RS3 (PFL) vs RS3 (FL)

Yep just gotta face facts...... it I.S a better overall car... ( well it should be for the price and the advancements in technology) end of.... others just need to get over it and move on I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Evotion and AudiNutta
He's referring to Craig. I don't think any PFL owners have disputed that the FL is a better all round car, although other than the handling the improvements are small, with the sound the one big fail.

To continue with the analogies though, do you prefer the prim and proper quiet wife who cooks, cleans and never swears, or the filthy b**** who gives you the thrills while you pay the bills? It's all personal preference.

Reactions: Radman, FBF01 and Terminator x
He’s just gutted he got the old one.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shhhhh RVP :p

This will be never ending, haha. Keeping quiet and just waiting to enjoy my car, I’m not going to be disappointed so let’s just keep that to ourselves.

Reactions: RVP20
Here’s one

A haggered wife who looks good for her age but has a big gob... or a younger version who isn’t so gobby but has nice perky tits and all the trimmings to go with it
........ Hmmmmm

Reactions: seanbeckerleg, Bristle Hound, Evotion and 4 others
Here’s one

A haggered wife who looks good for her age but has a big gob... or a younger version who isn’t so gobby but has nice perky tits and all the trimmings to go with it
........ Hmmmmm

:lmfao:

The perky bit got me

People get very precious around PFL v FL whether it is S3, RS3 etc. Let’s all play nicely, we are all paying top whack for our pride and joy.

Reactions: Jassyo06, ice_cube99, Terminator x and 1 other person
People get very precious around PFL v FL whether it is S3, RS3 etc. Let’s all play nicely, we are all paying top whack for our pride and joy.
Nono, ha. it is all a joke and banter. Everyone knows that.

There are 2 undisputable facts:

PFL sounds better.
FL IS better

It's all a laugh.

Reactions: seanbeckerleg, FBF01, TYb and 3 others
I'm pretty sure the PFL owners have admitted defeat if only marginally ;) still at least we had ours for about 2 years before the FL arrived :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FBF01
I'm pretty sure the PFL owners have admitted defeat if only marginally ;) still at least we had ours for about 2 years before the FL arrived :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
Honestly, I would rather have my PFL. Had the chance to change into a FL for minimal outlay and would probably have been a more sensible decision, newer car/more warranty etc, but my whole reason for ditching the Golf R and getting the RS3 was for the noise and drama. As I've said, everyone has different priorities. If it's to have a virtual dash and crisp handling, the FL is the way to go. If it's noise and drama, the PFL. There's no right or wrong, both great.

Reactions: Evotion, Radman, Bristle Hound and 2 others
After having driven Ttrs and rs3 saloon unaccompanied for extended test drives, here are my own thoughts.

The pops and bangs are completely gone on the alu block which is a real shame, you do get the occasional pop if you leave the gearstick in sport, car in dynamic then don't touch the paddles.

Under load, the car sounds absolutely fine, sounds awesome in fact, I understand where people are coming from here saying its more refined, it is when under load - sounds spot on and I have no issues with it.

Off load the engine sounds rubbish, it sounds completely artificial as if its trying to get its sound out through a straw, sounds like air, similar artificial exhaust note as the F8x M series cars. Doesn't sound that much better than a fl s3 with res delete tbh and that was having both cars side by side, they now both sound as artificial as each other.

The engine has lost its character, the only time it sounds good is under WOT and it isn't anywhere near as loud as the pre fl either.

Having driven the RS3 saloon and TTRS on the edge, personally to me the weight off the nose of the car doesn't justify losing all the character from the exhaust note, the reality is it is still going to understeer, yeah it will understeer LESS but it will still understeer. The pre fl understeery characteristics of the car still exist and when driven at the edge it will understeer all the same albeit less. It is not a night and day difference to the pre fl. The golf R/s3 are still the better handling cars.

The brakes are awesome now on the fl. I have no issues with the performance aspect of the brakes. The pre fl brakes were trash.

The haldex seems to be more engaging now and its easier to get the back end out on an alu block car. Definitely the most engaging haldex out of all MQB cars in the VAG range.

Things like virtual dash etc I all had on my pre fl car so no point commenting on stuff like that.

The stock turbo tunability aspect does not interest me, what does interest me however is the efficiency of the engine and I have yet to see conclusive evidence that this engine is indeed more efficient than the iron block engine. It is certainly more complex, but is it more efficient? It's yet to be seen. The aluminium block isn't lined either, the cylinders are simply coated so the reliability of the engine when running 700/800nm of torque is yet to be seen.

My TTRS is due for delivery in March and I have made the decision (unless something drastically changes in regards to engine efficiency) to swap the engine with a CZGB iron block 5 cylinder for the first two years of its life, to me its a no brainer as the CZGB engine found in the RS3 pre fl is the pinnacle of the iron block 5 cylinder. It would make the TTRS an easy 6/700hp car for me. I'll let others guinea pig their way through the 3 year tuning development cycle.

Reactions: mz21, Jassyo06, Evotion and 4 others
After having driven Ttrs and rs3 saloon unaccompanied for extended test drives, here are my own thoughts.

