[RS3/S3 8V] Howto/Installation instructions for valve control (AVC) (for DriveSelect)

pleinx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

first of all: Sorry for my bad english! I come from germany.
And second: I hope currently doesnt exists already a how to for this.

I created yesterday an small howto/assistance to build in the AVC (=Active Valve Control) module which works with your onBoard functionallity, means "Audi Drive Select".

Currently the howto is written in german language. But if you're interested i can translate it? Let me know! :)

Englsih version :

German Version:

Looking forward for feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JamesBaby
Yes please. I've just ordered this module from the website. Hopefully will arrive this week.

I'd appreciate English instructions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pleinx
Reactions: JamesBaby
How does this work then and where do I get it from ? Does it throw any flags ?

It's a small plug and play module available from the German K-electronic website.

Using the traction control button you can set the valves how you want them, 'for the specific Drive Select Mode you choose'

E.g So you can set them full open, for all rpm, in Dynamic. But when you select comfort they operate as normal.

Reactions: Nickyc
You can buy it here:
https://www.active-sound.eu/de/audi/audi-a3/audi-a3-8v/active-valve-control-klappensteuerung
or yes, how JamesBaby says by: https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...s--Klappensteuerung-per-drive-select-AVC.html

This module can handle different mods:

DriveSelect
- Comfort: Valves closed until 5000rpm (depending on module. Some modules doesnt have this "safety functioniallity)
- Dynmaic: Valves 100% open, for ever
- Auto: All Series

"Memory" Feature: In the mod (DriveSelect) how you park you car, so will it start BUT attention:
This Feature (memory) DOESNT work currently on the mentioning module (k-electronic, active-sound.eu) on your latest RS3 8v.
Mine is from 06/2016 and it doesnt work. Its no drama but i would just say it :)

Does that mean when I start the car in Dynamic I always have to press the dash button to have the valves full open ?

Does that mean when I start the car in Dynamic I always have to press the dash button to have the valves full open ?

Correctly. But only for the latest RS3 8V. Thats was the statement from the tuner.
Maybe if have time to visit him we check where is the "problem". It look like that the latest models got some different update in CAN-BUS system or something like that.

My Workaround: ignition on, choose drive-select "dynamic" and then start car. But i dont need open valves open in while starting the car... its really rarely

Reactions: ken-yyz
Installed it tonight. It fits in the passenger side even on UK RHD cars. Easier to install for us.

Went for a quick drive so not fully sure what it's doing. Dynamic + Sport mode sounds lovely. Pop and bangs a lot.

Will comment more later.

Reactions: Seanix and Beebee-one
Anyone comment on how loud it gets with this? Does it start to drone at all if the valves are always open?

I'm all for this if it sounds good. I don't want it to sound like a boy racer though!

With valves fully open there is a drone when cruising between 2-3k rpm.

That's the beauty of this though. By pressing the traction control button twice you can switch them open or closed. Or flick through the Drive Select to comfort etc.

That looks quite difficult to me. I would definately end up breaking something.

It's really easy. It fits on the passenger side on a uk car so no worry about faffing with the bonnet latch either.

Im more worried about breaking clips and stuff. What does this give extra over the asr remote valve control

Afaik left valve open at idle then closes to about 3k revs at which point both valves open and all hell breaks loose! Surely you'll be permanently deaf if you have that noise at all rpm?!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Afaik left valve open at idle then closes to about 3k revs at which point both valves open and all hell breaks loose! Surely you'll be permanently deaf if you have that noise at all rpm?!

TX.

I have the valve remote on the S3 and I can say now, if I do get an RS it will be the first thing going on when I get home. What ruins the RS cold start (still love it) is how the valves shut after 5 seconds or so, it sounds a little silly... you need that bark permanently ;)

I don't think you appreciate how loud it is though, if they gave out asbo's for cars ;)

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I don't think you appreciate how loud it is though, if they gave out asbo's for cars ;)

TX.

It is easy to forget I agree, yes.

I can remember being in a showroom and the salesman started the car up 15 metres away ready for a test drive. All doors to the showroom closed and it's all you could hear, very impressive haha.

Reactions: Terminator x
So this is different to the remote versions ? This is louder ? So basically for every drive select mode you can choose permanently on or off or normal drive select parameters ? I wanted to get the asr version as it was simpler to fit. But that does not get as loud as this ?

So this is different to the remote versions ? This is louder ? So basically for every drive select mode you can choose permanently on or off or normal drive select parameters ? I wanted to get the asr version as it was simpler to fit. But that does not get as loud as this ?

Open exhaust is open exhaust its not magic! If you open manually as I do with a simple switch for 2-3£ than it is open already all other gadgets are doing the same that is "open the valves" but in a different way and of course higher cost. I think also MTM/ASR/K-Electronics or whatever you choose is okey but still the same result in the end.

Not quite. The module from K-electronic not only controls the valves from the drive select options, but also from the traction control button to override. So for example open valves even though you are in comfort or close even though in Dynamic.

However it also importantly opens the valves from 5000rpm in case you left them closed but then booted it. This is to protect the engine.

The adjustability is better than a simple on off switch in my opinion. And of course no wiring changed or switches to add to the car anywhere. Keeps it all oem.

Not quite. The module from K-electronic not only controls the valves from the drive select options, but also from the traction control button to override. So for example open valves even though you are in comfort or close even though in Dynamic.

However it also importantly opens the valves from 5000rpm in case you left them closed but then booted it. This is to protect the engine.

The adjustability is better than a simple on off switch in my opinion. And of course no wiring changed or switches to add to the car anywhere. Keeps it all oem.

To be fair, none of these gadgets or mods are more or less oem. The minute you change something that isn't installed/manufactured by Audi it isn't oem but they can't perhaps see or find it right away. Closed flaps and then floor it, who does that? I haven't locked it ever and I am not gonna do it either - no point in that. It's good and nice to have options but it comes with a price which is not oem and will invalidate probably exhaust/flaps but that everyone knows already, right?

Still confused as someone on another post said something about not liking the mtm one as it didnt make much difference ? I thought they all did more or less the same thing but in different ways ? Id like to get the one thats going to be the easiest to fit and basically let me open both valves permanently in any drive mode. Ie dynamic isnt permanently open. Do all these modules keep both valves open or just one ? Anybody got experience of all three ? Could you give us an explanation of pros and cons for each. Do they all keep both valves open or not. Is there a difference in sound between them in fully open mode ? Is one louder than the other ?

I have one of these modules for sale as I'm going down the custom exhaust route, get in touch for details :)

How much time does it take to install this? Is it easy? I will have to buy it, during cold starts the valves open and close randomly and when they open it is LOUD. I love it but neighbours and family dont.