RS3 PFL Vs RS3 FL

Richievo

Reaction score
Hi All

My names Richard, I've been lurking around the site for awhile but this is my first post!

I own a 2015 Rs3 8v here in New Zealand, that I absolutely love!, with my warranty due to expire next year I'm maybe looking to 'upgrade' to the facelift rs3.

I'm booked in to test drive a FL sedan next week. Will post photos and do a little review.

Just wanting to know if anyone else is looking to trade in their old PFL to a new FL, and whether its worth the upgrade?

The only things that are appealing about the FL (to me) is the virtual dash, extra bhp and supposedly handles a lot better.

Cheers

I will be very keen to hear your opinion on the FL as someone who owns the PFL.

Here we go, can of worms opened ;) I'd like to hear the review too though.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmosis and AudiNutta
As has been mooted in many other posts, not worth the hit you will take in the cost. I agree.

You will hardly, in reality, notice the extra power the alloy engine gives unless you can test it on a track alongside your present one. Handling you might feel a difference, but again, only really if you can have track conditions. And question yourself here - is the handling of our version so terribly bad? I think not!

Like you I always wanted the virtual dash. That was when I thought it was going to be taken from the R8 and TT. It is not. You still have to have that wretched screen bouncing up and down on the dashboard, so I do not see what the virtual dash gives you over the current one - apart from some fancy graphics here and there. So until the VC is a proper VC like the TT or R8, I cannot see the point!

But if you want a car change and cannot look at else on offer, then go ahead!

As has been mooted in many other posts, not worth the hit you will take in the cost. I agree.

You will hardly, in reality, notice the extra power the alloy engine gives unless you can test it on a track alongside your present one. Handling you might feel a difference, but again, only really if you can have track conditions. And question yourself here - is the handling of our version so terribly bad? I think not!

Like you I always wanted the virtual dash. That was when I thought it was going to be taken from the R8 and TT. It is not. You still have to have that wretched screen bouncing up and down on the dashboard, so I do not see what the virtual dash gives you over the current one - apart from some fancy graphics here and there. So until the VC is a proper VC like the TT or R8, I cannot see the point!

But if you want a car change and cannot look at else on offer, then go ahead!

It is the ‘proper’ virtual cockpit. In fact it’s better than the TT and R8 as it allows the passenger to control some functions within the MMI and makes the VC itself easier to use and less cluttered. We have VC in our Q7 and it works really well. Only having controls of entertainment functions in the VC itself like on the TT and R8 would be a pita.

All new Audi’s have apart from the TT and R8 have the dual VC+MMI approach.

Reactions: RS-jay, infernox and dunes7
Hi All

My names Richard, I've been lurking around the site for awhile but this is my first post!

I own a 2015 Rs3 8v here in New Zealand, that I absolutely love!, with my warranty due to expire next year I'm maybe looking to 'upgrade' to the facelift rs3.

I'm booked in to test drive a FL sedan next week. Will post photos and do a little review.

Just wanting to know if anyone else is looking to trade in their old PFL to a new FL, and whether its worth the upgrade?

The only things that are appealing about the FL (to me) is the virtual dash, extra bhp and supposedly handles a lot better.

Cheers
Hello there fellow kiwi! I have a Nardo Sportback on order, build week 35. Are you based in Auckland? If you are, we need to organise an Auckland RS3 meet up one day....

They should have made the VC an option and included the SS seats as standard. I would happily just have normal dials.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
They should have made the VC an option and included the SS seats as standard. I would happily just have normal dials.

It is that way on the US spec, SS's as standard and Tech Pack as an option. UK though,

Supersports are a £795 option.
Tech Pack High (VC) would be a £14-1500 option.

I'm glad that the tech pack is inclusive in the standard spec to be fair. Although I think the Supersports should definitely be too. Typical of UK Audi though, instead of giving us a good combined package they give us the bare bones and then you have to add in costly options.
Sports exhaust for example is pretty much standard everywhere else but is optional in the UK.
I guess they needed to keep it at a £45k type price point though and figured that the Tech Pack High should be standard fit over Sports Exhaust and SS.

