RS3 Rebuild Project

deanshaw24

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, for anyone that’s interested I’ve bought a crashed RS3 and will be documenting the repair process on YouTube! Give it a view if it’s interesting to you, first time doing anything like this. Thanks Dean

Reactions: lea323ci, Chris-P, 45bvtc and 3 others
Nice video , and I look forward to watching your progress with interest

Reactions: deanshaw24
Subscribed.
I do enjoy this sort of video and hope your project goes well.
One bit of constructive criticism.. lower the volume of the music. I raised the volume to hear you speak then the music started quite loud.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

Thanks guys! Yeah I noticed that after I posted the video that the music volumn was quite a bit higher! Wont happen again :)

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Looks fantastic Dean, look forward to your progress with this. :)

ooohhh well done you. Looks like fun

Rebuild it into a 3 door 8p shell and have something unique.

Reactions: Eren S3, S. and Sandra
Part 2 is live! :)

Reactions: lea323ci, Percy Mathelemusa, Daveyonthemove and 2 others
So glad it started Dean. Looking forward to the next video. Subscribed to your channel so I shouldn’t miss anything. :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and deanshaw24
So glad it started Dean. Looking forward to the next video. Subscribed to your channel so I shouldn’t miss anything. :)
Thanks Sandra :) So was I! I was worried the engine was going to be knackered! And as we all know they will not be cheap! Also didn’t know if anyone had tampered with it before I got it! You just never know. Lucky I found that big fuse as I’ve never known of an airbag switched fuse before!

Reactions: Sandra
What a superb exercise Dean, well done you. Great videos, I'll be watching with great interest.

Oh, and there are 14k mile 2011 8P RS3's out there, I have one... :racer:

Reactions: Sandra and deanshaw24
What a superb exercise Dean, well done you. Great videos, I'll be watching with great interest.

Oh, and there are 14k mile 2011 8P RS3's out there, I have one... :racer:
Awesome! What I should have said it that’s none for sale with that low mileage haha :footy:

Reactions: Sandra and 45bvtc
Nice pair off wingbacks would look nice once finished , excellent video again

Reactions: 45bvtc
Awesome! What I should have said it that’s none for sale with that low mileage haha :footy:

Not for sale just yet, Dean, a couple more years yet as it was always going to be a 10-year car; unfortunately health issues have prevented us adding more miles - plus there's the TT and A1 to exercise as well.... :racer:

Respectfully suggest you move this thread to the 8P RS3 section, I nearly missed it... :respekt:

Nice to see you are making progress on this. A knackered engine could be the difference between a rebuild or a breakers project I imagine?

Not for sale just yet, Dean, a couple more years yet as it was always going to be a 10-year car; unfortunately health issues have prevented us adding more miles - plus there's the TT and A1 to exercise as well.... :racer:

Respectfully suggest you move this thread to the 8P RS3 section, I nearly missed it... :respekt:
I was going to but there’s barely any action over there so didn’t bother. I will add though :)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Nice to see you are making progress on this. A knackered engine could be the difference between a rebuild or a breakers project I imagine?
On a 2.0tdi, possibly not as the engine is fairly cheap to repair or replace. But the 2.5 turbo engine is very expensive to repair and replace. So if it was knackered I would have to consider breaking it or selling it on. But luckily, she runs smooth :thumbs up:

Reactions: Sandra, 45bvtc and Daveyonthemove
Very nice work, I take it you’re a pro mechanic? Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid for it.

Enjoyed the vids, good luck and keep it up!

Very nice work, I take it you’re a pro mechanic? Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid for it.
I used to be a technician for Audi and vw for 5 years so I guess I am a pro haha!

How much do you think it’s worth? Would be interesting to see how other people would value it.

Reactions: Forecast.bucket.s
I used to be a technician for Audi and vw for 5 years so I guess I am a pro haha!

How much do you think it’s worth? Would be interesting to see how other people would value it.

I’d pay maybe 7k ?

How do you value a complete gamble ?

It’s almost as unknown as those ‘surprise’ boxes you can buy off the dark net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it depends what insurance cat it is ? even cat D or N will clobber its value and a lot of companies wouldnt insure it again.
that said no one does restorations to make money, i have done a few and you need to really want to own the car because money in never = money back.

No idea what you did pay for it, but I think I'd limit my budget to £5k knowing how much the body panels alone would cost to replace, and there are always some hidden nasties. Then there is the airbags, dash and seatbelt tensioners. It adds up quickly and I'm not sure I could justify much more than £5k when I'd expect to be paying the same to get it back to a roadworthy and enjoyable state.

Dave a half decent respray will be £3-4 k alone. It costs a £1k + to get motorcycles resprayed properly. :)

Reactions: deanshaw24 and Daveyonthemove
Just to give you an idea of the stupid value of these cars... haha

I was watching one on copart in red that the front end had been stripped, the engine and gearbox had been removed and not included in the sale. Front end parts were in the boot. I was going to buy that car and take off all I needed and sell it on. But it sold at auction for £7200 plus about £450 of fees on top. INSANE! (The car was a 2011 with 52k on the Speedo)

I valued my car at about 24k if it was straight. Being a cat N I reckon it’s worth around 16/17k, with the low mileage. (The cheapest I found on the net was a cat s rs3 at £16995 but that had done 55k miles)

I will do a video at some point about all costs involved. But I paid £11,000 for it. I know it’s a lot. I will need to be careful with buying parts. But once it’s repaired it will be a great low mileage RS3.

