough for me and no doubt it will go well under 4 secs in the right conditions :redface new:

Reactions: jonnyfeng and rdj
Riko, forgive me I'm a bit lost.

Does the valve controller gove you full control of the valves in any mode? Eg run in comfort with valves open all the time?

Riko, forgive me I'm a bit lost.

Does the valve controller gove you full control of the valves in any mode? Eg run in comfort with valves open all the time?
I think the valves are closed permanently in comfort, although they do open at high revs to protect the engine.

However, you can set everything in Individual to comfort but exhaust to dynamic and that would keep the valves open permanently.

You can also revert to the original valve settings by double clicking the traction control button.

I think the valves are closed permanently in comfort, although they do open at high revs to protect the engine.

However, you can set everything in Individual to comfort but exhaust to dynamic and that would keep the valves open permanently.

You can also revert to the original valve settings by double clicking the traction control button.
Closed in comfort open in dynamic + the car remembers settings every ignition cycle so no need to keep pressing the * button ;)

The TC button opens and shuts the valves so you can have them either open or shut in any driving mode.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073
Just in case anyone was wondering the ASR is not just a remote key fob option.

That was a version they offered but the most up to date ASR is exactly the same as the CETE option which is the double plug with box and earth connection that plugs into the passenger footwell area. This has all the same functions including stop start etc etc.

it also works out slight cheaper plus shipping to the UK when I last checked

Reactions: rdj and (deleted member)
Just in case anyone was wondering the ASR is not just a remote key fob option.

That was a version they offered but the most up to date ASR is exactly the same as the CETE option which is the double plug with box and earth connection that plugs into the passenger footwell area. This has all the same functions including stop start etc etc.

it also works out slight cheaper plus shipping to the UK when I last checked

Thanks jonnyfeng - great input there -appreciate it. The price does seem pretty attractive...:redface new:

Reactions: jonnyfeng
At 400 euros though, can you justify that price tag. Can’t you Just unplug them and blank them off like I did when I had my S3?... that’s what one thinking of doing if i can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 400 euros though, can you justify that price tag. Can’t you Just unplug them and blank them off like I did when I had my S3?... that’s what one thinking of doing if i can?

You can but then valves are always open so no option to quieten the exhaust if needed. I always switch to comfort if I’m leaving early in the morning so not to upset the neighbours :redface new:

It’s a weekend kinda car, I have a work van to see me through week so not really bother about it being louder, and I’m used to a hard drone from the S3 having a res delete. The RS is quiet compared. I have seen on another tread somewhere of 2 sets of blanks for the valve and wire, but I’m unsure if they fit OPF, don’t know if they have changed the valves in anyway

You can but then valves are always open so no option to quieten the exhaust if needed. I always switch to comfort if I’m leaving early in the morning so not to upset the neighbours :redface new:

My neighbours have not complained yet, pops & bangs at 0630 every morning

Reactions: Terminator x and Riko0073
For me the valve controller is worth the money giving full control over valves AND it remembers to keep the annoying start/stop turned off every time you re-start the car :icon thumright:

Reactions: Luiggi
Im gonna jump in here again...

I really dont think its worth advising people that its "worth the money", unless we understand what they are expecting.

On my previous Golf R I was able to open the valves for free, and that wasn't enough change so i got a Res delete for half the costs of the AVC and there was a huge difference.

Golf R/ S3 with a res delete compared to OPF with Controller is not comparable. My guess is that you would be dissatisfied with the difference for the amount paid.

I bought the controller based on people claiming this is a must for OPF owners, and well it really isnt. There just isnt £400 worth of change in my opinion.

The car is somewhat louder when crawling around at low speeds, there is little to no difference when you put your foot down. There is no extra pops and bangs.

Its essentially £400 for very little difference aside from a deeper noise when driving slowly, which does in a sense sound like drone.

Realistic options to consider:
  • Buy the AVC/ ASR, however do not expect a lot, then if £400 seems ok for a minimal difference go ahead, the stop /start memory is an added bonus.
  • Spend £20 on the plugs to test first, i believe this is not good long term as the engine loses power using the plugs, more details available by searching
  • Purchase controller knowing you can probably resell in the future for £350+ anyway
  • If you think you might tune then wait and put the money towards this, as it will open the valves in dynamic anyway.

From following whats going on over in Germany, theres companies working on stage 1 tunes reintroducing more noise and pops and bangs, testing is underway to see if there is negative effects on the OPF at this point with 2-3000 miles there has been no issues to mention. (Checking temps at the OPF)

In 12 months from now there will be tonnes more options.

Reactions: Terminator x
My neighbours have not complained yet, pops & bangs at 0630 every morning

My next door neighbour told me the start up noise made him smile every time!

TX.

Reactions: DW81, Bristle Hound and sve170
Im gonna jump in here again...

I really dont think its worth advising people that its "worth the money", unless we understand what they are expecting.

On my previous Golf R I was able to open the valves for free, and that wasn't enough change so i got a Res delete for half the costs of the AVC and there was a huge difference.

Golf R/ S3 with a res delete compared to OPF with Controller is not comparable. My guess is that you would be dissatisfied with the difference for the amount paid.

I bought the controller based on people claiming this is a must for OPF owners, and well it really isnt. There just isnt £400 worth of change in my opinion.

The car is somewhat louder when crawling around at low speeds, there is little to no difference when you put your foot down. There is no extra pops and bangs.

Its essentially £400 for very little difference aside from a deeper noise when driving slowly, which does in a sense sound like drone.

Realistic options to consider:
  • Buy the AVC/ ASR, however do not expect a lot, then if £400 seems ok for a minimal difference go ahead, the stop /start memory is an added bonus.
  • Spend £20 on the plugs to test first, i believe this is not good long term as the engine loses power using the plugs, more details available by searching
  • Purchase controller knowing you can probably resell in the future for £350+ anyway
  • If you think you might tune then wait and put the money towards this, as it will open the valves in dynamic anyway.

From following whats going on over in Germany, theres companies working on stage 1 tunes reintroducing more noise and pops and bangs, testing is underway to see if there is negative effects on the OPF at this point with 2-3000 miles there has been no issues to mention. (Checking temps at the OPF)

In 12 months from now there will be tonnes more options.
That’s why I said ‘for me’ it’s worth the money, others can make their own choices.

The deeper exhaust note in lower revs is a much needed addition to the OPF cars IMO, agree there’s no difference in higher revs and when pushing on as the valves open just the same.

ETTO and at this stage I don’t want to go down the tuning route so this plug and play works perfectly for me.

Constant comments from friends/passers by on how nice the car sounds, so considering it’s the ‘quieter’ OPF model is nice to hear that it’s still better than a soulless 2.0 lump found in other models...but again personal choice.

My next door neighbour told me the start up noise made him smile every time!

TX.

Excellent, i think that most people do love the sound of an RS3, it’s a very unique sound and not overly aggressive.