Last edited:
I have been here for a long time without being in the discussions. But I do not understand why some already argue in advance that there is not a big difference between pre facelift and facelift. Those who have been driving facelift have noticed that it´s a better car thanks to the lighter engine and updated power distribution in Haldex.

Then if it's worth upgrading it's up to each. But to sit and defend that without even driving the car to point out you will not feel a difference. How do we know that?
Depends on how you usually drive the car, but hardly anyone who buys an RS3 and just wants to drive it around the city. You want to drive a little fast and have fun with it.

Certainly, it's just a facelift but when Audi also makes an upgrade and improvement it's great, not just aesthetically out with lamps deisgn and the grill.

I have also had an RS3 8v, would also be a bit jealous of all these upgrades since the pre facelift has not been around for so long. But as long as you think the pre facelift it's good enough for you.

It is the ‘proper’ virtual cockpit. In fact it’s better than the TT and R8 as it allows the passenger to control some functions within the MMI and makes the VC itself easier to use and less cluttered. We have VC in our Q7 and it works really well. Only having controls of entertainment functions in the VC itself like on the TT and R8 would be a pita.

All new Audi’s have apart from the TT and R8 have the dual VC+MMI approach.
Depends what you want - if you want a screen here and another there bouncing up and down, then yes, yours is the proper VC! For me, simplicity is the byword, so everything on one screen in front of you with all switching on or near the wheel and a nice clean, uncluttered dash is utopia. I mean how many times to you play around with entertainment functions?
I understand that Audi one day will move everything to a single screen, but have to do it gradually.

I have been here for a long time without being in the discussions. But I do not understand why some already argue in advance that there is not a big difference between pre facelift and facelift. Those who have been driving facelift have noticed that it has become better thanks to the easier engine and updated power distribution in Haldex.

Then if it's worth upgrading it's up to each. But to sit and defend that without even driving the car to point out you will not feel a difference. How do we know that?
Depends on how you usually drive the car, but hardly anyone who buys an RS3 and just wants to drive it around the city. You want to drive a little fast and have fun with it.

Certainly, it's just a facelift but when Audi also makes an upgrade and improvement it's great, not just aesthetically out with lamps deisgn and the grill.

I have also had an RS3 8v, would also be a bit jealous of all these upgrades since the pre facelift has not been around for so long. But as long as you think the pre facelift it's good enough for you.
Personally I've already said I'd have a FL and that it's bound to be improved! But the cost to change can't be justified.

Can I ask why you got rid of your RS3 and what you're driving now, out of interest?

Depends what you want - if you want a screen here and another there bouncing up and down, then yes, yours is the proper VC! For me, simplicity is the byword, so everything on one screen in front of you with all switching on or near the wheel and a nice clean, uncluttered dash is utopia. I mean how many times to you play around with entertainment functions?
I understand that Audi one day will move everything to a single screen, but have to do it gradually.
I adjust playlists, music and ent functions many times a day.

Of course, it's a lot of money by changing a car. That's why I wrote that it's up to everyone if you think it's worth or not.

My point was that we can not say that in advance "you will not notice the difference", since there are not many here even who have a test drive or have the car.
But those who have managed to get one of one thinks they are better. Then of course depends on what type of driver you are, you may not be sensitive do not notice the difference while others notice more.

I'm not here to point out who has said what but I notice that there is a defense mechanism against the pre facelift that compares the facelift.

Audi made a repurchase of my RS3 because they failed to repair my brakes, clear coat loosened 3 times plus a lots of other bad things.

Right now I'm looking around. I did not have the RS3 for so long and the sound is unbeatable. Kind a miss that... So it maybe an RS3 again. But if it gets facelift or not. Let's see, I'd like to test drive the facelift first.

