Rs3 spare wheel space saver?

teslaboy

Mythos black RS3 8v FL
Reaction score
Guys as you know we have no spare wheel in the RS.
I would like to buy a space saver 19inch wheel to take with me on a long trips etc and use in the event of an emergency i.e I get a puncture.
Last resort would be to use the tyre weld crap that Audi supplies.

Is there an specific 19inch space saver I need to fit to the RS3?
Caliper clearance concerns me.

I totally agree with you. I dread getting a flat, but if I do, I shall call out the services (this is quite normal in France anyway!).

It seems ebay is the place for these wheels - you need to look for a 19", 5x112 wheel, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132357122319?rt=nc

I have tried to find somewhere on tinternet to see what the ET of these things are, but with no joy. I wonder if you could pop into Audi and ask to see if one fits on the premise you might buy one... The only other thing I can think is to ask a seller on ebay if you can return it if it does not fit, but this will of course land you with a return shipping charge.

Looking closer at the on above, it does look promising that it will clear the caliper.

Of course another alternative is to get the nearest wheel you can find and if it does foul the caliper, get a single spacer to suit along with five suitable lugs...

You are going on holiday - how much luggage will you have? I am not thinking of the space saver so much as the flat. Our wheels are pretty bulky...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben E
You could only use the space saver on the rear where I am sure there wont be caliper clearance issues. Bit of a pain to swap rear to front in the case of a front puncture though.

I too want a spare wheel so keen to find one

Reactions: Bronquito
You could only use the space saver on the rear where I am sure there wont be caliper clearance issues. Bit of a pain to swap rear to front in the case of a front puncture though.

As I say, if the ET forces the wheel to foul the caliper, get a spacer and longer lugs for use when it is a front flat.

Thanks guys.
I reckon I'll give Audi a bell.
I'll get back to you with their response.....

Right I just spoke to Audi and their 'master tech' from my dealership said No Audi don't sell a space saver spare due to caliper clearance issues.

Think I'll look around the web for any other options. Don' really want to by a full size !
Incidentally the Audi spares dept quote a standard A3 space save wheel with tyre at +300 quid !!

This is a ridiculous situation.

Does that tyre weld stuff ruin the tyre?

I guess if you have an issue and need to use it in an emergency then the tyre is probably unfixeable anyway.

What I really need is a full spare with proper tyre! Pricy....

Perhaps I'm just paranoid about not having a spare !

More of a pain as well if you have the ''wider track'' front alloys.

Dam it that's a good point.

I do have 255 front and 235 rear, so I need two different sized full size spares!!!
Ridiculous

Think I'll leave it and rely on the tyre weld !

Reactions: RS3 S.
I think I will buy a space saver from ebay and just use it on the back, if I get a front puncture I will just swap back to front.

Well, it's not a great problem (the two different size of tyre) if all you want to do is get to the nearest tyre centre and happy to take it slowly. Providing the space saver will bolt on is all that you need worry about - in the case of the RS3 it is the boltability onto the fronts that is the issue. But a wheel spacer will take care of this (I do not know what size, but maybe in the region of 20mm)

Also an issue is carrying the space saver and an even bigger issue is carrying the flat! Audi have decided in their wisdom to fill the old tyre well up with a battery and allowed B&O to fill the remainder up with a sub-woofer. Neither I am sure was necessary but there it is.

I looked into fitting runflats on my car, but for some crazy reason, outside of the US, no one appears to make runflats in 235.35.19. The nearest size runflats are available here are 255.30.19 - but no good for the rears!

Then there is the Conti-seal you could look at - available in 235.35 and 255.30 - it might give you more peace of mind. As I am keeping my car longer than intended now, I am considering these:
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/extended-mobility-main/contiseal
However, the problem that I see is that they could make one very complacent as in theory the TPMS will not detect a puncture all the time, so it could be possible, again in theory, to build up a lot of self-sealed punctures and then the big one comes - bang! back to square one, where at least runflats would trigger the TPMS and then you know to head very carefully for a tyre centre.

Reactions: teslaboy
I think I will buy a space saver from ebay and just use it on the back, if I get a front puncture I will just swap back to front.

Minor inconvenience but worth it if you'e in a real pickle !
If you get a front puncture and intend to swap the rear to the front and put the space saver on the rear you'll need either two jacks or an axle stand to do the swapping, one Jack won't do it.
The old trick of leaving a wheel i.e the punctured one under the car to hold it up this could be too high (screw Jack won't go high enough) or you could damage your side skirts.
Definitely need a torch as well if you need to do it in the dark !!

Ha ha we are pulling this apart aren't we. Best look at all the shortcomings before the enivteable !

Minor inconvenience but worth it if you'e in a real pickle !
If you get a front puncture and intend to swap the rear to the front and put the space saver on the rear you'll need either two jacks or an axle stand to do the swapping, one Jack won't do it.
The old trick of leaving a wheel i.e the punctured one under the car to hold it up this could be too high (screw Jack won't go high enough) or you could damage your side skirts.
Definitely need a torch as well if you need to do it in the dark !!

Ha ha we are pulling this apart aren't we. Best look at all the shortcomings before the enivteable !

Actually I correct myself !

You could do this with one Jack easily.

I'll still take a torch though !

Yeah will def invest in a torch and a nice long breaker bar for the wheel bolts

Reactions: teslaboy
Hi all.
Just found this thread. The eBay item in the thread is available.
My RS3 has 235/35/19 all round.
Am I right that I could order 1 and it would be ok for any wheel without the need for spacers?
Cheers.
Steve.

I bought a space saver from ebay similar to the one discussed in this thread. It will only fit on the rear due to front brake caliper clearance.

Ok Dan, thanks for the info.
I'm going to order 1, I really don't like not having one.
A front puncture would just be a bit more hassle putting the space saver on the rear 1st but at least I wouldn't have to mess about with the goo.
Steve.

Couldn’t you just buy a wheel spacer to make it clear the front?

Remember these will not fit under the boot carpet.
So it means it sitting in your boot on show.

Yep, the b&o fills the spare wheel well, don't mind it in the boot, there's rarely anything in there.

Hi guys. I have a question regarding this swapping of the rear wheel to the front: will the 8 inch rear wheel clear the front calipers? Since the front wheels are 8.5

I had a wheel seller just tell me that it wont. And i cannot test it yet since since my car is in the shop.

Basically i had issues with the p zero here since some roads are unfit... and ive had it with them so im waitin for the arrival of the michelins ps4s.

But now i have 2 spare p zeros. So what i want to do is buy a similar wheel for back up and leave it mounted. (For me here it would be cheaper and more practical than buyin a spare and swappin) but the aftermarket wheel, oem lookin, is only sold at 8.0 not 8.5. Should i get them anyways? Thanks,

Hi guys. I have a question regarding this swapping of the rear wheel to the front: will the 8 inch rear wheel clear the front calipers? Since the front wheels are 8.5

I had a wheel seller just tell me that it wont. And i cannot test it yet since since my car is in the shop.

Basically i had issues with the p zero here since some roads are unfit... and ive had it with them so im waitin for the arrival of the michelins ps4s.

But now i have 2 spare p zeros. So what i want to do is buy a similar wheel for back up and leave it mounted. (For me here it would be cheaper and more practical than buyin a spare and swappin) but the aftermarket wheel, oem lookin, is only sold at 8.0 not 8.5. Should i get them anyways? Thanks,

The RS3 8V comes with an 8J ET 49 all round option as standard (staggered was an option)

So yes the rear 8J fits the front too.

I went on a driving trip to the Swiss alps with some friends and I took a full size spare wheel (front) and tyre.

Damage limitation