RS3 RS Design Red Air Vents Review

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I ordered some red air vents as you get on the RS design pack from vagmall.com on the 14th March.

I waited two weeks as my order was still pending and then started emailing them for updates. I sent 4 emails and several messages via their online messaging system and had no reply. So I opened a paypal dispute. My order changed to cancelled. About a week later they posted the items and they arrived today.

I have mixed feelings about what they sent me, they are clearly not genuine vents that are in the colour that Audi sells with the RS design pack.

They look to me to be standard vents that have been painted. I can tell this from the fact there are tiny chips and marks on the red inserts. It is also clear they have been taken apart and reassembled as they do not line up perfectly and the part number stickers have been removed from the parts.

Having said all that - they look like the real thing and they work like air vents would. The imperfections are small and I do not want to return them however I also feel that they haven’t sent me what they suggested they would.

But it looks good. Here are some photos - any thoughts from anyone?

d79361e9f34128b71bff4be8f9187d82.jpg
bf4a5179d0d7bd524fc2415bb1253b71.jpg
52cc917b8eba4d25052e3ee483132d08.jpg
20ca4d498dcb1f81462f6755bfb9d75d.jpg
8d1f1c56281c154a7c746eb89b3f47aa.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
They do brighten up the car and kind of match your red stitching on fbsw. I’m just not sure they genuine Audi article. The red don’t seem quite right. I could be wrong off course.

They were £240 including postage. They are A3 vents. But not clearly OEM in red. I don’t know if the colour is correct or not.

Not that anyone would know different. Ideally I’d get a refund from Paypal and get to keep them but not sure how to go about that.

But to be clear I do like them and it’s much better inside with them.

Not sure if it's the way the camera is picking up the colour or not but like Sandra said, the red does seem off to me also. Then again, I doubt most will notice and if you like them then that's all that matters. Whatever floats your boat and all that.

This is the OEM colour.

cb2af795d28f9f991202ed72a13a5434.jpg

02279f8a7970ce22d47ce88180950027.jpg

And mine:

ec9778d3bf256749d1ae14f5c976ec65.jpg

They look the same to me... but the fact I have some imperfections in the paint and that they are moving more when being used and not clicking like the OEM ones means they are not the same. Having said that they work. They look the same and they were cheaper. And possibly I could get a refund. We will see.

Last edited:
Did you say they were only £60 cheaper? For me, I'd rather have the proper items from Audi.

They price of the OEM ones is £89.22 each so £357.88 total (I checked the price first). So £100 more expensive.

I did think it was OEM but cheaper because its coming from China - that was my belief.

One of them still had the part sticker on it which is: 81A.820.901 A - which from a quick search is the black and silver like on the Q2 and not what they sent me which supports my theory that the silver part was painted. Although as I said it looks to be the same colour as the actual parts.

Reactions: @wheelsmove_us rs3
Nearly £400 on air vents, ****** hell thats steep.

Reactions: RS3 S. and (deleted member)
I couldn’t live with the imperfections. For non OEM items, there would need to be a substantial savings to satisfy my OCD!

Reactions: AudiNutta, @wheelsmove_us rs3, drgav2005 and 5 others
Your aff yer heed big man, why you not just paint yours ?
For me it looks gash with wee chips and that, get shot of them and get yours done properly or get gen ones.

## Not an RS3 driver ##
Am I missing something here, paying hundreds of pounds for an air vent that has a red circle around it? Or is there some other difference to what was in your car already?

They do look cool though, don't think I would be too happy though with the imperfections for that price!

Reactions: Evil Diesel
I didn't spec the RS Design pack because I didn't think I really needed it and the car was expensive enough as it was at £55k. In hindsight I would have specced it now for the matching red stitching to my seats and wheel.

But I really liked the red vents - so £250 is £100 less than the OEM. For me thats a good saving - and I paid that because I didn't want to spend £350 on the Audi sourced vents because it is a lot.

To paint my own existing vents would be more tricky as they have the large silver surround and the accent is black - I expect the finish of the back section wouldn't look right against the dashboard. It would be much easier for me to repaint the red accents if the chipping gets worse. But it shouldn't as they are now installed.

I expected OEM red vents and that's not what I got. So to find its been painted means it is not what I ordered. But they look good and those imperfections are not enough of a big deal that I would want to spend an extra £100.

As long as you like them mate, that’s all that matters in your car :icon thumright:

The little imperfections would really get to me personally and I’d want the company to replace them... although that sounds easier said that done with the way they have been with you so far

The OEM ones are a metallic red - when I look close there are definitely metallic flecks in the finish. Those copies look like a flat red from the photo.

Now I know how much they cost - I should have been more careful when I pulled out the centres to fit a phone mount!!!

The OEM ones are a metallic red - when I look close there are definitely metallic flecks in the finish. Those copies look like a flat red from the photo.

