RS3 Saloon

u3sport

Reaction score
Previews:

17145990157_4d39660fd7_b.jpg

17353425495_a318aaed62_b.jpg

I do like the idea of saloon but without the extended chrome pack. And those look like the 5 spoke star S3 wheels which I prefer to the rotors. That digital remodelling looks close to my perfect RS3.

But is it worth a premium over the sportback if it becomes reality and comes to the UK? And the Sportback looks good and I have a soft spot for hot hatches.

Last edited:
I will buy this car. Had the RS4 saloon and loved it. I believe Audi are/will be making the RS3 saloon (sedan) for the US, this has been confirmed. Hope they will supply to UK too!!

it looks like a club sport that has been PS'd with RS trim

if the real car looks like that its defiantly worth holding on for :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Audi UK confirm it and it retains the arches like the above (and Clubsport concept) then I'll be right in there with my order. Looks great.

To be clear, I'm not just considering this car on looks alone, but if I'm to drop the required coin on a RS model, then I want it to look like a RS model. I'm still desperate to see the Sportback in the flesh, so final judgement still reserved.

Reactions: GRE57Y, shakey_hand_man and UV-RS3
Of course it's a chop, but it needs to look like this. All other RS cars have the boxed/flared arches bar the RS3 (8P and 8V) and the TT-RS. OK, the 8V has slight flare at the front, but nothing that instantly identifies it over a boggo S3 to those not more deeply in the know.

This where the likes of VW have it right. The R is more muscular over a GTi and then look at the R420, looks insane.

It's always been this way with Sline and S cars, but for the smaller Audi models it seems this continues to the RS version also. Just so disappointing. Front end is much more aggressive and now with the twin ovals at the back it's got the basic RS tell-tale marks. Just a shame they couldn't make this a true RS6 styley uber mini-wagon. I hold out hope for them to confirm a saloon version and for that to take cues from the Clubsport concept, but the script looks written. It'll be the saloon panels with different front and rear end.

I agree with the above. If the RS3 Saloon looked like the photoshops, I would definitely want one.

The reason I went for the S1 rather than the S3 / RS3 is because, with the interior and exterior styling packs, it looks a bit more aggressive / fun / shouty than some of the other Audi models, which I think sets it apart. It's like what BMW do with the M3 and M4, the bonnet ripples and vents etc. really make it look like something special.

I know there are certain people who disagree, and I wouldn't necessarily want a premium brand like Audi making everything look like it's from Need for Speed, but equally they need to differentiate between their higher and lesser models - and if they want to attract younger buyers, this is one way of doing it.

Particularly with interiors, I think Audi is best placed to do this. The Merc A45 AMG's interior tries to be special, but is a bit cheap-looking. Audi uses nicer materials and I think can make a really outstanding product: it'd be a shame if the RS3 Saloon had the same interior as a diesel A3 (save for a bit of stitching and some badges), and just some other design of 18" wheels or the out-of-date rotors that I think shouldn't have found their way onto the hatch...

This rumour has been around a while. There will be uproar. I want the saloon version, like really want it. let's wait and see, time will tell. M2 will be out soon and the R420 is now out and testing as well. Choices, choices, but the 2.5 engine, quattro in the saloon body shape would be lush.

Reactions: billyali86 and Cobstar
+ 1

But then my sensible head says that the price difference would get more options on the sportback.

Then my heart says if you're going to spend that much on a car why worry.

This would be THE perfect car for me! Loved the engine in my TT RS, not keen on the sportback shape of the RS3 but love everything else about it ( bar the wheels :gaehn:). Need the space however

Drove the CLA45 and was quite dissapointed! Really let down that Audi have not confirmed a saloon yet that I am seriously looking at s3 saloons

Reactions: RMJ891
Maybe this is the wrong place to say this, but I just don't like the look of the RS3 sportback (nor the S3). Saw the S3 saloon in the flesh at Epsom Audi, however, and I think it's beautiful.

Maybe this is the wrong place to say this, but I just don't like the look of the RS3 sportback (nor the S3). Saw the S3 saloon in the flesh at Epsom Audi, however, and I think it's beautiful.

Agreed, proportions are just right on it, whereas the sport back can look a bit dumpy!

In regards to rs3, if you watch from 2:20 to 2:30, all is forgotten!

4882217e47c7e7a0242d7279b53d2835.jpg

Reactions: Cobstar and RMJ891
billyali86 that saloon is drop dead gorgeous with fab wheels. A similar RS model in that colour with the 5 cylinder engine etc would really float my boat

Reactions: billyali86
It's odd that I really don't like the Sportback but that saloon looks very good indeed.

I've been told its definitely coming by a Audi employee.

I was told the same by an Audi employee also, was told the end of this year. However I sold my tt in Feb and have been carless since. Pitter patter of young feet in July means I need to act fast and can not keep waiting about for something that could take forever to appear! The way I've specced the rs3 sport back comes to around 46. The saloon will be around 2-3k more and I am already maxed out as it is.

Once you have had that 5cyl 2.5 it's hard to look elsewhere!

