RS3 (PFL) vs RS3 (FL)

Surely choice between buying an PFL vs FL simply comes down to how much you can afford to spend/whether you want an old car or a new one?

I didn't even consider an old PFL car, noisy ASBO exhaust or not

Reactions: DW81
Has anyone done a drag or rolling race between a stock pfl vs fl

I 1/8th of a mile drag raced an stg2 pfl on racefuel in my stock FL on 99 best of 3. 2 times i lost by a car length 1 i won

I 1/8th of a mile drag raced an stg2 pfl on racefuel in my stock FL on 99 best of 3. 2 times i lost by a car length 1 i won
Yours can't be standard then?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yes was then 100%. Facelift get off the line way better
I had an MRC stage 1 PFL and certainly once rolling it was significantly faster than a FL. FL does seem to launch better though it seems.

A S2 PFL on race fuel must be 480hp vs your 400hp FL, seems a bit strange.

TX.

My car made a little over 400 in stock form and is lighter with a newer chassis. 480 I can't say and I think bit high but never was dyno'd so is just speculating. It was flashed at the event for 109 and run. Anyway many see it as was at a big event and was video'd. Over a longer distance, it was faster and you could see it but as I said off the line side by side head's up racing not much in it. Thats the real world

Last edited:
Fair play Si. A stage 2 PFL is at least 450 so mega Ron fuel must push that right up is all I mean.

TX.

Reactions: TTE Si
Great read D0C. I didn’t have the budget for a FL, but I’m verry happy with my PFL. The tuning compaired to the PFL is much better, but the sound is just do damn addictive in the PFL. Although I have the RS exhaust option, it’s actually damn noisy, even with the valves shut, comfort mode. I don’t mind but my wife hates it

Reactions: grainqey, NevMan, Terminator x and 2 others
Great read D0C. I didn’t have the budget for a FL, but I’m verry happy with my PFL. The tuning compaired to the PFL is much better, but the sound is just do damn addictive in the PFL. Although I have the RS exhaust option, it’s actually damn noisy, even with the valves shut, comfort mode. I don’t mind but my wife hates it
Best colour as well mate..

Reactions: [M]ike
I’ve been looking for a while, drove 2016 today, sounded fantastic, but want a 2017/18. Discount now appearing on 2019 though, is it night and day between 2018 and 2019 ?
Assume 2018 sounds same as 2016 ?

Still not seen a documented video of a drag race between a PFL and an FL...

There's nothing at all on the web.

Reactions: Goubo1
I’ve been looking for a while, drove 2016 today, sounded fantastic, but want a 2017/18. Discount now appearing on 2019 though, is it night and day between 2018 and 2019 ?
FL gained BHP but lost the pops & bangs. Exhaust seems to be the only gripe with the FL.

Reactions: NevMan

It goes PFL > FL > FL (with PPF) in terms of exhaust sound. I think you could get an FL sounding like a PFL but it'd take quite a bit of aftermarket work.

Reactions: Djpfrozenp
Still not seen a documented video of a drag race between a PFL and an FL...

There's nothing at all on the web.

I’d like to see this too...I had a rolling race with a local FL car mine is PFL from 30 to over 120 and wasn’t even a car length in it

Felt no quicker vs my PFL when I test drove a FL.

TX.

Felt no quicker vs my PFL when I test drove a FL.

TX.

Ditto. Although there are a few videos around that do show the FL launching better than the PFL. But as you say, didn’t feel much different. FL slightly better in the upper reaches of the rev band perhaps.

Ditto. Although there are a few videos around that do show the FL launching better than the PFL. But as you say, didn’t feel much different. FL slightly better in the upper reaches of the rev band perhaps.
Until mapped then bye bye PFL :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Until mapped then bye bye PFL :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Ah well, that’s a different story!

Did you ever get to drive yourself a mapped PFL? Such a big difference. 100hp extra at 4000rpm and stacks more torque...yes please!

Ah well, that’s a different story!

Did you ever get to drive yourself a mapped PFL? Such a big difference. 100hp extra at 4000rpm and stacks more torque...yes please!
Never did, must be nuts? Fivepotfan is about 500hp!

TX.

Drove a 2019 today, a truely rapid car but almost no exhaust noise.