Edit. I know it was a massive gamble but I’m a bid first think later kind of guy haha

Reactions: disk0, paddy, Daveyonthemove and 1 other person
Just to give you an idea of the stupid value of these cars... haha

I was watching one on copart in red that the front end had been stripped, the engine and gearbox had been removed and not included in the sale. Front end parts were in the boot. I was going to buy that car and take off all I needed and sell it on. But it sold at auction for £7200 plus about £450 of fees on top. INSANE! (The car was a 2011 with 52k on the Speedo)

I valued my car at about 24k if it was straight. Being a cat N I reckon it’s worth around 16/17k, with the low mileage. (The cheapest I found on the net was a cat s rs3 at £16995 but that had done 55k miles)

I will do a video at some point about all costs involved. But I paid £11,000 for it. I know it’s a lot. I will need to be careful with buying parts. But once it’s repaired it will be a great low mileage RS3.

Edit. I know it was a massive gamble but I’m a bid first think later kind of guy haha

11K wow, insane for a smashed up motor, but the RS3 does command ££££s.. If you're happy with that and the end product then that's all that matters.

They'll be people with opinions of 'you've been ripped' etc but as above as long you're happy with the end result and the money you have in it who cares.

Liked the videos so far.

11K wow, insane for a smashed up motor, but the RS3 does command ££££s.. If you're happy with that and the end product then that's all that matters.

They'll be people with opinions of 'you've been ripped' etc but as above as long you're happy with the end result and the money you have in it who cares.

Liked the videos so far.
Yes It does sound a lot, but I won it at an auction. It wasnt a massive sticker price that I paid in full for, it was an auction that had multiple bidders all bidding over 10k. At the end of the day an item is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. And there were plenty of bids over 10k. So I’m not overly concerned of the value. And as I say there was a red on with no engine or gearbox that sold for over £7500.

Thanks for the videos, hopefully I will improve and sound less like a robot haha

Reactions: Goner, Sandra and Forecast.bucket.s
Yes It does sound a lot, but I won it at an auction. It wasnt a massive sticker price that I paid in full for, it was an auction that had multiple bidders all bidding over 10k. At the end of the day an item is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. And there were plenty of bids over 10k. So I’m not overly concerned of the value. And as I say there was a red on with no engine or gearbox that sold for over £7500.

Thanks for the videos, hopefully I will improve and sound less like a robot haha

I applaud you for doing this. The reason why so many people watch these type of projects on YouTube is because not many people can pull it off and by sharing your experience you’re expanding everyone’s knowledge.

Also, you can’t put a price on your own knowledge and the experience gained by taking on this challenge

I hope it all works out

Reactions: Daveyonthemove, deanshaw24 and Sandra
I applaud you for doing this. The reason why so many people watch these type of projects on YouTube is because not many people can pull it off and by sharing your experience you’re expanding everyone’s knowledge.

Also, you can’t put a price on your own knowledge and the experience gained by taking on this challenge

I hope it all works out

Yeah I do enjoy fixing cars, I am lucky and have a perfect set up for it and my job can be flexible which gives me time to do the work. I enjoy watching build projects on YouTube so thought why don’t I try it myself!

Are you going to use it as a daily or are you going all Richard Rawlings from Fast & Loud and trying to 'flip' it for a profit?

Are you going to use it as a daily or are you going all Richard Rawlings from Fast & Loud and trying to 'flip' it for a profit?
I am going to daily it, I won’t keep it forever as I never keep cars for very long! I haven’t done it for profit, the idea of it was to start my own YouTube channel and see how it goes. Obviously if it proves successful there will be a point I need to sell it to be able to afford the next project. As long as I don’t lose money on it I don’t care :)

I am going to daily it, I won’t keep it forever as I never keep cars for very long! I haven’t done it for profit, the idea of it was to start my own YouTube channel and see how it goes. Obviously if it proves successful there will be a point I need to sell it to be able to afford the next project. As long as I don’t lose money on it I don’t care :)

I see.

You could be the next Mike Brewer (Wheeler Dealers).

'Dean the Dealer'.

Totally off topic dean but here's my latest rebuild...just to prove you are not the only mad man here.....and i paid £8k for this rusty frame and box of bits with an annihilated head so dont feel to bad...:)

http://www.ducatipaddy.com/page34.html

Makes the guy sound like a drug dealer ha.

Great content dean, have subscribed. A lot different to the norm on here so nice to see. Keep it going bud
Haha yeah it does!

Nice on Thankyou mate. Hopefully next video will be tomorrow evening :)

Reactions: smurfworth

Part 3 is live now! :)

Reactions: Goner, 45bvtc, Sandra and 1 other person
If your honeycombed part off the grille is fine then all you need to do is unclip the trim and you can replace it with most 8P trim from there grille's or even aftermarket . Only way I know this is my son changed over mine on my last grille . and I am sure another member changed his chrome to Black on his RS3 one .