I'll be amazed if the R420 gets the 5-pot. Apparently Audi struggled to get it into the RS3 with the ever more confining EU emissions laws, so I can't see them doing it in the Golf as well. Plus as all have said many times, what mad-man in VAG would allow a VW to beat an Audi (and significantly)!
I'll be pretty annoyed if it does get the 5-pot, I'm pretty sure despite what that article says, it will be a highly tuned 2.0 4-pot.

Agreed, extremely unlikely that the 5 pot will go in the golf. There's always been a certain of level of hierarchy in the VAG, I would imagine that upsetting it

R420 will not get the 5 pot. It will however (probably? maybe?) get the 420bhp turbo 4 that was previewed in the TT 420 Quattro Sport Concept. I also anticipate that the next TT-RS may get the 420 4 pot. They'll make it sound 'better' than the Golf R/S3. If you listen to you tube vids of the R400 concept, it does sound meatier, but then it could all be fancy sound play and the rubbish quality of iPhone vids!

We all know from the previous gens that Audi won't make a 3 door version of the RS3. They always said that if you wanted a 3 door version, buyers should look at the TT-RS. I can see the Saloon fit into the line up for the competitors like the Merc, so I really do think it will come.

If the TT-RS does take the 420 4 pot, then VW and Audi will have the 'same' flagship cars. There may be room for RS3 Plus as per previous version as 365bhp will be trounced very quickly.

Given the plaudits of the Golf R's chassis and handling (over the S3 I might add), I'd expect the R420 to be a very capable car indeed. Needs to look the part too though. OK, the added plastic F1 style aerofoilly things on the front bumper could look naff (like the Merc's), but VW have been very cute recently. The Golf R isn't shouty, but then again nor is the S3, the car it should be pitted against, not the RS3. If the ring spy pics are anything to go by, the rear roof spoiler is the only new enhancement and it's muted that it's only months away from a full reveal. It has the wider front track (like the RS3) and the wavy brakes (like the RS3), but I doubt very much it'll get the 5 pot. It needs to stand out from the Golf R and a simple rear roof spoiler won't do that. It has to take cues from the R400 concept with the flared arches, lower ride height and some appendages.

What is true is that things are getting very hot in the hot hatch arena. Waiting until the end of the year and you should see a raft of new motors which will be very hard to choose from. R420, TT-RS, RS3 Plus maybe? RS3 saloon (and Plus for that matter). And then there's that darned M2 to think about. There's even rumours of the M2 CSL prototypes running around the ring with the M2 mules. I need to wait to feed my excitement and to arrange for all the upcoming test drives!

Reactions: billyali86
Very doubtful that tt rs will get the 4 pot. It sits higher up ( hierarchy wise) than the a3 so can not imagine them doing that. Also the 2.5 5 pot was first designed to go in the tt rs

Maybe, but why put a 420 bhp 4 pot in a TT, even for a concept if not trying to point to the future or showcase future tech? Engine sizes are coming down for all models and all manufacturers. Granted the 2.5 fits the RS3 and the TT-RS, but it's only being used in these 2 models and hasn't appeared in any of the other marques in the VAG family (I think).

So it is. How could I forget that masterpiece.

So, subtitled and in German, the RS3 Review which states at the end, it is a car for *****. Their words not mine, thoughts?

who do they think drive Golfs and BM's then? perhaps they are taking a BIG step up the ladder (several rungs imo) into Audi's lol.

i fail to take anything from a person to complain how a car handles when "pushed more than 100%"

next.

Reactions: ThatOneDude
To be fair, I think while harsh they were correct.
It's not designed to be a track tool, it's meant to be a VERY fast road car with some luxury and comfort.
I did enjoy watching them blast down that Italian twisty back road - it looked like it generated some decent G-Forces and was fun to drive.

Reactions: The Challinor
Yeah I thought it was amusing and has perked my interest further, I just thought they could have done without the name calling at the end as it seemed like a very fair & honest review.

If the sportback looks dumpy then it's a good job they didn't use the 3 door. I personally prefer the sportback to the saloon.
If they do release one it will be crazy money as they won't get away with just changing the front wings...As those inverted lines on the arches are ***!
I was waiting for the s3 saloon but as soon as I saw those lines it was a No!

Yes ***! The least offensive word I could get away with describing them as. Would look more at home on a 1990's ford!
It would be quite a few grand more as the saloon is already a couple grand more than sportback. And if the next new rs4 is as good as it should be i know what I'd go for!

If they confirmed that this was coming to the UK I'd be straight down the dealers. Love my S3 saloon, would be very interested to see what happens with a 2.5 beast in it!

If they confirmed that this was coming to the UK I'd be straight down the dealers. Love my S3 saloon, would be very interested to see what happens with a 2.5 beast in it!

Was in the same boat as you mate, however I got fed up waiting so just put the order in for sportback

They should stop wussing out and build a RS3 with some proper flared arches!
^ This

I keep hoping (in vain it would seem) that Audi make the RS3 saloon like the A3 Clubsport concept

Reactions: Dave-o and ThatOneDude
^ This

I keep hoping (in vain it would seem) that Audi make the RS3 saloon like the A3 Clubsport concept

Aww it looks so perfect... that spoiler, exhaust and fuel cap (yeah the fuel cap makes a big difference...) makes it look so much nicer than the S3.