What a shame.. I guess all cars are headed that way however.. time will tell how all the AMG/M/RS cars sound in the future. My bet is everyone with a pfl and current rs3 (non PPF) bought themself a gem which will never be available again ;)

Drove a new RS5 last week, sounded pretty nice still so it's not all. Not been in a brand new RS3 to compare to mine yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a shame.. I guess all cars are headed that way however.. time will tell how all the AMG/M/RS cars sound in the future. My bet is everyone with a pfl and current rs3 (non PPF) bought themself a gem which will never be available again ;)
Moving forward, more and more cars with have sound actuators I reckon

Moving forward, more and more cars with have sound actuators I reckon

Does look like it, as far as I know the rs3 dosen't have a sound actuator at all? I know on the R/S3 is was very obvious when you switched it off..

I came across this article for the new a45
https://www.caradvice.com.au/778969/mercedes-amg-a45-cla45-exhaust/

“The regulations were getting pretty difficult for the sound to just come from the exhaust system,” Bogenschutz told CarAdvice.

“So we added the AMG pure performance sound, there we take the real sound from the exhaust system, the pulsation of the real sound and move it inside the car. It works together with the exhaust system.”

Fancy way of saying sound actuator lol..goes on to say that the pops and crackles will have disappeared as well. What the new rs3 with the emissions filter has going for it is that the 5pot still sounds great by itself, obviously lacks the pops/bangs/gurgles of the pfl and early fl models but still. The A45 with none of those crackles will sound average as heck being a 2L 4cyl. The only 4cyl which sounds good imo is the STi and that's partly because of the unique uel headers and boxer rumble. The downfall of ICE cars is beginning :crushed:

Haha, that is a fancy way of saying we are adding fake sound! Many are doing this now. ICE days are definitely limited.

Does look like it, as far as I know the rs3 dosen't have a sound actuator at all? I know on the R/S3 is was very obvious when you switched it off..

I came across this article for the new a45
https://www.caradvice.com.au/778969/mercedes-amg-a45-cla45-exhaust/

“The regulations were getting pretty difficult for the sound to just come from the exhaust system,” Bogenschutz told CarAdvice.

“So we added the AMG pure performance sound, there we take the real sound from the exhaust system, the pulsation of the real sound and move it inside the car. It works together with the exhaust system.”

Fancy way of saying sound actuator lol..goes on to say that the pops and crackles will have disappeared as well. What the new rs3 with the emissions filter has going for it is that the 5pot still sounds great by itself, obviously lacks the pops/bangs/gurgles of the pfl and early fl models but still. The A45 with none of those crackles will sound average as heck being a 2L 4cyl. The only 4cyl which sounds good imo is the STi and that's partly because of the unique uel headers and boxer rumble. The downfall of ICE cars is beginning :crushed:

Yeah you can see it in the Shmee video of the A45 S, the start up noise and idle revving is so quiet, doesn't seem like a performance car at all and is quieter than the A35. He must really like Drift mode but I have no idea why he ended up buying one. (Although he's already got 2 focus RS's with drift mode).

Yeah you can see it in the Shmee video of the A45 S, the start up noise and idle revving is so quiet, doesn't seem like a performance car at all and is quieter than the A35. He must really like Drift mode but I have no idea why he ended up buying one. (Although he's already got 2 focus RS's with drift mode).

Just watched a few videos of it and my gosh does it sound bland.. uninspiring even

Reactions: infernox
Just watched a few videos of it and my gosh does it sound bland.. uninspiring even
Bad days for petrolheads, new cars sounding worse and worse. May have to go backwards for the next car e.g. older.

TX.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, grainqey, Adi7r and 1 other person
Carwow actually just made a video comparing the new A45S with the old A45. I think the 6% are who voted the new one sounds better must be people who've ordered one lol. This is the PFL A45 which is why the 0-60 time is 4.8 seconds, slower than Golf R and S3. 4.2 seconds for the RS3 FL seems slower than what other people have gotten, has the PPF made it slower?

Carwow actually just made a video comparing the new A45S with the old A45. I think the 6% are who voted the new one sounds better must be people who've ordered one lol. This is the PFL A45 which is why the 0-60 time is 4.8 seconds, slower than Golf R and S3. 4.2 seconds for the RS3 FL seems slower than what other people have gotten, has the PPF made it slower?

My PFL RS3 got to 60 in 3.6s timed at Rockingham.

TX.

Reactions: DW81 and NevMan
Is there any problems with carbon build up on pfl? I know fl has dual injectors.

Interesting video comparing PFL and FL cars.

Interesting video comparing PFL and FL cars.

Lol. A bit behind in that we already know most of the things he’s saying.

I’ve always thought the FL handles way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk