RS3 OPF/GPF

AlwaysBeenS3

Reaction score
evening all

Could someone please tell me from what registration date did the GPF/OPF filter come into force?

evening all

Could someone please tell me from what registration date did the GPF/OPF filter come into force?

I don’t know the exact date it came into force but I got my RS3 delivered to UK just before they halted production in April 2018.
It was basically in one of the last batch to beat the deadline and does not have the filters installed.

However my daughter has just took ownership of her factory ordered 2019 RS3 Sport Edition and that has the Filters installed, first impressions are the filters have destroyed the unique RS3 sound. Much quieter in every way, still has the unique 5 cylinder sound but the exhaust pops, farts and backfires have all but disappeared.

A sad reflection of where the industry is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Callump01, jimojameso, zippster and 2 others
Well explained

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170, jimojameso and zippster
Production stopped in 2018 whilst they went through the motions of type approval in different Configurations.

Order books re opened a few months back.

Picture of said filters.

a0218801b66b9abdb9dbc02cb014d6d8.jpg

Reactions: Dan_DJT, AudiNutta, DW81 and 1 other person
The sound has been transformed, what was once a great sounding vehicle with all the pops and bangs

Does that mean that anything registered after April 2018 will have GPF?

What’s the best way to tell the car has a GPF? No pops and bangs on overrun? Anything else? Anything physical one can check for?

The sound has been transformed, what was once a great sounding vehicle with all the pops and bangs

What’s the best way to tell the car has a GPF? No pops and bangs on overrun? Anything else? Anything physical one can check for?

Anything registered in 2019 is a WLTP car.

Reactions: AlwaysBeenS3 and sve170

I have to disagree, it is still a great sounding car. If I’m being honest I forget that the pops crackles and bangs are there now. Much prefer the sound of that 5 pot at full chat balancing it on the red line before the limiter kicks in

Reactions: RS-3, Riko0073, hopgop1 and 2 others
Agreed, my previous comment may have been quite strong, the 5 pot is still one of the best sounding engines. I think it may be the teenager in me that is making me not think straight :highly amused:

Reactions: DW81, NevMan and sve170
Hey all, I've got delivery of my saloon 2019 model and rightly said the sound is dead. I'm new to the RS3. I had a RS6 C7 with a milltek non res cat back which woke up hell in the mornings...a right anti social joy!
Has anyone thought or had a milltek exhaust fitted to a GPF model yet?

Hey all, I've got delivery of my saloon 2019 model and rightly said the sound is dead. I'm new to the RS3. I had a RS6 C7 with a milltek non res cat back which woke up hell in the mornings...a right anti social joy!
Has anyone thought or had a milltek exhaust fitted to a GPF model yet?

You’ll need to find a way to override the sensors around the GPF (see picture in my post further up).

Thanks, the Milltek has the following, would this not aid in getting a better performance exhaust output?
Milltek System Number: SSXAU740
Consists of:
1 x Front Silencer Bypass
1 x HollowTek Rear Silencer {Re-uses OE Valve Motors}

You’ll need to find a way to override the sensors around the GPF (see picture in my post further up).

Ok, any idea how to ‘override’ the sensors?
If overridden, will it cause any other issues.
I did notice on another post that overriding the sensors invalidates the engine, gearbox and drive-train warranty?

My daughters 2019 RS3 has lost all the great sounds, pops, bangs compared with my 2018 FL model, she is not impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, any idea how to ‘override’ the sensors?
If overridden, will it cause any other issues.
I did notice on another post that overriding the sensors invalidates the engine, gearbox and drive-train warranty?

My daughters 2019 RS3 has lost all the great sounds, pops, bangs compared with my 2018 FL model, she is not impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will require a remap. The GPF has a DP sensor over the filter, if it reports zero DP it will create a CEL. Car will prob run fine you will just have a light on the dash

It will require a remap. The GPF has a DP sensor over the filter, if it reports zero DP it will create a CEL. Car will prob run fine you will just have a light on the dash

Ok thanks, will this now bring back the great sound of an RS3?

Prob not, as the pops etc will have been removed from the map to improve emissions. To get pops etc you need to ****** the ignition and chuck in a wee bit of fuel. Would need to be mapped back in (just guessing though)

Reactions: sve170

If you remove it, it will void the warranty just the same as a remap would... you’d have to put it back before Audi see it.

Same as removing the cat would void the warranty.

Got a friend who’s gearbox blew a hole in itself the day it was mapped, but the gearbox had issues before apparently. Audi’s primary explanation for the gearbox failure was lack of secondary cats causing a torque spike.. remap also but the cats were the MAIN explanation for it.

If you remove it, it will void the warranty just the same as a remap would... you’d have to put it back before Audi see it.

Same as removing the cat would void the warranty.