Last edited:

This guy seems to notice the difference. Not on a track too. Jeez, another idiot, I guess...

Reactions: EdmundVR4
Hi All,

Interesting range of opinions. Having been reading the various threads on here for a while without contributing too much, I seem to be doing all the wrong things ....... :grinning:

To expand on this:-
My current PFL is Catalunya red and has mag ride
I have this car on a 2 year PCP in the UK that expires in November, won't bore you with why I took such a short lease duration. This has led to me ordering an Ara blue FL sportback to replace it that should arrive more or less on time to replace the PFL without extending the existing PCP by too much.

Obviously being a little tongue-in-cheek about doing the wrong things - I think it interesting to see how different folks are approaching the various topics covered across the forum, and how much individual tastes differ.

BTW, both cars spec'd with sports exhaust so at least I got that right :grinning:

Reactions: Terminator x
Certainly if you are nearing a change on a contract and the cost is minimal - and you want to continue with the A3 style, then the facelift will be great.

The original question asked if the cost might be worth it. In my opinion there will be too much of a hit on the trade in and little in the way of technical goodies to make it exciting. Had the facelift been a complete new design, then another story.

As to the options, it is going to be difficult for you chaps in the UK to spec a decent car and keep under the threshold (is it 40k or 45?).

Bare minimum spec on a new RS3 is £50k. A good spec is more like £52k. Let's not forget that is a PHENOMENAL amount of money for what is still an A3 hatchback, albeit with an incredible engine.

My personal opinion is that if I were to swap out of mine, I'd be looking more at the TTRS and the like.

Ah, sorry - I thought the base was much less. So a buyer is going to be hit with an £800 hike regardless. But smile and be thankful you are in the UK - here in France it is 3000€ regardless of list price on a 189 CO2, and spare a thought for some others - in Portugal I think near enough double this!

I have an 16 month old (16) reasonable spec PFL RS3.. If the only improvement is the VC (which I have in an A4) forget it.. normal dials are just fine in the RS. As for SSSeats, I tried them and for daily driving actually found the standard SS more than adequate and very supportive. Just my 2p!

And, at least with the S seat you get electric adjust! I think it scandulous that a 50k car this day and age does not have electric seats...

And, at least with the S seat you get electric adjust! I think it scandulous that a 50k car this day and age does not have electric seats...
I don't miss them at all. Had a loaner yesterday (oil service due) with electric seats, find them slow and tedious.

Reactions: Frozenr6 and AudiNutta
I'm surprised its taken this long to get this thread to appear TBH lol

Please play nicely folks

Reactions: AudiNutta, Ozmosis and Terminator x
Just press the button to lower the centre screen ;) gone!

TX.

Reactions: JonoNZ
@Macintosh88 we can have a view on the FL without owning one as anyone else one here always stating their opinions on the PFL without owning one! Imho not worth it as very little has changed.

TX.

Bare minimum spec on a new RS3 is £50k. A good spec is more like £52k. Let's not forget that is a PHENOMENAL amount of money for what is still an A3 hatchback, albeit with an incredible engine.

My personal opinion is that if I were to swap out of mine, I'd be looking more at the TTRS and the like.
My exact same car was £56k as FL when the original was mid 40's. As I've said before you're a long time dead though so if people have the £'s do it.

TX.

I'm surprised its taken this long to get this thread to appear TBH lol

Please play nicely folks
You'll see that I'm on best behaviour ;)

TX.

Reactions: James 123, AudiNutta and Bristle Hound
Hi All

Cheers

Look forward to hearing your little review, and see if Audi have improved where they claim.