The pops and bangs are completely gone on the alu block which is a real shame, you do get the occasional pop if you leave the gearstick in sport, car in dynamic then don't touch the paddles.

Under load, the car sounds absolutely fine, sounds awesome in fact, I understand where people are coming from here saying its more refined, it is when under load - sounds spot on and I have no issues with it.

Off load the engine sounds rubbish, it sounds completely artificial as if its trying to get its sound out through a straw, sounds like air, similar artificial exhaust note as the F8x M series cars. Doesn't sound that much better than a fl s3 with res delete tbh and that was having both cars side by side, they now both sound as artificial as each other.

The engine has lost its character, the only time it sounds good is under WOT and it isn't anywhere near as loud as the pre fl either.

Having driven the RS3 saloon and TTRS on the edge, personally to me the weight off the nose of the car doesn't justify losing all the character from the exhaust note, the reality is it is still going to understeer, yeah it will understeer LESS but it will still understeer. The pre fl understeery characteristics of the car still exist and when driven at the edge it will understeer all the same albeit less. It is not a night and day difference to the pre fl. The golf R/s3 are still the better handling cars.

The brakes are awesome now on the fl. I have no issues with the performance aspect of the brakes. The pre fl brakes were trash.

The haldex seems to be more engaging now and its easier to get the back end out on an alu block car. Definitely the most engaging haldex out of all MQB cars in the VAG range.

Things like virtual dash etc I all had on my pre fl car so no point commenting on stuff like that.

The stock turbo tunability aspect does not interest me, what does interest me however is the efficiency of the engine and I have yet to see conclusive evidence that this engine is indeed more efficient than the iron block engine. It is certainly more complex, but is it more efficient? It's yet to be seen. The aluminium block isn't lined either, the cylinders are simply coated so the reliability of the engine when running 700/800nm of torque is yet to be seen.

My TTRS is due for delivery in March and I have made the decision (unless something drastically changes in regards to engine efficiency) to swap the engine with a CZGB iron block 5 cylinder for the first two years of its life, to me its a no brainer as the CZGB engine found in the RS3 pre fl is the pinnacle of the iron block 5 cylinder. It would make the TTRS an easy 6/700hp car for me. I'll let others guinea pig their way through the 3 year tuning development cycle.
Good, honest feedback mate. I think that the exhaust note and general noise of the car as well as the price has surprised audi and the fact that people aren't rushing to buy them all. I remember the PFL were like rocking horse poo very early on in their lifecycle, whereas there is an abundance on FL cars already. Still a fantastic car, but like you said, the sound is very artificial and in an RS car, that isn't good enough. Plain and simple.
Hopefully help the PFL residuals though

Dealer I bought mine through had allocation of 12 sold all of them myself being one of them pick up in March...I’ve noticed quite a big dip in residuals on PFL this month gone down 4K since September...was £30k back in August down to £25k now...

Honestly, I would rather have my PFL. Had the chance to change into a FL for minimal outlay and would probably have been a more sensible decision, newer car/more warranty etc, but my whole reason for ditching the Golf R and getting the RS3 was for the noise and drama. As I've said, everyone has different priorities. If it's to have a virtual dash and crisp handling, the FL is the way to go. If it's noise and drama, the PFL. There's no right or wrong, both great.
Personal preference but like you said I'm happy with the PFL. An RS has to look and sound like one. The PFL does that.

Absol
Dealer I bought mine through had allocation of 12 sold all of them myself being one of them pick up in March...I’ve noticed quite a big dip in residuals on PFL this month gone down 4K since September...was £30k back in August down to £25k now...
Absolute tosh....
IMG 5230

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I noticed in Autotrader that values on PFL have definitely taken a bit of a dip, but only by £2-3k. None anywhere near below £30k, never mind £25k! Unless you mean what the local Ford dealership my give you as a part ex?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yeah below £30k is total lox bol :busted cop:

Some 8P's are still fetching £25k ***

or if that is the case .... I think your Dealer may be taking the pi$$ slightly to get a sale lol

I only got 1k drop on part ex with my dealer over the course of a year, was 36.5 in October 2016 and I have 35.5 secured for March 2018.

Last edited:
Would also like to mention things like virtual dash etc that you will fast get bored off and used to in my experience, the 5 cylinder note on the pre fl is not something you can get used to, it isn't like a song you just get bored of. You don't need to be WOT on the pre fl to appreciate how amazing it sounds, it sounds sublime on part throttle also.

Pops and bangs are another thing, everyone is going on about how they should just get a map to get them on the facelift engine but I have heard a facelift car with mapped in pops and bangs and it didn't sound good to me. It doesn't suit the aluminium block imo and should be left alone, sounds like a 4 cylinder with the pops and bangs. The iron block 5 cylinder suits pops and bangs really well due to the deeper note of the engine. Audi just got it right with that engine and the sports exhaust. If you think back at when the TTRS 8J came out it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the RS3 8V.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evotion and D0C
Yes, I got offered £36.5k back in September when my dealer offered me a swap into a FL. Although BMW offered £32k a week later!!!