Now I know how much they cost - I should have been more careful when I pulled out the centres to fit a phone mount!!!

Your right in that they are flat - you can’t see however that the OEM has a mettalic colour to it.

Any chance anyone you can take some photos please to show the colours?

Prefer the PFL RS3 red air vents personally, someone had listed a genuine set on the classifieds recently for £200 which is quite cheap. Managed to luckily get mine for £180 off eBay brand new.

Attachments

• EFD338BE-C8D8-40AE-9BA5-240779641E3F.jpeg
    EFD338BE-C8D8-40AE-9BA5-240779641E3F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 344
Reactions: randy4 and jimojameso
Prefer the PFL RS3 red air vents personally, someone had listed a genuine set on the classifieds recently for £200 which is quite cheap. Managed to luckily get mine for £180 off eBay brand new.

I had those - it may have been my advert. But I didn’t like the silver surrounds.

That’s why I wanted the RS design vents. I did actually consider picking up the old style with the diffuser feature (like the ones you have) in black and then buying the red rings separately as you can get them off eBay. But I had already ordered theses so didn’t want to mess around with buying some and changing the colour rings.

Maybe those ones will make your car go faster - because they've been chipped.

Reactions: morgan306, Jassyo06, Terminator x and 5 others
Maybe those ones will make your car go faster - because they've been chipped.

Lol there is actually only a couple or small inperfections and they are OEM vents - just the red was painted on. I bought them because I have red stitching and they match and look better to me.

I do have a dispute open with eBay from before (which I imagine will be settled in their favour as it was for non delivery) but when a desicion is made I will open a not as described dispute if its for them. However I would prefer to keep them. It is still a £100 cheaper and no one would even even know they are not OEM red who gets in my car.

I doubt anyone would have even questioned it if I hadn’t said they were not from Audi direct.

Totally understood - the damage would put me off though - should be swapped out. Don't really see the attraction in the first place though.

No one can see the damage - its only if you stare at them closely. But I doubt id be able to easily get a replacement.

They price of the OEM ones is £89.22 each so £357.88 total (I checked the price first). So £100 more expensive.

I did think it was OEM but cheaper because its coming from China - that was my belief.

One of them still had the part sticker on it which is: 81A.820.901 A - which from a quick search is the black and silver like on the Q2 and not what they sent me which supports my theory that the silver part was painted. Although as I said it looks to be the same colour as the actual parts.

I would love to get myself a set of those.. they're like $1300 for an OEM set at my local dealer here in Toronto. If you happen to find another source for the vents would you be able to let me know, I would love a set. They set the interior off with the red trim.

Your right in that they are flat - you can’t see however that the OEM has a mettalic colour to it.

Any chance anyone you can take some photos please to show the colours?

It's frustratingly difficult to photograph. The first photo is daylight - so doesn't show the metallic paint finish that well.

The second is in the dark - which shows the metallic effect better. It looks like metallic paint with a clear coat. Tough to tell how it's applied - but it's not flat.

RS3   1 4

RS3   1 5

It's frustratingly difficult to photograph. The first photo is daylight - so doesn't show the metallic paint finish that well.

The second is in the dark - which shows the metallic effect better. It looks like metallic paint with a clear coat. Tough to tell how it's applied - but it's not flat.

View attachment 152804

View attachment 152805

I can definitely see it on the second photo. Thanks!

Let’s see what happens with my dispute - if I get a refund then I may just pay the extra - although its an extra £100 so that’s no nothing.

I would love to get myself a set of those.. they're like $1300 for an OEM set at my local dealer here in Toronto. If you happen to find another source for the vents would you be able to let me know, I would love a set. They set the interior off with the red trim.

Pm Sent

I can definitely see it on the second photo. Thanks!

Let’s see what happens with my dispute - if I get a refund then I may just pay the extra - although its an extra £100 so that’s no nothing.
For me mate if you haven’t already done it I would spend the £400 on AWG ghost. But if you have then I will go sit back in the corner :tearsofjoy:

They look better than the chrome vents that's for sure, the chrome vents look cheap in my opinion like a kids plastic/chrome toy pistol

They look better than the chrome vents that's for sure, the chrome vents look cheap in my opinion like a kids plastic/chrome toy pistol
Wash your mouth out fella :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jassyo06
Does anyone know the part number for the red air vents?

The part number is 81A 820 901 C which is Vent Soul (black)/red.

I managed to get a deal of 4 OEM from Audi for £240 (£60 each) so I have ordered them. I will get a refund on my fake ones from PayPal but if not I will see them on although I would rather have a full refund than lose money on resale.

The ones with the red inside are the business. Might treat myself to a set myself if I can track some down.

The ones with the red inside are the business. Might treat myself to a set myself if I can track some down.
Checkout the sale section JajA3sline is selling some