Rs3 PFL/FL vs PFL s3 handling

Craig_s85

Reaction score
I currently have a 2015 s3 saloon and I'm possibly looking to upgrade to an rs3.

I'm wandering how they compare as on a spirited drive in the s3 the other day I hit a bump mid corner which really unsettled the car.

Reading a few threads on here it seems to be a trait of the car but is the PFL and FL rs3 the same?

RS3 FL is sharper into the corners as standard(owing to the alloy block), but throw a H&R rear arb on a PFL, and Unless youre on a track you’ll never properly notice. if you do, then your pushing it to hard on a public road.
To many people get wrapped up in bragging rights, but if you’re in the real world and a conscientious driver then there’s nothing in it.

flame me FL owners

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso
It's not quite the question being asked, but I went from a FL 2018 S3 Sportback to a PFL 2016 RS3 a few months ago...

The overwhelming impression I get from the RS3 in comparison to the S3 is of weight and authority. It's a much meatier feel to the steering and, despite larger wheels and less suspension travel, the RS rides more comfortably on the whole. The S3 hardly danced down a B road, yet by comparison again the RS feels like it's bludgeoning undulations and imperfections into submission. I guess the damping rates are probably a little slower in the RS3.

I personally wouldn't swap from the "lesser" car on account of handling alone, but the RS3 package as a whole surprised me with how differently it feels - every drive is an experience and I would certainly put in a recommendation for a PFL with sports exhaust if you are otherwise only considering a FL. I personally feel there is a narrowing opportunity to own a big-engined hatchback at reasonably affordable prices, while they're still modern enough to use every day. The likes of the Golf R32, Alfa 147 GTA, M140i etc with 3.0+ engines are already history, so too will be the 2.5 5-cylinder RS3 soon enough...

Reactions: 8YARWY and jimojameso
I went from a 2015 S3 to 2016 RS3.
Handling wise the RS3 is probably better, but i don’t track it so not much differance day-to-day driving.
The biggest change is the theatre - the RS3 is an absolute experience everytime you take it out.
You don’t get to use the full speed on the UK roads most of the time, but the exhaust & engine note are worth the upgrade alone. The sound from the sports exhaust is an absolute dream!

I swapped from a 2016 S3 to a 2018 RS3 (both saloons) and I'd agree with everything that Djpfrozenp said - the big difference on the road is the sheer theatre of the RS3. The RS3 is definitely taughter, but in town driving when in comfort mode the gearbox is quite a bit 'jerkier' than the S3. On a long run on the motorway there's little in it, both are good quiet long distance cruisers and I've noticed very little difference in fuel consumption on a long run.

I've now taken them both on track and the RS3 is better, no surprise there, but my S3 gripped better and I think that the difference was largely in the tyres (Conti Sport Contacts on the S3; Pirelli P zeros on the RS3). The RS3 was still pulling hard at north of 135 where the S3 was definitely slowing much above 125.

I'll be changing the tyres on the RS3 shortly probably to Sport Contact 7s or Pilot Sport 4S. I also agree with Marky 79 that if you notice the handling difference on the public road, either there's something wrong or you're pushing it too hard.

Thise gearbox issues are more than solved by a TCU flash and I'd advise anyone who hasn't to do it. Massive drivability improvement. Huge

Put it like this, a good driver in an S3 will be quicker than an average driver in an RS3.
Handling is simply about feel on the road and different people 'like' different traits and if you genuinely feel you are slowed by an S3s road handling then get on a track.
Bumps mid corner unsettle most vehicles and is something you can never get rid of, just how you react to it.

From a Golf R I was happy with I wanted a S3 saloon. Drove quite a few, including one loaned to me for a few days by a friend. The S3 is fast, balanced and very competent. There is a reason the old bill use quite a few of them.

I bought an RS3 for a couple of reasons but mainly because it is an occasion when you drive it, puts a grin on my face. Realistically not a great deal in it on a public road performance and handling but for a sense of occasion there is no question.

I think the S3 is probably better balanced and an 'easier' drive as there is a lot less weight up front but the difference to the later DAZA/DWNA engines is minimal especially when you get used to it.

I currently have a 2015 s3 saloon and I'm possibly looking to upgrade to an rs3.

I'm wandering how they compare as on a spirited drive in the s3 the other day I hit a bump mid corner which really unsettled the car.

Reading a few threads on here it seems to be a trait of the car but is the PFL and FL rs3 the same?
You won't regret it!

I went from an 8V S3 years ago eventually into an FL RS3 and now thanks to covid meaning I barely touched it, I sold for a good profit and bought another 8V S3.

I adore my S3, they are great cars, pocket rockets that enable you to have so much fun, but I assure you if you change to an RS3 you won't look back, I regret my decision regularly to be honest. The noise of the 5pot, the drama, the looks. It's not an enormous upgrade on the S3 in any single area imo, it's maybe 10-15% better in every department, which makes the overall package outrageous by comparison. On a very spirited drive I ended up with a much bigger smile on my face in the RS, and that's not to say the S3 isn't a phenomenal car, because it is, but the RS is just.... a level up.

Regarding handling, most cars will be slightly unsettled hitting bumps on turning if you catch them wrong, I wouldn't say it's a handling characteristic, But I certainly had more confidence throwing the RS into bends than I do the S3, maybe the MPS4S just hit better on the RS, or may it was just all in my head. Who knows.