However, it will not convince me to change mine as I am very happy with it still ;)

It's very strange... feeling of deja vu. I had an original 5 Coupe and cabriolet and loved the 'raging bull' headlights.. the facelift in 2011 ruined the look in my opinion. Minor but I'm always right so that statement is probably true. Can anyone give me a reason why I should swap my 16 month old RS3 for a new one and part with £14000! Same question re Brexit, why are we doing it, what are the benefits... The world has gone flipping mad!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Richievo
Depending on whether the dealership has many bookings on the FL, I'm hoping to have the car overnight for a decent test.
I'll of course give the car a good seeing too around the windy/straight roads, but as mentioned above to really test the FL's new handling and power capabilities I'd need to take it around the track! I know how well my PFL performs so hoping to see a difference.

For fun I'll strap the GoPro to the rear and do a comparison on the exhaust sound, as I've read the FL has a tamed exhaust note with less "pops/bangs" to its predecessor, Which i assume will play a big part with the guys deciding on an upgrade. I know for me it will.

Hello there fellow kiwi! I have a Nardo Sportback on order, build week 35. Are you based in Auckland? If you are, we need to organise an Auckland RS3 meet up one day....

Yes I'm in Auckland, Sounds good man!

Depending on whether the dealership has many bookings on the FL, I'm hoping to have the car overnight for a decent test.
I'll of course give the car a good seeing too around the windy/straight roads, but as mentioned above to really test the FL's new handling and power capabilities I'd need to take it around the track! I know how well my PFL performs so hoping to see a difference.

For fun I'll strap the GoPro to the rear and do a comparison on the exhaust sound, as I've read the FL has a tamed exhaust note with less "pops/bangs" to its predecessor, Which i assume will play a big part with the guys deciding on an upgrade. I know for me it will.

Where are you in the world to hope for an overnight test drive?

I think this is quite rare in the U.K. I've already agreed an extended full day test drive, when I ordered mine and when they get the demo. I might try and push for overnight if others in the UK are getting it....
I will be providing my own insurance too, because I'm 20.

Where are you in the world to hope for an overnight test drive?

I think this is quite rare in the U.K. I've already agreed an extended full day test drive, when I ordered mine and when they get the demo. I might try and push for overnight if others in the UK are getting it....
I will be providing my own insurance too, because I'm 20.

It's very common here in New Zealand.

I would be angry if someone buys it over the weekend! :gun2:

It's very common here in New Zealand.

I would be angry if someone buys it over the weekend! :gun2:

That is where I thought you might have had it from, I know a previous member had one overnight. It is great that you get to do that, you get to hear the cold start too ;)

Hopefully it stays available, I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Can anyone give me a reason why I should swap my 16 month old RS3 for a new one and part with £14000! Same question re Brexit, why are we doing it, what are the benefits... The world has gone flipping mad!

I do not have a reason - maybe wait for the 'all-new' A3 version would be better. And you might be optimistic on your £14k hit depending what spec you had and might have ordered!
Brexit? That's easy. You are doing it to prop up the egos of some doddery old fools who are in desperate need of a facelift, set on seeing those they rule suffer! Or maybe they just have a hate on German cars and want to make everyone suffer by paying more in the form of tariffs...

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I do not have a reason - maybe wait for the 'all-new' A3 version would be better. And you might be optimistic on your £14k hit depending what spec you had and might have ordered!
Brexit? That's easy. You are doing it to prop up the egos of some doddery old fools who are in desperate need of a facelift, set on seeing those they rule suffer! Or maybe they just have a hate on German cars and want to make everyone suffer by paying more in the form of tariffs...
£14k would be the hit for a similar replacement and I'm not doing it.
As for Brexit, think you are spot on! I'm disappointed to see my local dealer no longer fits EU GB plates as standard (Bristol). I am proud to be British and European and hope the price of Audis doesn't go up with the devalued £ . Hoping Brexit doesn't happen as it certainly doesn't seem to be in the interests of Audi owners.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Is that so you can sleep with it to see if your compatible??♥️
Yep, that’s it!

When we were checking out 7 seater vehicles last year we had the 4M Q7 for a weekend, and then again on a later weekend.. really let’s you try out the practicality of it, child seats, and living with it in your normal family routine. The Volvo and BMW dealers offered the same overnight test drive of their vehicles.