1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift RS3 Saloon?

Masslob Jul 24, 2018

1. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

So ive managed to bargain a dealer down on an RS3 with minimum extras that i want for a decent price that i can live with, only catch is its a saloon

Never had a saloon before always driven hatchbacks...lol so any saloon owners here..any noticable difference between the 2 other than the loss of bootspace?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Powerenhancer

Powerenhancer Active Member

Personally, the saloon looks better, has ample space and very usable with the the seats down. Not keen on hatchback styling and prefer not to listen to **** rattling in the boot.

Enbarr likes this.
  4. jungle650

jungle650 Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi RS3 quattro S tronic MQB Platform DSG

Its ....Swings and roundabouts.

The saloon is a nice shape reminisent of the older RS4. In fact its a very similar size to the B7. The Sportback is also a lovely shape and to my eyes looks like a mini Avant especially with roof rails.

The saloon actually has slightly longer/deeper boot space. It is however restricted as you loose the hatchback versatility. So it depends what you normally carry around in the boot and what you might want to use it for. Its more than adequate for most daily tasks... weekly shop, small pushchair , golf clubs etc. Its less practical for a trip to the skip/dump or what ever you might call it !

You obviously loose rear wash / wiper with saloon. For UK roads in winter its something to think about that you might not during this Indian summer!

The saloon has a slightly different set up/ longer wheel base so some say it handles better and feels more planted. In reality unless you are driving over 8/10’s doubt a normal person would notice the difference.

Final point re design is the Saloon has a sweeping rear roof line, so if you regularly carry rear passengers they may notice the reduced head room and smaller rear window / space to get in/out of car, conpared to a Sportback. Its one of the first things my younge daughter mentioned when she recently travelled in a saloon!

Some people love one shape over the over. I like both. So if you can get a good deal, it suits your needs and you like the car go for it.

Jungle

q5man, Powerenhancer, keenu and 2 others like this.
  5. Macintosh88

Macintosh88 Member

Owned the PFL RS3 Sportback and now the RS3 saloon. Personally, I like the saloon shape more. On paper Sportback has bigger boot space, I feel the opposite. because the boot floor is longer on the saloon. I can fit two big travel luggage while sportback just fit one big travel luggage. Sure if you fall down the back seats you get more space. But it still a small car. It all depends what you want to load on the boot. Personally I think saloon works better for me.

Powerenhancer likes this.
  6. teslaboy

teslaboy Mythos black RS3 8v FL Audi RS3 Audi S3

Can't go camping in a saloon !

Macintosh88 likes this.
  7. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

I prefer the saloon. I waited 2 yrs for it as I wanted the a RS3 in 2015 but in a saloon, dealer said wait a bit as its coming, wasnt quite expecting such a long wait but worth it in the end.

Powerenhancer likes this.
  8. jonnyj

jonnyj Member

Aint the saloon got little wider rear wheels than the sportback Makes it a Hell of a lot quicker :rock:

9. Behind The Bins

Behind The Bins Active Member

If youre not sure dont do it

10. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member Team Nardo Audi RS3

I thinks it’s just about the looks personally . The other points whilst of course valid are minor to me . I prefer the saloon. Put it this way I wouldn’t have been swayed to the sportback if it was cheaper because that’s not what I wanted . Don’t compromise if your not sure you will regret it and the wait or cash saving will be insignificant in comparison . Can’t comment on the rear passenger space because I don’t let anyone go in the back.. boot has always been ok relative to the car .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

I like both but if I were ordering I'd probably go for the saloon just for the novelty of it. I looks superb.

12. Avatar

13. Toshers

Toshers Member Team Nardo TFSI Owners Group Audi RS3

As mentioned above, you have to go for what you prefer. If you compromise, chances are it just won't hit the spot for you. Every time you see a SB and think 'I should have waited and gone for that...' will be another nail in the saloons coffin.

Spend your money once and get the body shape you like.

I have a saloon because that's the body style I like. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever had an Audi hatch...

Jonny B likes this.
  14. Phil3

Phil3 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Audi RS3 Saloon

Totally down to looks for me... never fancied a Sportback but as soon as I seen the Saloon I knew that’s what I was getting next :icon thumright:

Jonny B likes this.
  15. jetbox1

jetbox1 New Member

Is it new or used? Plenty of both sportbacks and saloons with good discounts available so you should have plenty of choice with either if you want new.