That's for a 16 plate, 10k miles nicely specced car.

Good, honest feedback mate. I think that the exhaust note and general noise of the car as well as the price has surprised audi and the fact that people aren't rushing to buy them all. I remember the PFL were like rocking horse poo very early on in their lifecycle, whereas there is an abundance on FL cars already. Still a fantastic car, but like you said, the sound is very artificial and in an RS car, that isn't good enough. Plain and simple.
Hopefully help the PFL residuals though

What about the new RS4/RS5 exhaust sound? To me that's even weaker than the FL RS3.

What does WOT mean?

WOT - wide open throttle.

They sound dire too it seems its just the way cars are getting now. I would never buy an RS4 or RS5.

Oh so WOT is like flooring it right?

Yeah unless you can pay for supercars, it looks like that's what we're stuck with. The Hyundai i30 N sounds better than I thought it would though. It could be that because the 8P RS3 got bad press, that Audi really wanted to step it up for the 8V PFL RS3. Not sure how well the 8P RS3 sold but it looks like the PFL RS3 sold well and it could have made Audi complacent.

Stock RS3 Saloon vs Tuned S3 Saloon
Pretty much neck and neck, on WOT the rs3 does sound stupidly loud.

What about the new RS4/RS5 exhaust sound? To me that's even weaker than the FL RS3.

What does WOT mean?
Totally agree. Audi need to tread very carefully here to avoid alienating existing RS customer base. When I got mine I swore I'd stick to RS products vs now I'm not sure I'll even sell the current one given it goes like stink and sounds better imho than the V6's. The V8 is still mental but who knows if Audi will keep it going.

TX.

Stock RS3 Saloon vs Tuned S3 Saloon
Pretty much neck and neck, on WOT the rs3 does sound stupidly loud.

It is loud and does sound good tbf. Problem is when you already own or owned the PFL.

TX.

Yes, I might be swapping to a Merc V8 the way things are going. I'm now so used to the brutal sound of the PFL that I think I'll struggle to have a more mundane sounding car.

Re the virtual dash, I think I commented that strangely I prefer traditional dials. I know an Audi mechanic on here confirmed the same. VC is a bit too PlayStation for me.

Reactions: Evotion
Yes, I might be swapping to a Merc V8 the way things are going. I'm now so used to the brutal sound of the PFL that I think I'll struggle to have a more mundane sounding car.

Yeah, that would be a good upwards move.
I have heard a few, clearly modified, C63s cars and the noise was like armageddon. Must be a proper mad exhaust and maybe a power mod.

One pulled up next to me in the RS3, when the missus was driving, and gave it the full beans revving...
The only thing I have heard louder, that scared the crap out of me when it pulled alongside, was an Enzo.

It is loud and does sound good tbf. Problem is when you already own or owned the PFL.

TX.
So much debate on pfl v fl noise.....we all know the pfl is louder, we all know it pops bangs and scares the s..t out the neighbours dog...so what?? It's a matter of preference/opinion at the end of the day, me personally I prefer the rs3 in saloon form and that's why I waited and bought 1. Yes I have the sports exhaust which for me is more than sufficient. I bought this car for looks, performance, and practicality after 2 enjoyable years of s3 saloon ownership, not for noise or to tune the hole off it.....cue the....(well why did you get the sports exhaust comments)?? Loved the s3...in love with the Rs3.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x and teslaboy
So much debate on pfl v fl noise.....we all know the pfl is louder, we all know it pops bangs and scares the s..t out the neighbours dog...so what?? It's a matter of preference/opinion at the end of the day, me personally I prefer the rs3 in saloon form and that's why I waited and bought 1. Yes I have the sports exhaust which for me is more than sufficient. I bought this car for looks, performance, and practicality after 2 enjoyable years of s3 saloon ownership, not for noise or to tune the hole off it.....cue the....(well why did you get the sports exhaust comments)?? Loved the s3...in love with the Rs3.

Agreed all bar the saloon bit !! I like the practicality of the sportback.
And personally I think the FL is more than loud enough, plus it sounds way better than pretty much most other cars on the market.
As said by others on here the FL is an improvement in all but noise over the PFL.
I'm looking forward one day to having a race with a PFL

Reactions: Paulo5174

Absolutely fair comments. And I've said that it's all down to personal preference. You will love the RS3, stunning all weather car.

Reactions: Paulo5174
Well the rumours are that Merc aren't sticking with the V8 either so enjoy the C63 while you can. Looks like the next one will be a twin turbo V6??

Viper,Jester,Maverick,Goose,iceman,Cougar.....**** this place is STILL a target rich environment.........but l came over here just because l was a tad bored the night....lol....but glad all is well in Miramar.....nanoo nanoo

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and T-800
Viper,Jester,Maverick,Goose,iceman,Cougar.....**** this place is STILL a target rich environment.........but l came over here just because l was a tad bored the night....lol....but glad all is well in Miramar.....nanoo nanoo

PMSL :)

Holy $hi7 .... it’s Viper :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jassyo06