Got a friend who’s gearbox blew a hole in itself the day it was mapped, but the gearbox had issues before apparently. Audi’s primary explanation for the gearbox failure was lack of secondary cats causing a torque spike.. remap also but the cats were the MAIN explanation for it.

Yup, chance you take. There are cars running over 700whp and gearbox is holding up. I dont really care about the warranty but not everyone is like me

Reactions: AudiNutta
I can't seem to find anyone fitting or any video of a milltek non res cat on a 2019 model. Is this a no go area or there is no real point? I am still holding back on a milltek as paying £1,500 for the same effect as a OEM is pointless

I can't seem to find anyone fitting or any video of a milltek non res cat on a 2019 model. Is this a no go area or there is no real point? I am still holding back on a milltek as paying £1,500 for the same effect as a OEM is pointless

Are you in the UK?

Save your money, loads of issues with Milltek on the facelift RS3 that have been discussed frequently on here.

Reactions: NevMan

Like above I don’t see the point. I had my car on the ramp the other day and unless you are going to bin the CAT and GPF I would save your money. Go to a local exhaust fitting and get them to remove the 2 small resonators near the rear of the exhaust (£100?) and that’s as good as you will get for decent money.

Thanks all, still not much out there on YouTube etc on Milltek for a 2019 model. I guess it's one of those things to live with.
I have not reached 1k on the clock yet, hoping over time I get more character in the exhaust over time

There is any way of get the pops and bang in my RS3 OPF and not loosing warranty? What i should change?

There is any way of get the pops and bang in my RS3 OPF and not loosing warranty? What i should change?

Not really, it is tune related, and if you modify the tune it will affect the warranty.

The ecu is tuned for negative timing and rich fuelling at zero load ( when you back off the throttle). This creates the crackles and pops. So if you’re going to modify the ecu then you may as well tune for more power.

Not really, it is tune related, and if you modify the tune it will affect the warranty.

The ecu is tuned for negative timing and rich fuelling at zero load ( when you back off the throttle). This creates the crackles and pops. So if you’re going to modify the ecu then you may as well tune for more power.

So maybe the only chance is to tune with ABT wich i read you don't loose the warranty. But not sure if with ABT tune you get back pops.

Also the price is 4.000€ but i would pay it if i have back that sound.

That is an insane amount of money for pops and crackles

So maybe the only chance is to tune with ABT wich i read you don't loose the warranty. But not sure if with ABT tune you get back pops.

No warranty in UK though assuming UK based.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Borjaworld

You would still void the Audi warranty. ABT provide a third party warranty through an underwriter.

Reactions: NevMan and Borjaworld
Here in Switzerland with Abt , the original Audi warranty is kept but indeed it’s expensive , about 40 ps for 4500 euro (only tune ) and 70 ps for 6300 euros ( tune + inter cooler )... that’s for the gpf RS3 2019
Not sure it s’changes the sound though

I was looking at you tube review of the 19 AMG C63s, while he gave the car a good wrap, he spent about 50% of the time bitching about the fact that exhaust was quieter and lost the pops and crackles.

The guy used to own the previous model so he was absolutely gutted with the exhaust sound on the new one. He’s conclusion was that he could only recommend the car for someone that wasn’t familiar the classic c63s noise.

The guys on the AMG Owners forum are also bitching and claiming conspiracy. They claim the AMG noise was there in the initial release promotion of the car. They think those cars were moded by AMG For the release promotion.

With ABT, they will change the ECU (or rather add a box to it), but they will not do anything regarding the pops & bangs - not even sure that they are allowed to. I would really like to see that back too, it's kinda why I loved the 5-cylinder. I think that only a custom tune could do that, maybe MRC would have more info.. :)

Any news from any owner with that issue? I saw this post on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/allcarperf...BxLp6oY5x-Rs2zhUNHo-e0HM67RHw&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARC7tfF8k_MkdN5ga-lyfFdtbjPIvOvNntP6rmKhVzOAbBIzF7IJQT4RL-wYirONGMR24vTLqgKQdgs6cZReJ3_bvtOsIq4BB7kQ6ESmjfP9FXeqngiG4RGRDuc0CdpQdI3pJrHJg3J1axeuujGgXuLYuqW48Y2_Tfp2mzEIIkUbXQTvIxF7OHxgnDFSYCJ0komvfYrkf7NyOX22tmXH4Yz_6HLDrb5iUsyNDQJhJW2DToYej2QNZ10AnVaq7-A9U_kVquRM94uUOZrUfi9ROEElvDxjRfcVdVrrYgChPqwUBZp-fiX77HfiHyz0bAtxrQ9iPauDUi4uDo0gEJp-9-s

I have to disagree, it is still a great sounding car. If I’m being honest I forget that the pops crackles and bangs are there now. Much prefer the sound of that 5 pot at full chat balancing it on the red line before the limiter kicks in
Yes you hear less exhaust but because thats muted the engine is more pronounced. I would still rather it had nor opf and cat