16. dno_uk

dno_uk Active Member Team Ara Blue Team Riviera Audi RS3 Audi A6

Not in the current market there isn't, supply is definitely going short and with a wait now for 2019 model year it's a case of buy now or wait months

17. infernox

infernox Well-Known Member Team Mythos Audi S3 S tronic

The saloon actually has a smaller boot if you're going be litre capacity. The S3 saloon has a bigger boot than the S3 sportback though.

18. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Well-Known Member TeamMisano Team Ara Blue Audi RS3 Audi S3

I have an RS3 saloon and my wife has an S3 sportback - the saloon boot is deeper but not very high. However its big anough and if I want to carry big items ill use one of the 2 old cars or get a van. I don't miss he hatchback and the saloon looks much nicer imo

Dan_DJT and q5man like this.
  19. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

That dealer ****** me off by being super pushy so told him where to go
    Managed to find lease company that does specced RS3s in stock..found a Glacier white saloon with the extras i want..so im going for it and besides at 43 i think its time i left 20 yrs of hatchbacks behind and started driving a more mature looking car lol

Dan_DJT and q5man like this.
  20. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Nice, what spec did you go for. Delivery soon I gather if in stock?

21. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

Well im all about understated (as understated as an rs3 can be) so no loud colours, wheels or rude exhausts. So i picked the one that had default exterior except glacier white, folding windows and Comfort pack and privacy glass...all i need really. Yeah have to get it delivered by end of august. Means there will be an overlap with my s3 from abotu 6 weeks..im sure my brother wont mind having it for 6 weeks (hes insured on it) ;)

q5man likes this.
  22. dc911

dc911 New Member

Picking my new one up tomorrow

q5man likes this.
  23. q5man

Nice, look forward to some pics

dc911 likes this.
  24. q5man

Fair enough. Your poor brother

25. Soup

Soup Active Member Team Ara Blue Audi RS3

Picked my new RS3 saloon up yesterday having moved from an S3 sportback. I used my boot all the time as we had a 3 door so the one thing I’ll have to get used to is not banging my head on the (lower) boot lid when I’m putting my stuff in. Apart from that, no regrets moving to the saloon so far, and actually prefer the shape ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

q5man and Behind The Bins like this.
  26. dc911

dc911 New Member

Picked my nardo saloon up today, fantastic so far.

SPIKE_S3 and q5man like this.
  27. q5man

Look forward to some pics

28. Slowracer

Slowracer Member

Astute choice, welcome to team Nardo. :thumbs up:

q5man and dc911 like this.
  29. Soup

Soup Active Member Team Ara Blue Audi RS3

Another positive for the saloon (aside all the other comments on here), having had rain today I’m happy to experience no dripping in the boot when opening the lid on a slightly sloping driveway - was the one irritation with the S3 Sportback for me.

30. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter

Where are the :sign pics:

31. dc911

dc911 New Member

Need to work out how to scale the pics lower than 2mb so I can post them

32. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter

Your best editing then on a PC/laptop and reducing them to around 25%.

dc911 likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

Got a great deal on an ara blu saloon. Pick up end of September :)

q5man likes this.
  35. infernox

Which dealers have the best discounts right now?

36. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

Well they are desperate to sell of their stock right now as they will be unsellable as of September 1st so you can negotiate

West London Audi were open to negotiation

Was Stansted Audi who sorted me our but I was a referral from my cousin so he was extra helpful cos of the relationship he had with my cousin

37. infernox

Hmm might be worth it if they can give a good discount and P/X for my S3. Also I don't have to worry about the GPF filter making exhaust quieter if I wait.

38. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

They're stock is limited and you'll find saloons are cheaper as they're usually lower specced while the hatchbacks tend to be higher specced and more expensive

39. infernox

But what if you want a high spec saloon? Are these for new cars only or nearly new?

40. Masslob

Masslob Active Member

All new cars. They have to get rid of their stock but it's limited. These are cancelled orders and showroom cars.
    If you want nearly new buyacar.com. they offer many of the Audi used cars (you can compare the cars on each website side by side) but offer better Apr than the dealer . A used car I test drove was 600 quid from Audi a month same damn car was 480 on buyacar! They must buy the car outright and then lease to you for less Apr

41. infernox

Nice tip, I'll have a look. I wonder if there's any drawbacks from buying on there. Also what's the best way to find which deals have new stock?